Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Submit a show proposal to DCUfm

Options
  • 20-08-2010 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

DCUfm is normally the subject of a quite lengthy boards thread at the end of each academic year. Last year's was largely positive, but one of the issues that keeps coming through is that DCUfm appears to be a closed shop. That couldn't be further from the truth, but in an effort to open up even more we are looking for new show proposals for the next semester on DCUfm. If you have an idea for a show please let us know by sending it to info@dcufm.com.

If you don't have a show idea and would just like to get involved then that's more than fine too :) We will be having a 'Get Involved' meeting early in the new semester. The meeting will be well advertised around campus, on our website (www.dcufm.com), on our facebook page (www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=113474229131&ref=ts), and our Twitter (www.twitter.com/DCUfm).

We are open to students from all faculties. This is not a hollow offer, we really want to get all schools involved in the station. You don't have to be in communications to work with DCUfm :D

On a final note, best of luck to all you guys waiting for your CAO offers. I really hope we get to see you in DCU. And please feel free to drop in to the station any time if you'd like to get involved. The station is situated in the Hub and faces out onto the mall, you can't miss us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

A DCU specific "get it off your chest" show would be interesting.

Somewhere for people to air and discuss their problems in DCU on a weekly basis.

Reckon that would definitely be a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 DCUfm

redout wrote: »
    A DCU specific "get it off your chest" show would be interesting.

Somewhere for people to air and discuss their problems in DCU on a weekly basis.

Reckon that would definitely be a winner.

Are you a current DCU student? Would you be interested in doing it yourself. You could produce the show if you don't feel comfortable going behind the mic. Send me a PM or email me if you are interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

DCUfm wrote: »
    If you have an idea for a show please let us know

Terry's rants

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'd love to get involved. Have a degree in media from Ballyfermot and am starting a masters in journalism in dcu in September. Need to see my timetable before I commit to anything though!

Tusky wrote: »
    I'd love to get involved. Have a degree in media from Ballyfermot and am starting a masters in journalism in dcu in September. Need to see my timetable before I commit to anything though!

Sounds good, do come along to our meeting early in the new semester. We've had MAJs involved before and they were great. We've also had people from Ballyfermot involved, so you should feel right at home :)

PS Needless to say, the people from Ballyfermot were equally as great :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fiftysix

A seven part radio drama:The Eternal Quest for the DCUFM Door

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Fiftysix wrote: »
    A seven part radio drama:The Eternal Quest for the DCUFM Door

:D Hahahaha. I don't mean to spoil the ending of the series but I'm pretty sure they won't be getting the door during this academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Benny Lava wrote: »
    :D Hahahaha. I don't mean to spoil the ending of the series but I'm pretty sure they won't be getting the door during this academic year.

We'll just have to wait and see :D

Speaking of radio drama, that's something I had thought about last year and never got off the ground. Someone do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭XPS

One year closer to DCU's OSL or Hub Management Committee/DCU or whoever (is actually responsible) for actually breaking the law (and decency) so (in due course).

I find it very sad/insulting/ a sad reflection on individual(s) that certain irrelevant people find it funny that wheelchair users cannot have access to the DCUfm studio (or DCUfm not having the ability to apply for a license because of the lack of DCUfm's wheelchair access to its studio) or a topic of joke quite endemic of the culture prevalent in DCU's clubs and societies and/or the student ruling hegemonic powers. When did the progression of a society become a topic of ridicule - especially a student radio station which has EARNED the right to call itself the BEST student radio station in the country based on the fact it cleaned up at the SMEDIA awards? You cannot and will not be allowed to ignore that! (not saying you have btw, that is aimed at other irrelevant people on this site).

But sure what would I know as a normal civilised member of society who believes in equity of access to STATE paid services. SHAME I say, SHAME, no laughing matter.!!!!!!!

