Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is Arsene Wenger's problem?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Personally I blame Arshavin for the goal

Carrick and Berbatov must have had something to do with it, as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

baz2009 wrote: »
    Carrick and Berbatov must have had something to do with it, as well.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Everything Archi said tbh...

Also, Wenger's only problem is his sheer awesomeness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I don't think Almunia makes that many mistakes, he just doesn't make enough world class saves. Reina, Van Der Sar and Cech will make 6 or 7 great saves a season that could add an extra 6 or 7 points to a teams total which makes a huge difference. I can only remember one world class save Almunia made last season - against Liverpool in the 1-0 win from a Ryan Babel shot.

In addition, most teams will have a number of games per season where their keeper kept them in the game with a number of top saves (like Joe Hart last Saturday). Almunia did this once last season, in the first half against Barcelona, but then ruined it by his second half performance. Not blaming him at all for that, but I think if we had a keeper who could pull out a man of the match performance 2 or 3 times in the league, it could make a big difference in the title race.

Mistakes, I don't think he makes near as many as he used to. Although his confidence won't be at its best right now, I wouldn't like the idea of him continuing at no.1 after all thats gone on with Schwarzer. Wenger already claimed that Almunia gets nervous during big games; so this situation won't help.

If the new goalkeepers performance vs Almuna's performance is the difference in us qualifying for the champions league and not, or winning the league and not, then 3 or 4m is nothing.

We don't need a defensive midfielder as Song is great. A backup centre back and a top goalkeeper would do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Warper wrote: »
    What is his story? According to all reports, including himself, Arsenal have a transfer kitty yet he seems afraid to spend a penny. Fair enough, he bought Koscielny for £10m but he sold Eduardo for £6m so surely he has plenty left over.

These miserly bids for Schwarzer and Squillaci are laughable. What is he waiting for? It is blantantly obvious he is short in a number of areas, most notably a keeper, defense and a top defensive midfielder. He has the makings of a top side with Fabs, RVP, Vermaelen all down the middle. So why in God's name is he afraid to spend? It is obvious this current Arsenal team are not capable of winning any top competition. They got obliterated by all the top teams last year both domestically and in Europe yet Scrooge McDuck won't go out and buy any top players which leaves them in the same position as every other year - short on quality.

His problem is his philosophy and his dogged determination to make it work. I dont think the Arsenal squad are in as bad a shape as your post suggests though.

GK & CB are a must but surely there are better long term options than Schwarzer and Squillaci. Surely their scouting network can provide him with better options.

Given is a good medium term option, certainly until one of the youth/reserve GK's mature.

CB, given their contract policy with 30+ y/o its a head scratcher that he's after Squillaci. I cant think of a better option off the top of my head but, again, surely the scouts have better options for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Warper your nuts. Wenger is going for a 37 year old keeper for a reason, he does not feel he needs to pay over the odds for a player who although is a step up for Arsenal he is hardly even in the Prem's top 5. Wenger knows he has at least 2 young Keeper's who in say 2 years will be (please god) be up to standard. He may even have 3 (James Shea was fantastic in Tallaght the oher night.) Wenger has vision to the present and the future and that's why he is an absolute great manager. I want to see Arsenal win something so much but I know that Wenger is the man that can make that happen and do it well keeping Arsenal in fantastic Finacial condition. You want big bucks and Superstars, head to

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=14498332419427098867&q=stamford+bridge&hl=en&cd=1&cad=src:pplink&ei=0vduTNuvINSQjAfxsqmQAw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Reading the thread title alone clearly showed me that you're either trolling or have an axe to grind.

Anyway, massive fail tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Archimedes wrote: »
    Eh, what Im saying is that OP is holding N'gog's goal against Almunia, whereas Torres scored the exact same goal against Van Der Sar last year and there was zero criticism of Van Der Sar.

VDS was more at fault for his goal because it wasn't struck as well as washandgoes.
    Ngogs was full of precision and pace and was a quality strike.Torres goal wasn't as accurate and VDS flapped at it.
    I agree you are both derailing this thread somewhat too.

Wengers problem is.... Selective vision. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

d22ontour wrote: »
    VDS was more at fault for his goal because it wasn't struck as well as washandgoes.
    Ngogs was full of precision and pace and was a quality strike.Torres goal wasn't as accurate and VDS flapped at it.
    I agree you are both derailing this thread somewhat too.

