Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is Arsene Wenger's problem?

• 20-08-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

What is his story? According to all reports, including himself, Arsenal have a transfer kitty yet he seems afraid to spend a penny. Fair enough, he bought Koscielny for £10m but he sold Eduardo for £6m so surely he has plenty left over.

These miserly bids for Schwarzer and Squillaci are laughable. What is he waiting for? It is blantantly obvious he is short in a number of areas, most notably a keeper, defense and a top defensive midfielder. He has the makings of a top side with Fabs, RVP, Vermaelen all down the middle. So why in God's name is he afraid to spend? It is obvious this current Arsenal team are not capable of winning any top competition. They got obliterated by all the top teams last year both domestically and in Europe yet Scrooge McDuck won't go out and buy any top players which leaves them in the same position as every other year - short on quality.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

£2 million for a 37 year old goalkeeper isn't miserly tbh. Fulham are having a laugh if they think they can get more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Archimedes wrote: »
    £2 million for a 37 year old goalkeeper isn't miserly tbh. Fulham are having a laugh if they think they can get more than that.

Ya, keeping Almunia between the sticks makes a lot more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

In answer to topic question.

His amazingness.

Warper wrote: »
    Ya, keeping Almunia between the sticks makes a lot more sense.

Don't be putting words in my mouth, I never said that.

It's not simply a choice between paying over the odds for Schwarzer or keeping Almunia you know.

Don't be putting words in my mouth, I never said that.

It's not simply a choice between paying over the odds for Schwarzer or keeping Almunia you know.

Paying over the odds? Arsenal need a top keeper more than any other top side in Europe. The transfer season is closing in less than 2 weeks. He obviously likes Schwarzer as he put in a bid for him yet he is unwilling to increase his offer. £2m is nothing in soccer these days. Almunia will inevitably cost them more than £2m in mistakes alone, between lost revenue and losing matches.

• Advertisement

Wise up ffs, Almunia will not cost Arsenal £2 mill :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

2 million for a 37 year old keeper is very generous, maybe the issue lies with fulham and the fact that they can't afford to replace him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He could cost them a lot more than that with a couple of errors this season. All it takes is City to move past them and they are fighting for that 4th spot, a couple of gaffs could be extremely costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Fulham are right not to sell Schwarzer i think though... I mean if they get the 2 mil that wont be enough to buy a decent keeper... They should try hang onto him for the next 2 years and then pay for a new keeper.. At 37 i dont think its worth it to sell him, just like its not worth it to pay over 2 million for him....:confused::confused:

LOL, you really dont have a clue do you. You do realise the better your team does the more money your team gets. How many points will he cost Arsenal this year? In the first match he has already let in a goal in his near post that a top keeper would have saved but ya stay in your cocoon and pretend that everything Wenger does is perfect. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

eagle eye wrote: »
    He could cost them a lot more than that with a couple of errors this season. All it takes is City to move past them and they are fighting for that 4th spot, a couple of gaffs could be extremely costly.

Funny you should mention that I just remembered that the champions league money gets split 40% to the winner 30 to the runner up 20 to third and ten % to fourth so dropping one place in the league is worth about 10-15m I think on top of the 750,000 in prize money.

It is debatable whether Schwarzer is worth more than £2m but when you look at the alternative (keeping Almunia) he definitely is.

Really Wenger should just go for Given, now that he is available but no, that would be just too straight-forward.

ryan91 wrote: »
    2 million for a 37 year old keeper is very generous, maybe the issue lies with fulham and the fact that they can't afford to replace him
    If Schwartzer is worth more than £2 million to Fulham then Arsenal have to up their offer.

I think in this case that Schwartzer is worth more than £2 million, he is still one of the best keepers in the EPL, Friedel cost Villa £2.5 million in 08 at the same age.

LOL, you really dont have a clue do you. You do realise the better your team does the more money your team gets.

Really? Gosh I had no idea, thanks for clearing that up there Ted. Wise up.
    How many points will he cost Arsenal this year?

He'll probably make a few errors alright, but he'll make plenty of good saves too. Of course people who love criticising Almunia will conveniently ignore any good saves he makes too, but sure if that services your Wenger-bashing, then who cares?

In the first match he has already let in a goal in his near post that a top keeper would have saved but ya stay in your cocoon and pretend that everything Wenger does is perfect. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was no difference between N'gog's goal the other day and Torres versus United last year.

Van Der Sar is a top keeper, why didn't he save it? Can you answer me that?

And yeah, everything Wenger does is perfect. I think that, because I love Arsenal so much.