DCUfm cannot be criticised for not having a FM license as it is not THEIR fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

XPS wrote: »
    One year closer to DCU's OSL or Hub Management Committee/DCU or whoever (is actually responsible) for actually breaking the law (and decency) so (in due course).

I find it very sad/insulting/ a sad reflection on individual(s) that certain irrelevant people find it funny that wheelchair users cannot have access to the DCUfm studio (or DCUfm not having the ability to apply for a license because of the lack of DCUfm's wheelchair access to its studio) or a topic of joke quite endemic of the culture prevalent in DCU's clubs and societies and/or the student ruling hegemonic powers. When did the progression of a society become a topic of ridicule - especially a student radio station which has EARNED the right to call itself the BEST student radio station in the country based on the fact it cleaned up at the SMEDIA awards? You cannot and will not be allowed to ignore that! (not saying you have btw, that is aimed at other irrelevant people on this site).

But sure what would I know as a normal civilised member of society who believes in equity of access to STATE paid services. SHAME I say, SHAME, no laughing matter.!!!!!!!

DCUfm cannot be criticised for not having a FM license as it is not THEIR fault.

Just learned to use bold text in forum posts, eh? Nice.

I don't have any specific show ideas, but here are some things that might help in general:
    • Improve the pre-recorded voiceovery stuff - I don't care if you're the best college radio station in the world, for all I know, maybe you are. Fact is, I don't need to hear that every five minutes, especially when I'm already listening... :)
    • Less bias - In some of the Union related stuff, particularly the presidential debate last year, presenters displayed an extraordinary bias and this should be coached out or avoided if possible.
    • Broader musical range - I don't know what the scope is for what you can play, (perhaps it's determined by the license?) but it would be nice to see more types of music played, perhaps even stuff that people won't have already heard? I would like my college radio station to introduce me to new music once in a while. PS - note to everyone: Kings of Leon are not indie. Also, they suck.
    • Less ads! - OK, if someone's giving you money to run their pizza commercial, that's fine - I can appreciate why you're playing it. But when I'm on your website listening, I can see your entire schedule at a click and I don't need to hear the same ads for other shows every few minutes, they get annoying very, very quickly.

I'm sure there's other stuff too. Presenters are always going to be hit and miss but I guess you're limited to whoever volunteers. Please don't take these criticisms too seriously, I understand it's a student radio station and you're restricted in various ways.

• Advertisement

Just learned to use bold text in forum posts, eh? Nice.

I don't have any specific show ideas, but here are some things that might help in general:
    • Improve the pre-recorded voiceovery stuff - I don't care if you're the best college radio station in the world, for all I know, maybe you are. Fact is, I don't need to hear that every five minutes, especially when I'm already listening... :)
    • Less bias - In some of the Union related stuff, particularly the presidential debate last year, presenters displayed an extraordinary bias and this should be coached out or avoided if possible.
    • Broader musical range - I don't know what the scope is for what you can play, (perhaps it's determined by the license?) but it would be nice to see more types of music played, perhaps even stuff that people won't have already heard? I would like my college radio station to introduce me to new music once in a while. PS - note to everyone: Kings of Leon are not indie. Also, they suck.
    • Less ads! - OK, if someone's giving you money to run their pizza commercial, that's fine - I can appreciate why you're playing it. But when I'm on your website listening, I can see your entire schedule at a click and I don't need to hear the same ads for other shows every few minutes, they get annoying very, very quickly.

I'm sure there's other stuff too. Presenters are always going to be hit and miss but I guess you're limited to whoever volunteers. Please don't take these criticisms too seriously, I understand it's a student radio station and you're restricted in various ways.

