Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Tips

• 20-08-2010 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Leaving Cert in 2011. I need to do well (around 530 - 550). I want to know if any one did that well, how you studied, or what did you do to help you focus.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ilikesunshine

got 540 expaected 600 to fall into my lap it didn't ! just do homework and you'll get 550+ once your naturally good at your subjects ....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bambi88

I got 515 through sheer hard work! I knew what I wanted and needed and so I had to work hard. Do at least three hours homework a night and you will do fine! Your right by starting at the start of the year and not half way through good luck!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

:DI just got 480 and I didn't study that much. Of course the jump from 480-530 is a much harder one than 430-480 but I have some knowledge of how to study.

There's probably too much talk about the 'proper' way to study and there is a different way for everyone. I can not study around other people so never did after school study in 6th year. I walk around and talk out loud to learn things.

In terms of the foreign languages and even Irish, the most useful thing you can do is learn loads and LOADS of stuff for your oral. It really improves your paper. Also I used to listen to lots and lots of German radio and music. Even though I might not have understood most of it, you do pick up a few words, improve your accent and it also makes you more enthusiastic. If you sre doing german, the bands 'Juli' and 'Silbermond' are very accessible.

For theoretical subjects, such as Biology, geography or business, make sure you understand the chapter when you read it first... then learn it. Very simple but I know so many people who get this wrong. Have a friend who got Biology grinds for a year and ended up with a C3. You really don't need grinds for these subjects, people get them out of laziness... Just learn everything as well as you can. If you are leaving out sections in the book, don't do so until the end of the year. I left out loads for Biology and I was lucky to end up with a B1.

English is very difficult to do well in but even if you are bad now you can improve so much in a year. I got a C in the JC and got an A2 yesterday. If you want to do really well and you really are struggling, do what I did. I learned off one college level essay on each of Yeats, Boland and Longley. I was ridiculed for this by some people but it gor me my A2. It also really improved my English for paper one as the structure of my sentences became more fluid. Just like you would in French or German. Many people don't know how to improve their English as they speak it everyday. Every essay you do will improve your English, and at the start of the year don't worry if your spending a little too much time on getting it just right. One last thing for Englsih - Good notes are key especially in the upcoming weeks to exams.

Also if you have any projects to do make sure you get most of them done before christmas. It'll stand to you in the second term.

Don't stress or feel sorry for yourself like a lot of us did this year because that will make you lose your focus. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

Thanks. Well its good that i realise i have to start nearly as soon as i go back!! They are very good ideas. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

Just to add im doing
    Irish OL
    English HL (my mum has an M.A. in Engish)
    Maths HL
    History HL
    Biology HL
    Home Ec HL
    Spanish HL
    and will start Ag. Science in September to bring up my points

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

A little study a lot, not a lot of study a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 koolkitty

I tink it really helps if u listen in class and try 2 love all ur subjects..like rele start gettin into dem wit a keen interest!! :D

Also goin over the stuff u did dat day and den at d weekend do like a 'mental' summary sorta ting of everything u did dat week and note the important stuf...and if u don't understand something dont let it defeat ya just keep at it until ur brain is f$$kin fried!! LOL.

Hope that helps!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

A little study a lot, not a lot of study a little.
    That's what the ginger kid who got like 100 As in his JC said, right?
    Anyways, THIS.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

That's what the ginger kid who got like 100 As in his JC said, right?
    Anyways, THIS.

I think so some red-head chap definitely said it on TV before - but it's good advice!

Also do your homework to the best of your ability. Instead of just answering the questions like the teacher asked, read through the chapter, try answer the questions with the book closed, then open the book when you have them all done and compare your answers with the information in the textbook. It will take longer but it is almost better than studying.

Studying methods differ for a lot of people, but in my opinion, if you haven't written anything down after studying, then you haven't learned. Testing myself was the best way of studying, in my opinion. Doing exam questions in the time allowed, in exam conditions (no music, no phone, no book open, no breaks) is great practice!

Always be aware of practicing questions and timing - in Geography there is no point doing amazing answers for homework when it takes you 25 minutes to write it - you are only allowed 12 minutes, 32 for Geoecology. Some subjects like Accounting are impossible to do in the time allowed unless you practice practice practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

Consistency is key. Everyone studies and learns differently. But like everyone said if you always do a bit rather then alot in one go you should be fine.

I am lucky because I'm naturally smart so I didn't need to bust my ass during the year. All I did was enough to get by. Before the mocks and the 2/3 weeks before the leaving was when I did most of my work. Although I got 535 I do not recomend this as it is alot of pressure if your trying to do everything at the end. If you are not goos at working under pressure then start earlier and take it easy. To be honest I was never able to study unless I was under pressure because I need motivation. Not everyone is like me but what I'm saying is find what works for you as early as possible in the year and do it.

I did however consistantly do work in maths and english because they are test in which you can't cram in my opinion. The same goes for irish and other languages (I didn't do any though). When studying Maths the best thing to do is start early and do every question in your book. Start slow and if you get stuck look in your book at the examples and keep trying till you understand where you went wrong. Once you 'get it' in maths you can try harder questions. Slowly start using your book and examples/solutions less and less and build up your speed. Then just keep doing past papers and when your confident with the paper time yourself to get each question under the 20mins. The timing doesn't have to be done till near the end of the year but don't forget that you'll be under stress in the actual test and being able to do each question under the time limit is very important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

do a little study every day and concentrate on one thing only per study session eg Circular Motion in physics. don't divide your time with different sections. start studying as early as possible and this way you won't have to be studying as hard during the easter holidays before the LC. a load of people i know left it til easter to cram, and they regretted leaving it that late.
    the advice Timbuk2 gave is sound. you need to write down your own notes and understand them. no good comes from just reading a book. you need to analyse and break it down and really get to grips with it.
    time yourself when doing exam questions though maybe not when you're beginning. just try to get a feel for the paper at the start and then progress onto timing. closer to the exam (after christmas maybe), sit down at weekends, and do a full paper in the time given, no notes/books/anything. and do the timing out. if you're spending too much time on a question, LEAVE IT! you're not going to gain any marks if you're spending an extra 10 mins on it.

hope this helps :)

Advertisement