Oh, have some more rolleyes too, they clearly make valid points in your eyes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

LOL, you really dont have a clue do you. You do realise the better your team does the more money your team gets. How many points will he cost Arsenal this year? In the first match he has already let in a goal in his near post that a top keeper would have saved but ya stay in your cocoon and pretend that everything Wenger does is perfect. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Isn't it something like 500,000 for each position in the PL?I also doubt whatever keeper Arsenal have would affect attendances either.I really doubt that Almunia would cost them 4 positions in the Premiership.

You also said they should strengthen defense and defensive midfield.They signed Koscielny and I'd rate Song as a very good defensive midfielder, one of the best in the PL tbh.

Really? Gosh I had no idea, thanks for clearing that up there Ted. Wise up.

He'll probably make a few errors alright, but he'll make plenty of good saves too. Of course people who love criticising Almunia will conveniently ignore any good saves he makes too, but sure if that services your Wenger-bashing, then who cares?

but ya stay in your cocoon and pretend that everything Wenger does is perfect. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was no difference between N'gog's goal the other day and Torres versus United last year.

Van Der Sar is a top keeper, why didn't he save it? Can you answer me that?

And yeah, everything Wenger does is perfect. I think that, because I love Arsenal so much.

Oh, have some more rolleyes too, they clearly make valid points in your eyes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sad, sad post. It doesnt even merit a valid response.

Sad, sad post. It doesnt even merit a valid response.

Ok then lets start very simple.

Do you think Van Der Sar is a top keeper?

Yes or no would suffice, thanks.

Van der Sar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Actually you wouldn't even have Almunia on the same page. Ridic comparison man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Surely he's not comparing he's just proving the fact a top keeper can be beaten by an effort that isnt outrageous!

Van der Sar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Eh, what Im saying is that OP is holding N'gog's goal against Almunia, whereas Torres scored the exact same goal against Van Der Sar last year and there was zero criticism of Van Der Sar.

Some people just love to bash a player because it's "in". Almunia gets his fair share of criticism, but last Sunday is not one of those fair instances.

• Advertisement

Im not getting into some childish argument here. The point i am making is that Arsenal need strengthening in a number of areas especially a top goalkeeper. Almunia wouldnt be let near any other top team in Europe. FFS he is so bad that he was willing to declare himself for England and still he wouldnt have got picked for the English WC squad and that is behind the likes of Rob Green, who plays for one of the worst teams in the PL and David James, who plays in the Championship. Almunia is one of the worst keepers in the league.

And yes VDS is a top keeper and always has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ngog is an animal. Almunia was powerless to stop his brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

what if arsenal offered mannone on a season long loan if they sell them Schwarzer, they no all about mannone and what he can do after his performance against them last year.

Eh, what Im saying is that OP is holding N'gog's goal against Almunia, whereas Torres scored the exact same goal against Van Der Sar last year and there was zero criticism of Van Der Sar.

Some people just love to bash a player because it's "in". Almunia gets his fair share of criticism, but last Sunday is not one of those fair instances.

Youre losing the plot. What i gave was an example. There is zero criticism of VDS and for that matter Reina because everyone knows these things happen even to top keepers. The difference is Almunia makes a lot more mistakes than most keepers. He is a liability.

Are you saying that Almunia is a top keeper?

Im not getting into some childish argument here. The point i am making is that Arsenal need strengthening in a number of areas especially a top goalkeeper. Almunia wouldnt be let near any other top team in Europe. FFS he is so bad that he was willing to declare himself for England and still he wouldnt have got picked for the English WC squad and that is behind the likes of Rob Green, who plays for one of the worst teams in the PL and David James, who plays in the Championship. Almunia is one of the worst keepers in the league.

And yes VDS is a top keeper and always has been.

If you have a problem with people taking a different side to your opinion, then perhaps you should keep them to yourself. I've never once said Almunia was a top goalkeeper and should remain first choice at Arsenal. Perhaps you were too busy coming up with a Scrooge McDuck comparison for Arsene Wenger to notice that. My main issue with your post is that Arsenal are right not to bid more than £2 million for Schwarzer. That's the same as what Man Utd paid for Van Der Sar who was 3 years younger at the time. Arsenal are a club that rarely offer longer than 1/2 year contracts to players over 30. Wenger clearly values Schwarzer at no more than £2 million, and quite rightly. They'll get what, 1 maybe 2 years out of him with no resale value, and add in his wages. What then when he makes a mistake and people start laughing at him? You're also forgetting that Arsenal have a very, very talented and exciting 20 year old keeper on their books, although Im guessing you probably didn't even know about him to begin with. Wenger has said he'll be first choice keeper at the club sooner rather than later, so none of the facts agree with your opinion that Arsenal should spend over £2 million on him. Both clubs value the player differently, and both clubs valuations can be correct even when different.

