Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiot Kids-Rotweiller...

Options
  • 20-08-2010 4:09pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last monday, while going for our usual walk, there we're some kids hanging about in one of the car parks we walk through.

Normally, we would leave our Rottie, Milo, off the lead(if no one is around of course) and throw a tennis ball for him, which he loves.

Obviously, when we saw these kids, i decided not to do it, as they might get frightened, and startle the dog which my lead to him being frightened.

While we were walking away, the kids, low and behold, desided in their devine wisdom to, make a "sksss sksss sksss" sound, and keep doing it which was driving the dog a little mad, as he thought the kids wanted to play with him, so he was anxious to get over to them!

I felt like leaving him off the lead, and let him run over to the kids, i would **** myself if a 50kg rottie was running towards me.

I didn't in the end.....

I just couldn't figure out why these idiots done such a thing? it's been bothering me all week, and i'm sorry if this is the wrong place for it, but i just had to say it to someone! :(

what would you have done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Maybe they wanted to pet him?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

More likely they wanted to make him bark and growl to show how dangerous he is cos he's an RB dog! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Don't mind them OP - people usher their kids/small dogs miles away from our guy when they see him coming - he's a golden retriever pup on his lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

eeloe wrote: »
    Last monday, while going for our usual walk, there we're some kids hanging about in one of the car parks we walk through.

Normally, we would leave our Rottie, Milo, off the lead(if no one is around of course) and throw a tennis ball for him, which he loves.

Obviously, when we saw these kids, i decided not to do it, as they might get frightened, and startle the dog which my lead to him being frightened.

While we were walking away, the kids, low and behold, desided in their devine wisdom to, make a "sksss sksss sksss" sound, and keep doing it which was driving the dog a little mad, as he thought the kids wanted to play with him, so he was anxious to get over to them!

I felt like leaving him off the lead, and let him run over to the kids, i would **** myself if a 50kg rottie was running towards me.

I didn't in the end.....

I just couldn't figure out why these idiots done such a thing? it's been bothering me all week, and i'm sorry if this is the wrong place for it, but i just had to say it to someone! :(

what would you have done?

I have had the same thing while walking my German shep. Its usually the 13 to 16 year old hoodie thinking he is macho.

On a side note, this Sksss sound is a myth & wouldnt mean anything to a dog unless he has been trained to attack on a sksss comand?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have had the same thing while walking my German shep. Its usually the 13 to 16 year old hoodie thinking he is macho.

On a side note, this Sksss sound is a myth & wouldnt mean anything to a dog unless he has been trained to attack on a sksss comand?:confused:
    I've always found that it gets dogs' attention, presumably because it sounds like a cat hissing. When I was growing up it was used to alert our terrier that there was a cat on the property who needed to be seen off.

Kind of similar to the pshhhwshhhhwshhh noise used to attract cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I would have just laughed it off, they were obviously just looking to get a rise out of you or your dog so I wouldn't have took the bait. Unfortunately you can't cure stupid!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Some thing similar happened to me a few years back, i walked my gs up to them quietly giving him the command to speak , he started barking they werent long moving away , no more noises were made from then on when passing them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Saw in a movie somewhere a dog that was trained to jump up and slobber all over people when given the command 'kill' :D Perhaps you should train him to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Last year when I brought one of my dogs to the vet for a check up, a man in there did that. He had no animals with him, he seemed to be waiting to buy something. Of course, it got my girl's attention but I got her settled quickly. And this is just a small terrier cross, for crying out loud.

I don't know if he thought he was being funny but I gave him a cold stare and then we ignored him. It might have been because there was just me and my dog in the waiting area at that moment. If he thought he could freak us out or intimidate us, he was way out of luck.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Just the mentality of them got to me?

I mean, they were purposely trying to wind the dog up, like if it was someone else who didn't have the dog trained and the dog got loose, I'd hate to imagine what would happen!

I know my dog wouldn't hurt them(probably just lick them to death).

If they go at it again, I might just leave him off the lead and give them a good scare! Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Bad parents = punks. And there are alot of punks. Maybe we should license parents too.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I don't understand why kids do this either with big dogs. I mean it's probably just kids being kid but yesturday I was out walking Holly and get asked if she is a white German Sheperd by a bunch of kids which she is, then I get asked if she is able to fight dogs?? I always find it's better to move away from groups of kids when letting her off the lead to play as strange children CAN be aggrovating to dogs without meaning to be and a big dog can do damage quickly even if it's just playing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Very cynical question about being able fight other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

kylith wrote: »
    Kind of similar to the pshhhwshhhhwshhh noise used to attract cats.

That one never made any sense to me... have you ever seen a cat actually coming closer when you make that kind of sound? Usually it makes them even more wary, as it sounds like you're hissing at them... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shenshen wrote: »
    That one never made any sense to me... have you ever seen a cat actually coming closer when you make that kind of sound? Usually it makes them even more wary, as it sounds like you're hissing at them... :confused:
    Yep. You crouch down, extend your hand, rub your thumb and first two fingers together (like the cat owes you money) and say 'pshwshwsh', and they come closer. I've found it works with my friend's cats, stable cats, cats in the street... I have no idea why though.

I've not tried it for a while, since the only reason I'd have to attract cats would be to feed my dogs (joke!). Maybe the cats have gotten wise to it.

Advertisement