Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

semi-auto 308 rifle and semi-auto .22 pistol wanted

• 20-08-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30

hi im looking for a semi 308 rifle, i would be looking for in the line of a fal or hk g3
    if anyone has one for sale please contact me
    im also looking for a 22 pistol ruger s&W or sig mosquito thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

Are they not restrcited? Fal, that's what the irish army have right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

kay 9 wrote: »
    Are they not restrcited? Fal, that's what the irish army have right?

the Irish DF HAD the FN FAL,
    I know of 1 guy to the best of my knowledge with an FN/FAL SEMI Auto .308

Although, licencing one could be fun. As they do look Evil!

And not very practical as a hunting or competitive rifle.
    OP what do you want it for ? as you will need a purpose for your FCA1 Form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hunting or target shooting is perfectly fine.However they are serious enough money.
    In order of prices in rifles SIG,HK,FN FAL[derivatives].
    Certainly they can be liscensed.Once you are willing to fight the might of your CS who now doubt will play at silly buggers with you.:rolleyes:
    I know of two people with a HK91[not G3 as that is a select fire version],and are extremly happy with them. As for accruaccy,on the HK,one of the most accurate GI semis ever built.Exellent rifle for deer and target,once you get used to it's appaling trigger pull and joke of a stock if you are over 4ft.:D
    Also make sure if you are shooting competitions.Get the most extreme right firing line.The HKs have very violent shell ejection.:eek: Not uncommon for them to chuck brass up to 20 plus ft away.
    Dont be put off by the it cant be liscensed ,inaccruate etc here.They are simply the natural evoloution of firearms[,and those two are pushing classic age now.].Were we to have the same attitude to cars here,we would be still rattling around in Model T Fords.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 gunnut

i have a m1 garand in 308 i got the licence fine, i allways liked the look of the fal and hk,
    thanks grizzly 45 its the hk 91 semi auto not the g3 im looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

HOw did your FO react when you told him you were applying for a semi centrefire....?

If you dont mind me asking what do you use it for, target or hunting ...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

All would be on my list, In dublin so dont think i will even bother approaching an FO

What have you got to lose???;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I'd like to get something for target shooting, I'd like something more than a 22 rimfire maybe a 223 or even bigger 308? but i dont see getting one of these first off without being automatically suspected of something ( I just think they would view it very suspiciously) I'd like a classic like the garand, but I never guessed a FAL or a G3 were possible at all.
    Would like something that is reasonably common so ammunition would be available and possibly cheaper

Well you could always go and get a straight pull bolt action in a FAL or AR15 style rifle if you dont want to go the semi Auto CF hassle. If I was going that route go the Ar15 or AR10 platform route[Bigger reciver for .243 or .308],as you can interchange the uppers to different calibres alot easier.Plus they are easier to "Barbieify" than the G3 or FAL in SPBA.
    But for wiW I'd go and enquire about a semiauto.The more there is of them out there the more the mysterious aura of them shall disapper.:rolleyes:

I have to admit, although I was an annual shooter up till ten years ago, I'm not use to certain abreviations barbifieify? = modify?
    I'm not sure where to start really, approached a club few years ago, but they weren't too flexible about being a member and having some kind of hold off on paying full fees while a license is approved (maybe theres a reason??) nor did they seem keen on anything that appeared semi auto.
    I'm also not certain where to start looking for a rifle as I wasnt aware FAL's or Ar15 were available let alone in a straight pull

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Merch wrote: »
    I'd like to get something for target shooting, I'd like something more than a 22 rimfire maybe a 223 or even bigger 308? but i dont see getting one of these first off without being automatically suspected of something ( I just think they would view it very suspiciously) I'd like a classic like the garand, but I never guessed a FAL or a G3 were possible at all.
    Would like something that is reasonably common so ammunition would be available and possibly cheaper

Lee Enfield .303 is what ya want ;)

Not restricted either :cool:

http://www.vcrai.com/

http://www.fingalsports.com/

Ammo currently €70 per 100 rounds rifles start from in or around €325 :cool:

