Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding my 360

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If the direct firmware auditing happens I guess c4eva's old "they can't directly check for firmware" line will be well and truly debunked.

The two consoles thing is the right idea :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I'll be perfectly honest, if you want to keep xbox live then you shouldn't crack your firmware. You shouldn't play backups online at all. If you do then you're always running the risk of a banning. Last year people reported that even though they used the CK3 or another method to power the drive for flashing they still got banned. The powering-on-console-without-dvd-drive flag is only an indicator that something is amiss - Microsoft utilise other checks, over a period of time, to verify that you have indeed modified the console.

If you ask me, it makes no difference which way you power the drive for flashing. If you flash your drive it won't be the way you powered it on that'll give up the ghost, it's the firmware itself ;)

Thanks thats the explanation i needed..

ok so after flashing the benq drive using just the sata cable and the sata card i buy.. whats the next step.. i suppose 1st thing to do would be remove the wireless xbox adapter.. do i still need to sign into my profile and stuff? sorry for all the questions.. and thanks for all your help!!

I'm afraid it appears you didn't read the charter. Piracy/Burning Games to DVD+/-R DLs isn't to be discussed here.

I'd advise you to rethink your post.

I'm afraid it appears you didn't read the charter. Piracy/Burning Games to DVD+/-R DLs isn't to be discussed here.

I'd advise you to rethink your post.

I was talking about making backups of my own games.. i have two kids and my originals are always getting destroyed by toddlers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Stab*City wrote: »
    I was talking about making backups of my own games.. i have two kids and my originals are always getting destroyed by toddlers..

I'm not 100%, but I think in Ireland it MAY still be illegal to backup your own movies/games. The reason being, your defeating the protection system which is on the disc.

Functionality wise there will be no difference, use your existing profile, use discs as normal. The 360 uses dvd+r dl as it's media source, short of movies/dvd r's, nothing else works.

It may be obselete, but at the time I was flashing drives - certain firmware revisions needed a "trigger" disc to boot certain things. Some of the lads are no doubt more up to date on it than me & can ellaborate better. I remember upgrading the firmware (because the trigger thing was annoying me), and the newer f/w didnt need the trigger.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'm not 100%, but I think in Ireland it MAY still be illegal to backup your own movies/games. The reason being, your defeating the protection system which is on the disc.

Functionality wise there will be no difference, use your existing profile, use discs as normal. The 360 uses dvd+r dl as it's media source, short of movies/dvd r's, nothing else works.

It may be obselete, but at the time I was flashing drives - certain firmware revisions needed a "trigger" disc to boot certain things. Some of the lads are no doubt more up to date on it than me & can ellaborate better. I remember upgrading the firmware (because the trigger thing was annoying me), and the newer f/w didnt need the trigger.

The activation mode 0800 disc is no longer required unless you're hanging around with a Hitachi drive that has not got an iXtreme LT release or a lower firmware (v1.61). Lite touch is supposed to be indistinguishable from the real firmware, so c4eva had to drop things like wave checks etc :)

@Stab*City: The charter's fairly clear on discussion of backups, there is to be none whatsoever - there are no qualifications like "if you're talking about piracy, no backups discussion, otherwise it's grand". Wouldn't want to see a ban handed down, especially after you going through the trouble to learn it all :)

The 360 uses dvd+r dl as it's media source, short of movies/dvd r's, nothing else works.

good to know.. went to pc world and maplin and they didnt even have a pci sata card between em!! as usual...
    @Stab*City: The charter's fairly clear on discussion of backups, there is to be none whatsoever - there are no qualifications like "if you're talking about piracy, no backups discussion, otherwise it's grand". Wouldn't want to see a ban handed down, especially after you going through the trouble to learn it all :)

No worries thanks for the heads up.. wont mention it again..

So i guess its off to ebay for me.. and thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge with me!!:):)

No hassle, and sure if you need some more assistance once you get up and running then just drop back here and if I don't help you I'm sure somebody else will :)

For what it's worth, I swear by Verbatim DVD+R DL media :)

ok so looks like im ready to rock i got the sata card in the post!

Basically;

Open the 360
    If your tool-less (as I was doing mine), use the vintage method of leave the 360 to power the dvd drive, but disconnect its sata cable & instead connect an sata from your pc to the 360's drive.
    Read out the existing firmware & drive-key, & make a backup of them
    Flash ixtreme LT, or whatever custom firmware you wish (make sure your drive-key has been added to the new firmware)

It's never as simple as that without the proper tools etc, but thats the basic premise. By the way it doesnt work with every sata controller, so you may need to check your compatability.

when making a backup of existing firmware & drive key is this done within jungleflasher or how?