Agreed on the station pre-recorded stuff - but since the previous station mgnt paid so much for it I suppose they have to use it - even though at the time it wasn't true (officially, unlike now)

What you see as bias most people see as exploring the other arguments and making those who are participating in the culture of capitulation answer for their proposed positions - there is nothing wrong with challenging people who want to get elected on their point of views - that is the role of the media. The campus media would be in derogation of their duty to their students if they didn't ask the questions that were being avoided, or ask the questions that needed to be asked - and I was under the informed belief that last years debate was considered highly informative and quite proper by even those in the executive at the time, and without bias and those questions asked that people believed were 'without' bias were confined and dealt with in only a specific part of the debate and left otherwise - and I am sure being informed on all the issues is not bias but just scary for most people pretending/purporting/assuming they know what they are talking about, and not just about these so called 'bias' issues. I think it's hilarious that when the student media of DCU asks questions of the DCU student representatives that the DCU student representatives don't want asked they are considered biased or a pain, or just unfair.

The musical range covered at the moment- contemporary chart, rock, metal, classical, classical rock, rap, hip-hop and others, student bands, irish music, jazz, international - I am sure could be widened (feel free to suggest how) and they have called for more shows, i think they tick that box....

Ads finance the station, but I would agree they should be limited where possible

I am sure however the station mgnt value your feedback and hopefully if you have the time, and are still a student you could actively participate in the station in some small way in order to continue to ensure its development - and this positive feedback I am equally sure is considered participation!

It appears you have blamed me for laughing at a joke someone made instead of blaming him for making it. However, I'm not surprised considering the fact that we have clashed on this website before. Perhaps before you went on your little rant you should have considered what I was laughing at. I laughed at the suggestion of a show about DCUfm's search for a door not at the fact that wheelchair-bound people can't access the studio. Don't be so bloody hypersensitive you twat. I know Daysha won't like me saying that but I feel if someone is going to call me "irrelevant" and imply that I'm not a "normal civilised member of society who believes in equality" then I think i should be allowed to respond. So, do you consider anyone who has ever laughed at a Jimmy Carr joke not to be a "normal civilised member of society who believes in equality"??? I think it's time you got down off your high horse.

Also, if I'm irrelevant then perhaps my Smedia nomination (which means a lot according to your post) is also irrelevant? Perhaps you can verify that for me?:confused:

I really don't find the whole thing funny at all, as someone who has more than one family member who requires the use of a wheelchair - my over-sensitivity is born from an endemic failure of the state to recognise mobility is an issue for many citizens in this country - I don't for one second believe that the access issue for DCU is one that could not have been solved simply - call up to the OSL and you will see the refurbishment that went on there over the summer, and yet the DCUfm studio and remained untouched - that's not to say the door may not be in the pipeline, they have a habit of not telling people if it is.

If you find being over-sensitive to issues like equity of access is getting on ones 'high horse' then so be it.

Fair play to the smedia nomination. It is what proves the station is great - but there comes a point where things aren't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This thread is meant to be about show proposals, a bit of fun ffs

take the lecture elsewhere. You use the word 'over-sensitive' so clearly you know you're overreacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

Agreed on the station pre-recorded stuff - but since the previous station mgnt paid so much for it I suppose they have to use it - even though at the time it wasn't true (officially, unlike now)

Paying a lot of money for something isn't necessarily a good reason to keep on using it. For example, life.dcu.ie.
    What you see as bias most people see as exploring the other arguments and making those who are participating in the culture of capitulation answer for their proposed positions - there is nothing wrong with challenging people who want to get elected on their point of views - that is the role of the media. The campus media would be in derogation of their duty to their students if they didn't ask the questions that were being avoided, or ask the questions that needed to be asked - and I was under the informed belief that last years debate was considered highly informative and quite proper by even those in the executive at the time, and without bias and those questions asked that people believed were 'without' bias were confined and dealt with in only a specific part of the debate and left otherwise - and I am sure being informed on all the issues is not bias but just scary for most people pretending/purporting/assuming they know what they are talking about, and not just about these so called 'bias' issues. I think it's hilarious that when the student media of DCU asks questions of the DCU student representatives that the DCU student representatives don't want asked they are considered biased or a pain, or just unfair.

