Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I know if the filter is working?

Options
  • 20-08-2010 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

It's a 63l tank with a built in bio filter. It's been going for 2 weeks and I have 2 goldfish in there. I know I should have cycled the tank first before putting the fish in but it was the lesser of two evils, the other option being to leave them in a bowl :( . I've been changing the up to 20% of the water every second day but the ammonia levels have been dire. It was changed last night and just now I tested it and the level is 4 again. How do I know if this is still just part of the cycling process or if there is a problem with the filter?
    If it's still just part of the cycling process how long before life can get better for the fish and is there anything I can do in the meantime to make it better. Water change every day? 20% or more?

Sorry for all the questions :o

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

How often are you feeding them?

I'd do about a 50% water change, some people think that will help and also leaves enough old water for the filter bacteria.

Maybe try using some Ammo-lock in the meantime as well.

What are you currently treating the water with?

I'm only new to this myself, so I wouldn't be 100% sure, as my water seems to test ok most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'm feeding them every second day as per the shop persons instructions but this is the same person who told me goldfish would be fine in a bowl and no filter needed etc :rolleyes: It seems a bit mean so I added in a Bloodworms day.
    I'll try a 50% change and see does it help. I treat the water with Aqua Safe. I do have Ammo lock but have read varied theories on its use during cycling:confused:. Overall the fish seem healthier than when I got them. one of them had a lot of black spots which have gone now but they do still go to the surface to gulp in air sometimes.
    I've read that the ammonia peaks at some point during the cycling process and then drops suddenly so maybe we're just at that peak.
    we're getting quite fond of them :)

Perhaps then try Stress Zyme instead, it contains bacteria that break down the ammonia etc.

Actually just to add to this, we didn't really have any problems with our tank, we also added the fish immediately as they were struggling in the bowl that the pet shop told us was absolutely fine for 2 goldfish..:confused:

We added Stress Coat and Stress Zyme from the start, following the instructions on the bottle - adding 10ml per 38L on the 1st day, 7th day and 14th day, and 5ml per 38L weekly.

All of our levels were always within the parameters, so it seems to have definitely done its work.

I also read that fancy goldfish in particular need 75 litres for the first fish, and 38 litres for each additional fish (seems a lot) but once the ammonia/pH/nitrate/nitrite levels are monitored they'll be ok.
    The only problem is, goldfish grow, so you may need a larger tank.

4.5 weeks in and the good news is that there is finally some change with ammonia levels having dropped (but not down to zero yet) so hopefully the tank is cycling. The bad news is that we seem to be in the middle of a nitrite spike and one of the fish in particular is suffering. I've added another airpump to get some more oxygen in there and that seems to have helped. Hopefully within another couple of days it'll settle down (fingers crossed).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

littlebug wrote: »
    4.5 weeks in and the good news is that there is finally some change with ammonia levels having dropped (but not down to zero yet) so hopefully the tank is cycling. The bad news is that we seem to be in the middle of a nitrite spike and one of the fish in particular is suffering. I've added another airpump to get some more oxygen in there and that seems to have helped. Hopefully within another couple of days it'll settle down (fingers crossed).

Thats why its important to cycle a tank. Do you have any one who has a tank where you could borrow some filter media?

Not that I know Godtabh. I have started putting in a drop of filter start with every water change too so hopefully that will speed things up.

I'm afraid I was a gullible victim of very bad pet shop advice :( I should have listened to my own instinct but you assume these people know what they're talking about :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What filter start do you have? Most of them are gimmicks just takes time I'm afraid

godtabh wrote: »
    What filter start do you have? Most of them are gimmicks just takes time I'm afraid

It's "Interpret" filter start.

Ammonia lower today. Nitrite still high. Fish happier looking. I read (somewhere on the internet :rolleyes:) that nitrite isn't so toxic in water with a higher Ph?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

littlebug wrote: »
    It's "Interpret" filter start.

Ammonia lower today. Nitrite still high. Fish happier looking. I read (somewhere on the internet :rolleyes:) that nitrite isn't so toxic in water with a higher Ph?

Not so sure about that, as far as I am concerned Ammonia and Nitrite are bad news and should be zero.

• Advertisement

Noopti wrote: »
    Not so sure about that, as far as I am concerned Ammonia and Nitrite are bad news and should be zero.

Yeah i'd go with this.

Nitrate is less harmful but still needs to be removed hence regular water changes

9 days since i last posted. Ammonia has been at zero for quite a few days now but nitrite and nitrate still high (as of this morning and that's with a 50% water change last night). anything i've seen on the cycle process would suggest that nitrite should have dropped by now. If it's still high on saturday I'll bring a sample into the pet shop in case it's my test kit.
    one of the fish that had been seemingly suffering is looking and acting much better but I'm aware that they're still in a toxic situation :(

One fish gone :( Ironically it's the one that I thought was healthiest but in the last two days he got very sick. Pet shop lady was helpful as ever :rolleyes:.

The good news is that the nitrite levels have dropped massively... not down to zero but not far off it. So folks cycling a tank really can take 8 weeks whether there are fish in it or not :rolleyes:

The other fish seems fine if a bit hyper. Maybe I could take the extra air pump out now. He has 63l all to himself now.
    Anyway- lesson learned. If I ever get another tank it'll be cycled fishless.

Advertisement