• Advertisement

Wow i didnt realise the discs would be so expensive in pc world they are €39.99 for 8 discs!! On ebay i picked up 10 from cork for €12.00 including shipping.. now gotta wait for them to be delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

try these https://www.justmedia.ie/p-2105-x-layer-dvdr-dl-25-pack.aspx iv been using them there great but get off this subject its dodgy ground

Wow i didnt realise the discs would be so expensive in pc world they are €39.99 for 8 discs!! On ebay i picked up 10 from cork for €12.00 including shipping.. now gotta wait for them to be delivered.

Yep high street Ireland is a joke for computing, Remember seeing 10 Verb DL`s in maplins for €48 :eek:

Online is the only bet.

cisk wrote: »
    Yep high street Ireland is a joke for computing, Remember seeing 10 Verb DL`s in maplins for €48 :eek:

Online is the only bet.

Its a complete joke the rip off prices these companies charge.. Maplin And Pc World being two of the biggest overchargers.. They also wanted close to 40 in maplin for a bog standard sata card!!

when making a backup of existing firmware & drive key is this done within jungleflasher or how?

Anyone? The .bin file jungleflasher promts to save during the process is this a back up of my original dvd key/firmware? do i actually have to write the dvd key down or what?

Anyone?

Well if JungleFlasher is what your using, then yes that will be how it's done. You read out the existing firmware, & save the drive-key as a text file if you like. I think that's how I did mine...

Regardless, the drive key will be in the existing firmware, so all you have to do is load it into JF to see what it is.

Simply follow the Jungleflasher Guide - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X0I9TGOZ

Simply follow the Jungleflasher Guide - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X0I9TGOZ

Or that :pac:

See post #7 xD

Ok i have read all the tutorials numerous times.. the question i was asking before i take the plunge is during the jungleflasher guide you read the firmware and then are prompted to save a .bin file is this bin file a backup of my original firmware and dvd key or do i have to note the dvd myself like on paper or somethin?

Just want to be sure, to be sure that i have everything i need backed up before i flash..

• Advertisement

Ok i have read all the tutorials numerous times.. the question i was asking before i take the plunge is during the jungleflasher guide you read the firmware and then are prompted to save a .bin file is this bin file a backup of my original firmware and dvd key or do i have to note the dvd myself like on paper or somethin?

Just want to be sure, to be sure that i have everything i need backed up before i flash..

Yep, the bin file is the firmware. I'd save the drive-key as a text file too, just to be safe, incase the file ever got corrupted & couldn't be read.

Thats exactly what i wanna hear.. good stuff looks like im ready to rock.. should have the verbs tomo.. again thanks for all the help everyone..:D

Did you do the job by now, or are you waiting on the SATA adapter?

Did you do the job by now, or are you waiting on the SATA adapter?

Sata adapter came yesterday and the verbs should be here tomorrow so im gonna do it then.. Tonight im going to load up xbmc on my ol skool box.. if i can find a controller that is!

Im having a serious nightmare with this..

Ok so i have a 360 with a benq drive.. im trying to flash the drive using jungleflasher. Im having a couple problems to say the least.. Im using an old compaq running winxp sp3 with .net 2.0 installed.. i purchased the correct VIA 6421 pci sata card.. i have downloaded and installed the drivers suggested on the jungleflasher guide.. Then followed the instructions in the guide on removing them, rebooted (after reboot sata card still there with yellow exclamation mark). Then when i try to power up the xbox while connected to my pc via the pci sata card using the correct port (as per jungleflasher guide) the thing just freezes.. So as per the guide i switched pci slots and repaeated all steps again.. i have done all this many times over the last ten hours and still no luck.. somebody please help

spec

360 with benq drive
    via 6421 pci sata card with jungleflasher recommended drivers installed then uninstalled
    powering drive using xbox power
    old compaq running xp sp3
    .net 2.0

Is the yellow exclamation mark still there?

hi again! :D sure is

thank god your always online!!:D:D:)

Just doublechecked and yes under scsi/raid in the DM i have a yellow exclamation on VIA VT6421 RAID controller

Also compaq is using an old amd chip and bout 200mb memory..

hi again! :D sure is

thank god your always online!!:D:D:)

Just doublechecked and yes under scsi/raid in the DM i have a yellow exclamation on VIA VT6421 RAID controller

Well until that mark is gone, forget about JungleFlasher. You have a driver error, or an incompatibility somewhere. Can you download XP drivers from the SATA manufacturers website directly?

• Advertisement

Well until that mark is gone, forget about JungleFlasher. You have a driver error, or an incompatibility somewhere. Can you download XP drivers from the SATA manufacturers website directly?

But the jungleflasher tuts says to delete the driver and reboot if after reboot the yellow exclamation mark is still there your good to go?

"Upon reboot, verify VIA 6421 still has a Yellow Exclamation Mark in Device Manager
    You have successfully removed VIA drivers from your machine"

Quote from the guide

Advertisement