Maybe you misunderstood me here, I mean that presenters have been openly taking sides and not being objective about things. Particularly in the presidential debate, when the presenter clearly took the side of one candidate and made little attempt to conceal that. Of course they should be asked difficult questions. I support that, certainly, but the aim should be to be objective. And as for "most people" not seeing bias, I'm going to assume we have different friends, because everyone I know who listened to that debate (which to be fair is only about four people) was of a similar opinion to myself.
    The musical range covered at the moment- contemporary chart, rock, metal, classical, classical rock, rap, hip-hop and others, student bands, irish music, jazz, international - I am sure could be widened (feel free to suggest how) and they have called for more shows, i think they tick that box....

Well honestly I've never really heard anything on dcufm other than rock and chart music, with the other genres listed being very occasional at best, but you probably know better than me how often they're played. I guess chiefly I would like to hear more new or weird stuff. I would like to turn on dcufm and hear music that I won't hear on any other radio station. As a college radio station, its aim shouldn't be to emulate professional radio stations as much as possible, but to find its own niche and be unique in many ways.
    Ads finance the station, but I would agree they should be limited where possible

Just to clarify, I have no problem with ads being played if they finance the station. I have a problem with hearing the same horrible ads for shows I already know about by virtue of being on the website, over and over again. There was one particular ad that was so annoying it actually drove me to turn it off, I think the show was Tigerface? The ad was supposed to be funny but after hearing it a few times it made me want to burn down the radio station. In conclusion - ads that bring in revenue are fine, ads that serve only to beat into my brain what other shows are on are not good and should be limited to maybe once an hour or so.
    I am sure however the station mgnt value your feedback and hopefully if you have the time, and are still a student you could actively participate in the station in some small way in order to continue to ensure its development - and this positive feedback I am equally sure is considered participation!

Alas, I have just finished in DCU, so no more society work for me. I had thought about getting involved in dcufm in past years, but as I'm sure you know yourself, if you get seriously involved in one or two societies, it leaves you with no time for any others.

It has been pointed out that this thread is not about the door lol - so I will refrain from taking this thread off topic again, apologies about that....

On the pre-recorded stuff - agree with you there, it just takes a lot of time to make them, I think station management just didnt have the time after all the repair work they had too do, it was a case of 'at the moment its not broke so don't fix it' lol

On the presidential debate: I respectfully disagree with you; what some people see as taking sides I simply see is tackling issues that the candidates should have been informed about, it's not the presenters fault if the other candidates werent up-to-date on all the issues, but feedback is important, and I am sure it can be something that can be brought up and monitored.

In terms of other shows, I have heard political (party) bias creep in once or twice, and I hate that; but from what I am told that was noted by management and will not be allowed to continue.

DCUfm genuinely does play the genres of music I outline, you can see this in its schedule but again, if the schedule is not catering to peoples needs in terms of time slots allocated to genres of music I am sure station management will probably look into that.

I see your point about the adverts :D

I know what you are saying about how much time, energy and effort society work takes, but it reeps its own rewards I suppose - at the same time, level-headed and valid feedback like you have given is what the station needs, so in some small way you have contributed to the station! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Hey.
    I was signed up to help the first semester last year. That never worked out, first I was helping some show but they didn't need me for long. Then I was reading the morning news on Tuesdays, I was supposed to be with two other people who I never met and wasn't able to get in contact with, so I had to spend my Monday nights writing the news, sports and weather bulletins and read them out myself, considering I hadn't used the studio live before there was more than a few mistakes. Luckily the people who had a show on after me gave me a hand.

Anyway my suggestions.
    - Actually play the radio out somewhere. I know its played during the first week outside and after that it might annoy lecturers but there's plenty of other places it can get played, in order to get exposure. The Hub, The canteen, the cafe's, the street. It doesn't have to be loud.

