Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citation in Abstract - should it be done?

Options
  • 20-08-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi

I'm just writing the abstract for my Masters Thesis and was wondering if it is ok to use some citations. I can write up to 500 words so I am able to say quite a bit. My study compared 2 different programmes for the treatment of a psychological disorder and I wanted to cite the names of the people who designed the original programmes which mine were based on. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I've seen it done but its not very common. Your introduction would be the place to name, unless the sole purpose of the thesis is the comparison of both models. I would keep it short; 'this study....compares Jones (2005) model of.....' should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I don't think it would be necessary unless you are using a direct quote, you should be able to refer to different writers or books without having to put in footnotes. Like efla said I haven't seen it done much, but it might be more or less common depending on the discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've always used citations in any abstracts I've written. It's not that I deliberately set out to do it, but it always ends up that I need to include a reference or very brief clarification in a footnote.

One or two citations is fine, but any more than that would probably be a little much. Obviously it depends on your discipline, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kitkat.3b4t

Hi
    Thanks for all your replies. I intend to use just 2 citations, the names of the individuals who designed each programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thesis.direct

Citations in abstract should be avoided unless your thesis is focused on one work (in which case you can't avoid ref to that work).

• Advertisement
Advertisement