Fair enough Archie. Its a side issue though.

As far as players go, Almunia is not good enough for a club that wants to compete for titles. Its been clear for a while now and its not only that he is not good enough but he is injury prone too and the replacements are just horrendous imo.
    Wenger should have replaced him earlier in the summer. To be standing pat on an offer at this late stage of the season is crazy. Its also clear that Almunia's confidence has been affected by whats been going on. So if he doesn't get a keeper by the end of the window now it could be a long, long season for Arsenal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's a question of interest. Wenger rates Schwarzer over Almunia, but obviously not by that much. As has been pointed out, he also rates one or more of the younger keepers at the club, which is why he is unwilling to splash out on a keeper in his prime (that and I think he's reluctant to spend big on a keeper because he's not confident in his own ability to judge goalkeepers).

He'll sign another defender, I'm 95% certain.

If you have a problem with people taking a different side to your opinion, then perhaps you should keep them to yourself. I've never once said Almunia was a top goalkeeper and should remain first choice at Arsenal. Perhaps you were too busy coming up with a Scrooge McDuck comparison for Arsene Wenger to notice that. My main issue with your post is that Arsenal are right not to bid more than £2 million for Schwarzer. That's the same as what Man Utd paid for Van Der Sar who was 3 years younger at the time. Arsenal are a club that rarely offer longer than 1/2 year contracts to players over 30. Wenger clearly values Schwarzer at no more than £2 million, and quite rightly. They'll get what, 1 maybe 2 years out of him with no resale value, and add in his wages. What then when he makes a mistake and people start laughing at him? You're also forgetting that Arsenal have a very, very talented and exciting 20 year old keeper on their books, although Im guessing you probably didn't even know about him to begin with. Wenger has said he'll be first choice keeper at the club sooner rather than later, so none of the facts agree with your opinion that Arsenal should spend over £2 million on him. Both clubs value the player differently, and both clubs valuations can be correct even when different.

So you agree with me that Almunia is not a top keeper and that he should not be Arsenal's No. 1. That is a start. Why post the VDS clip then? What was that all about? You seem a bit confused to me.

Arsenal always seem to have these exciting youngsters on their books yet hardly any of them ever make the first team. If he is so good why not play him. The fact remains, for Arsenal to have any chance of winning anything they need to sign a couple of top players, a point you seem to have lost with your fascination of VDS. If you read my opening post again, the point i am trying to make is if Arsenal have cash to spend, then why isn't he spending any. They havn't won a trophy in years yet they only need a couple of areas strengthened to give them a shot. Understand do you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Did you even bother reading his post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Just because a keeper was beaten at his near post doesn't mean he made a mistake, contrary to what 99% of people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I find it quite odd that Wenger doesn't seem to be interested in Given tbh, supposedly he never fancied him as a keeper.

Arsenal always seem to have these exciting youngsters on their books yet hardly any of them ever make the first team.
    Clichy, Song, Denilson, Fabregas and van Persie in the 1st team, Gibbs, Djourou, Diaby, Ramsey, Walcott, Bendtner, Vela, Wilshere and Mannone in the squad. How many more do you want?

So you agree with me that Almunia is not a top keeper and that he should not be Arsenal's No. 1. That is a start. Why post the VDS clip then? What was that all about? You seem a bit confused to me.

My point was that Almunia wasn't at fault for the N'gog goal. Simples, even the most simple of people could see that. You said a top keeper would have saved it. I merely pointed out that a top keeper in VDS let in a similar goal.
    Arsenal always seem to have these exciting youngsters on their books yet hardly any of them ever make the first team. If he is so good why not play him. The fact remains, for Arsenal to have any chance of winning anything they need to sign a couple of top players, a point you seem to have lost with your fascination of VDS. If you read my opening post again, the point i am trying to make is if Arsenal have cash to spend, then why isn't he spending any. They havn't won a trophy in years yet they only need a couple of areas strengthened to give them a shot. Understand do you??

Dont be so condescending. It doesn't suit you when you fail to understand someone elses posts.

A) I never said Almunia was a top keeper.

B) I said Arsenal didn't value him (Schwarzer) at £2 million, and are right not to.

It's that simple. The only person who complicated things here was you by making outlandish claims that Almunia would cost them £2 million this year, and by implying that I said Almunia is good enough to stay there.

And your point in bold is so wrong, it's not even funny. Just poorly informed.

I find it quite odd that Wenger doesn't seem to be interested in Given tbh, supposedly he never fancied him as a keeper.