- Also they need to go look for content. I think you kind of expect it all to come to you. Get online and ask local bands for permission. The school of communications courses often take audio classes and create radio content but don't usually have the confidence to approach you, I know my class had interviews, vox pops about current issues, radio plays. They'd probably give permission for them to be used if asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Slobodan Milosevic

I think my opinions on the station are well known at this stage, therefore I won't get involved in the door debate or any of the other huge failures of DCUfm.

For me, as someone with no association to the station, the real problem is the lack of access to the stations programes.
    With it not being on the radio, you'd think they would have a website that was set out clearly. But they don't its very hard to find what programme your looking for.

I could go on, but after the feed a pints I had last night am not fit to be too critical.

The OP asked for show suggestions, well heres a few.

-A problem programme. This would have an expert (like your man Mark Hamilton but obviously not as big name) who people could text or ring in with their problems. Topics such as sexual dysfunction, dick rott etc would all be fine.

-SU's address. The SU do seem at times to be lacking communication with the student body. I reckon let your one megan on the radio for say 20 mins a week to tell us whats happening. (although i'd prefer if she was on the telly ;) )

-DCU music chart. This would involve the students of DCU voting each week for their favourite songs of the time. Then we could have a top 20 each week of DCU's favourite music.

However, if DCUfm were to take on board any of my ideas, I would sue them if they didn't credit me for the ideas and pay me royalties Just warning yas ! :D

SLOBO
    xxx

Thanks to everyone for posting. I just need to say a few things.The studio door has meant that wheelchair users cannot access the station. If someone in a wheelchair wants to get involved then they can't. All campus buildings will have to be fully wheelchair accessible by 2015 anyway, so why not get the work done ahead of schedule while there are hundreds of builders screaming out for work.

Shows on DCUfm have not been able to have guests with mobility issues. This has meant that shows have had to not invite people because they can't access the studio. That's not good enough. I won't whitter on about the door. It is hopefully being sorted, but I hope we can all agree that DCUfm must be accessible to all.

One other issue that was brought up was station idents. There were so many thing that we had to sort out last year that imaging was just one thing that we didn't have time for. We do, however, realise the importance of it and we're already sorting it out for the next academic year. The English voice will be gone forever :D

I'd like to thank everyone who got in touch with their show suggestions, please the 'em coming.

Noodleworm wrote: »
    The school of communications courses often take audio classes and create radio content but don't usually have the confidence to approach you, I know my class had interviews, vox pops about current issues, radio plays. They'd probably give permission for them to be used if asked.

We've begun working with the Shool of Communications for just that purpose. It's mutually beneficial and doesn't take a great deal of effort from either side. Much more of the content produced by these classes will be aired this year. That's not to say that you must be a communications student to have your work aired on DCUfm. If you have something you like aired, just send it to us at info@dcufm.com.

Thanks again for the show proposals, they are much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

The big failure of DCUfm is it's medium - RADIO!

I really don't see much people listening to the radio that often! But that is not a problem as such - take it as being born without legs. Therefore, we must raise the standards of DCUfm to make it on par, or even better, than the competitors (TCDfm/UCDfm/w/e).

The main thing is to get connected with the student body.
    To fulfill the above I would support the creation of a good up-to-date Facebook group. I suggest setting up an association with the SU Magazine. Do anything possible to get the word RADIO across people, but do not shove it down our throats, for instance, by spamming emails.

Then - it is really up to you to build up some good CONTENT. Now you must take into account that the majority of DCU students are wasters. So as I said above, you must get "connected" with wasters and ask them what they want. From that use your initiative and best of luck.

Also, fix the pop out player on the website - no - make a NEW WEBSITE.

I don't really have a suggestion for a show but there are a few ways that listening figures could be increased. Remember last year when everyone was desperate to get a ticket to the sold-out summer ball? Imagine the only remaining tickets were prizes in a competition on DCUfm. That would sort of force people to listen! Right now there is very little incentive for your average student to listen to an moderate mix of modern music when there are superior alternatives on the wireless. The SU election coverage last year drew great figures for DCUfm and this sort of DCU-based broadcast seems to be the way forward. The harsh reality is people won't go on the internet and click on the stream unless they have something to gain from doing so or have an interest in what is being broadcast.