I have to admit, although I was an annual shooter up till ten years ago, I'm not use to certain abreviations barbifieify? = modify?
    I'm not sure where to start really, approached a club few years ago, but they weren't too flexible about being a member and having some kind of hold off on paying full fees while a license is approved (maybe theres a reason??) nor did they seem keen on anything that appeared semi auto.
    I'm also not certain where to start looking for a rifle as I wasnt aware FAL's or Ar15 were available let alone in a straight pull

Barbieify Slang as in Barbie doll to dress up your semi, usually the AR style rifles with all sorts of accessories.:cool:.

Thats standard with clubs ,nothing odd about that.Plenty of clubs about that dont have problems with what you shoot.So long as you keep within the five sec rule[IE one shot every five secs]you should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 gunnut

tfox wrote: »
    HOw did your FO react when you told him you were applying for a semi centrefire....?

If you dont mind me asking what do you use it for, target or hunting ...?

i use the gun for target shooting,i shot a bit in czech republic i would love to do some competitions out their maby sometime, the FO was grand he just took in my application,the super signed off very slow, i would deff take it to court if they wouldnt sign off, i hate dealing with my local station they were not right with me on a few things, i hate the new laws its like to get ur gun it depends on how sound the super is,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭kieran1141

gunnut wrote: »
    i use the gun for target shooting,i shot a bit in czech republic i would love to do some competitions out their maby sometime, the FO was grand he just took in my application,the super signed off very slow, i would deff take it to court if they wouldnt sign off, i hate dealing with my local station they were not right with me on a few things, i hate the new laws its like to get ur gun it depends on how sound the super is,
    its a pity, but thats the way it seems to work, keep hearing people say that super is sound, ive said it myself we are lucky with the super here, but thats not how in real life it should work. what do they say, differant strokes for differant folks.

Duffy in Galway www.shoot.ie is selling Garands (chambered in .308)

I would love to have one for plinking away with the VCRAI boys down in the midlands, if one could find an old steel scope for it it would be the dogs begonias for me "not a huge fan of open sight rifles"

http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24&products_id=170

Unless those Garands are Bretta[sic][proably the best of the made from Spec 308 Garands] made and still in the grease wrapper.Thats a serious hunk of change.
    Finding a genuine scope and mount for a Garand can be a right barrel of laughs as the scope has to be offset,due to the Garands feeding mechanism,and it is some gunsmithing to set up dead right using the original mounts.Hence the reason Sniper Garands are such big bucks.
    Personally,I thought maybe the quicker solution would be a "scout style" scope and mount rather than drilling&tapping the reciver.

Should add that there is a German company now "improving" the Garand,by building a box mag conversion for it.It takes the old M14 mags,and this is a genuine historical firearm as well,as there is a patent filed for this conversion in 1940 somthing

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Unless those Garands are Bretta[sic][proably the best of the made from Spec 308 Garands] made and still in the grease wrapper.Thats a serious hunk of change.
    Finding a genuine scope and mount for a Garand can be a right barrel of laughs as the scope has to be offset,due to the Garands feeding mechanism,and it is some gunsmithing to set up dead right using the original mounts.Hence the reason Sniper Garands are such big bucks.
    Personally,I thought maybe the quicker solution would be a "scout style" scope and mount rather than drilling&tapping the reciver.

Should add that there is a German company now "improving" the Garand,by building a box mag conversion for it.It takes the old M14 mags,and this is a genuine historical firearm as well,as there is a patent filed for this conversion in 1940 somthing

It's only a pipe dream for me.
    I have not a bob at the moment.

Between buying ammo and paying all my bills there is shag'all left for new toys.
    http://treelinesports.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_37_43&products_id=51
    index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=51

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

OP.... pm me with detalis of what you want, I have a G3.... (not a HK91) and may part with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 GunSmoke

Hi, have a as new sig mosquito. If interested pm me.

Advertisement