Eh?:confused:

He's been interested in him for years.... if you read the tabloids.

Clichy, Song, Denilson, Fabregas and van Persie in the 1st team, Gibbs, Djourou, Diaby, Ramsey, Walcott, Bendtner, Vela, Wilshere and Mannone in the squad. How many more do you want?

We are going way off-topic here.

The thread is supposed to be why isn't Wenger spending his transfer kitty when its obvious he needs to if he wants to win anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Degag wrote: »
    Eh?:confused:

He's been interested in him for years.... if you read the tabloids.

Obviously not that interested if he never bothered bidding for him when he had the chance and doesn't seem to be interested now either.

The thread is supposed to be why isn't Wenger spending his transfer kitty when its obvious he needs to if he wants to win anything.

Not really. Think of it like a background check.

Your point that "no youngsters ever make the first team at Arsenal" was so full of shít, that it serves as a warning to others who might even begin to think you may be onto something with your "Wenger doesnt know what he's doing" shíte. You're not, trust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Shall we start a new topic so that pepe's list of players who 100% proved you wrong will warrant a response from yourself.

Personally it's not Almunia so much, our defensive tactics sometimes are shooting ourselves in the foot. I think he is a fantastic shot stopper, it's just the defense has lost all faith in him at being demanding etc.

I do believe Schwarzer is a serious stop gap for either Wojsez to make the breakthrough or to get Akinfeev on a free.

Obviously not that interested if he never bothered bidding for him when he had the chance and doesn't seem to be interested now either.

How do you know he never bid for him?

Not really. Think of it like a background check.

Your point that "no youngsters ever make the first team at Arsenal" was so full of shít, that it serves as a warning to others who might even begin to think you may be onto something. You're not, trust me.

Youre the one full of ****. First off, stop making your own quotes. I never said no youngsters ever make the first team at Arsenal. If youre capable of such braindead little tricks you obviously cant be trusted. I said hardly any. That is a big difference than None. So next time stop making quotes up to suit yourself. No one likes a liar.

It is obvious you are just trying to derail the post. Try reading my opening post and concentrate on the topic at hand.

• Advertisement

Almost all of those players were bought. How many first-teamers came through Arsenal's famous youth policy? That is my point.

Almost all of those players were bought. How many first-teamers came through Arsenal's famous youth policy? That is my point.

You really have absolutely no idea how youth systems work, do you?

No, this is you back-peddling after you've been caught telling porkies (albeit probably unintentionally). Szczesny was bought too, but even if he wasn't the nationality of Arsenal's young players is so vastly far away from any point you were making about Wenger's refusal to address squad issues that it's clearly apparent that it wasn't what you were saying.

No, this is you back-peddling after you've been caught telling porkies (albeit probably unintentionally). Szczesny was bought too, but even if he wasn't the nationality of Arsenal's young players is so vastly far away from any point you were making about Wenger's refusal to address squad issues that it's clearly apparent that it wasn't what you were saying.
    I took it he was talking about the youths too. I don't think he is back-peddling at all.

I took it he was talking about the youths too. I don't think he is back-peddling at all.
    You took it as referring to a lack of homegrown youth products coming through when talking about a Polish goalkeeper the club bought? Seriously?

Arsenal always seem to have these exciting [homegrown academy] youngsters on their books yet hardly any of them ever make the first team. If he [Polish goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny, bought in 2007 and not a homegrown academy product] is so good why not play him. The fact remains, for Arsenal to have any chance of winning anything they need to sign a couple of top players, a point you seem to have lost with your fascination of VDS. If you read my opening post again, the point i am trying to make is if Arsenal have cash to spend, then why isn't he spending any. They havn't won a trophy in years yet they only need a couple of areas strengthened to give them a shot. Understand do you??
    I've edited his post (in red) to include a) the meaning he says he intended and b) who they were talking about. The bit about the exciting youngsters doesn't even have any logical connection to the sentence after it, let alone the rest of the post or the argument at hand.

Baffling that you'd take that meaning frankly.

Pepe, you're being very generous to him. I doubt he even knew who we were talking about, let alone that he was Polish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

From this thread I take it that Almunia was at fault for the N'Gog goal, Archi is full of ***** and Warper has unrivalled knowledge about youth set ups.

Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Le King wrote: »
    From this thread I take it that Almunia was at fault for the N'Gog goal, Archi is full of ***** and Warper has unrivalled knowledge about youth set ups.

Thanks guys.

Ah sure we always knew that, tbf.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Almunia is the muttz nutz

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Le King wrote: »

Thanks guys.

Personally I blame Arshavin for the goal

• Advertisement
Advertisement