Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT555 - Will I need a laptop? 1st year!

Options
  • 20-08-2010 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Just wondering if I'll need to get a laptop? And if so which one?

Also what's the course like? Can't wait to start it, I'm just curious as to what it's actually like! :-)

Carl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I bought a laptop , thinking i'd need it for my computer course and never brought it in with me , in 2nd and 3rd year i needed it badly though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

what you doing in d.i.t gaffo ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

There'll be plenty of computers available to you in DIT free of charge but I find having my own laptop is brilliant for the days when you don't fancy the trek in to use them. My advice is even get a cheap one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

That's International Business and Languages, with French. Great choice, if I don't say so myself.

Personally, yes, it's very handy to have one. I've done it, and my life is easier with it, especially for transporting material.

If you harness the programs you have to work with your course, it makes life so handy. Take notes, use OneNote or EverNote, use Word or OpenOffice, Powerpoint, Excel and the like. Believe me, you'll use all of these in DT555/6/7/8.

Great choice, and welcome to DIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I just finished first year in DT555 and not one person used a laptop in class.

Although, its a huge benefit at home for research. Get Powerpoint on it and get familiar with it! Its essential for the communications class in the second semester and marketing second semester, and management first semester.

Also, buy a usb memory stick! You will need it!

Anymore questions PM me:pac:

• Advertisement

Neil18 is spot-on.

On a side note, Google Docs is very handy too. But, USB stick is very important, as stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gaffocarl

How much would it set me back though?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

gaffocarl wrote: »
    How much would it set me back though?!

The USB Memory Stick??

Think i got one for 13Euro in the SU shop. Also if you bring in your own laptop bring your own Ethernet cable.

Having 90Mbps+ on my own laptop is fantastic:D

Hang on- the speeds are faster than the Wifi.

Sorry, I'll rephrase that- it's more reliable than the Wifi?
    To think I've never tried it.

Advertisement