Thanks for your suggestions Einstein? If you'd like to propose a show that will connect with DCU students then please do email us at info@dcufm.com.

I wouldn't be so downbeat about the popularity of radio. Most Irish people listen to radio on a daily basis.

The main point of this post is to get more connected with DCU students and make sure we're not perceived as a closed shop. Our content has been good enough to win awards, awards that all the other student radio stations entered. We are by no means perfect, not by a long shot, but we're constantly working on making the station better which is all we can do. We'd welcome anyone who wants to do the same :)

Thanks again for all your ideas, guys. If you have an idea for a show for DCUfm then please do email us at info@dcufm.com. Remember, no idea is too weird, this is radio, anything’s possible! :D

Remember last year when everyone was desperate to get a ticket to the sold-out summer ball? Imagine the only remaining tickets were prizes in a competition on DCUfm. That would sort of force people to listen! ... The SU election coverage last year drew great figures for DCUfm and this sort of DCU-based broadcast seems to be the way forward. The harsh reality is people won't go on the internet and click on the stream unless they have something to gain from doing so or have an interest in what is being broadcast.

DCUfm looks for tickets from the SU for all their events and we've given away countless tickets for such events. We hope to continue our arrangement with the new SU and advertise these competitions around campus even more this year.

As for us serving our DCU listenership with DCU content, well, we do that the best we can. There's only so much we can do, though. We will be vastly increasing our coverage of the clubs and societies on campus and Newswire will cover even more campus news.

Again, this thread is about proposing show ideas, so if you have one, please email us at info@dcufm.com :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Are DCUFM capable of outside broadcasts? I'm not familiar with your set up so apologies if this is a useless suggestion but maybe you could do little contests around campus, just silly things to drum up interest and student participation?

phasers wrote: »
    Are DCUFM capable of outside broadcasts? I'm not familiar with your set up so apologies if this is a useless suggestion but maybe you could do little contests around campus, just silly things to drum up interest and student participation?

We'd absolutely love to, but it's not really a possibility unless we get some new equipment. We've been longing to do these kinds of broadcasts for ages, it'd be a great way of being a proper part of campus and would also allow us to broadcast live gigs and even debates with audiences.

We're researching the options at the moment and will be appplying for equipment in our grant application to the Society Life Committee (SLC) in September. It all depends on whether we're successful and if so, when the SLC assesses our application.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I think If d like to hear more coverage on student opinions on various issues. Get out, get vox pops... let people know in advance what issues will be discussed to get a few texts/emails in advance. Get people in the studio to talk.

If we don't have the equipment to do live borastcasts outside the studio you can still get out with the marrantz a few hours or the day before and treat it like a live broadcast.

for example, Clubs and socs day, the people at each table can give you a few lines about why you should join that society. As long as the sound was ok and they didn't need to edit anything out that could be broadcast within an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Noodleworm wrote: »
    for example, Clubs and socs day, the people at each table can give you a few lines about why you should join that society. As long as the sound was ok and they didn't need to edit anything out that could be broadcast within an hour.

There was an interview setup done after Clubs & Socs registration last year by someone, can't remember who. Few lines about why you're Club/Soc is awesome, etc. That on DCUFM would be pretty cool, playing around the place, would be cool. Be a long segment though, if you included everyone. And you'd kinda have to, for equality's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Going to tell the presenters what their listening numbers are this year?

Going stop being annoying prícks with speakers annoying every poor sod in the vicinity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Going to tell the presenters what their listening numbers are this year?

Going stop being annoying prícks with speakers annoying every poor sod in the vicinity?

1) What's listenership numbers got to do with this thread?
    2) The speakers were tried for one week, people complained so they were taken down. Sorted.
    3) You're now banned for breaching the forum charter.

Advertisement