Wengers problem is.... Selective vision. :pac:

How was I derailing the thread? I only ever addressed points the OP brought up :confused:

• Advertisement

Another one remembered for the crap near-post goalkeeping (comparison stolen from arseblog)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wenger is an accountants dream but not a fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Villa paid something like £2,5 million for a 37 year old Friedel who possibly set the precedent Fulham are going on.
    Surely for some stability for at least 2 seasons Schwarzer is worth that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

OPENROAD

Okay thats true and one day he'll leave very good set up behind him, but I reckon he on his last season of free "good will" something will have to be won or be very close to the league title before the fans start asking some serious questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Warper to replace fergie when he goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

mike65 wrote: »

I disagree with this big time. I think Wenger is a fantastic manager and i wish there were more like him in the game. I think he is one of, if not the best managers of the modern era.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

His problem is he's french.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mike65 wrote: »
    You have to be joking, even not winning titles he still is a fan's favourite because of the wonderful entertainment that is on offer when Arsenal play.

I do think he needs to be willing to spend more though. I don't know why he won't spend, Arsenal deffo have the money. It seems to me that if they brought in a world class keeper, centre back and defensive midfielder that they would be extremely hard to stop. The guys they have playing there now are excellent squad players on a CL team but you gotta have the elite talent to win titles.

Everything you just said supported his post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Everything you just said supported his post.
    No it doesn't. If you were a Liverpool fan over the last couple of years you had to watch some dreadful stuff at times and very boring football.

Arsenal fans are treated to fabulous football at the Emirates all season. Arsenal fans are happy, they would like a title but they love their team and the football it plays.

eagle eye wrote: »
    No it doesn't. If you were a Liverpool fan over the last couple of years you had to watch some dreadful stuff at times and very boring football.

Arsenal fans are treated to fabulous football at the Emirates all season. Arsenal fans are happy, they would like a title but they love their team and the football it plays.
    I don't know, liverpool have won a CL recently, what have Arsenal won?

I don't disagree that neutrals like the style that arsenal play, but really, a team that should be challenging for titles and cups, held back by their managers reluctance to spend money??

I can't see how anyone would think of him as amazing.

• Advertisement

I don't know, liverpool have won a CL recently, what have Arsenal won?

I don't disagree that neutrals like the style that arsenal play, but really, a team that should be challenging for titles and cups, held back by their managers reluctance to spend money??

I can't see how anyone would think of him as amazing.

That was back in 2005 though and they have one just the FA cup since, Arsenal won the FA cup back in 2005. Not much of a difference there.

He has consistently qualified for the champions league at a time when we have moved stadium and during very uncertain economic times and has done so with the best financial interests of the club. He also believes in certain players at the club, so why should he go out and buy players who will damage the progress of players he believes in, take Alex Song for example, he was written off by many supporters, would have been very easy to go out and buy a replacement, Song was one of the most improved players in the premiership and is now one of the first names on the team sheet.

People also have to understand that it is not just simply a case of transfer fees, you have to take wages into consideration. Why should a club pay over the odds for a player who is simply not worth that money.

Personally speaking while of course I want us to win something, I am more than happy with the fantastic football we play, and when I look at certain other clubs who have spent large amounts on transfers and overpaid imo on certain transfers and then produce some awful football, I'm more than happy.

The last trophy arsenal won was the FA cup, also in 2005.

And personally I'd value a CL over an FA cup.

Edit - They've also won the FA cup and Charity shield in 2006.

The last trophy arsenal won was the FA cup, also in 2005.

And personally I'd value a CL over an FA cup.

Edit - They've also won the FA cup and Charity shield in 2006.

I said that, as for the charity shield, Arsenal have won the Emirates cup the last two years ;) Finishing 4th in the league is now more important than a FA cup win sadly

I would far rather be in Arsenals position than Liverpool at this present time. As I said its about paying what is right for a player, do you really think Glen Johnson was value for money? I still can't get my head around how much they paid for him.

Ah i'm not disagreeing with you, I was just agreeing with mike65!

I'd prefer arsenals situation at the moment aswell, but with a little spending from wenger, e.g good goalie, defender, maybe a non crocked striker as backup, you could really be making a challenge for the title instead of fourth.

edit - forgot to mention, god no, johnson was a horrendous waste of money.

Ah i'm not disagreeing with you, I was just agreeing with mike65!

I'd prefer arsenals situation at the moment aswell, but with a little spending from wenger, e.g good goalie, defender, maybe a non crocked striker as backup, you could really be making a challenge for the title instead of fourth.

Fair enough.

Thing is though the transfer window is still open, I do believe we will make two more signings, namely a keeper and centre back, would be very surprised if we buy a striker.

It is a strange transfer summer imo, only really City spending and they are of course in a completely different situation

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Fair enough.

Thing is though the transfer window is still open, I do believe we will make two more signings, namely a keeper and centre back, would be very surprised if we buy a striker.

It is a strange transfer summer imo, only really City spending and they are of course in a completely different situation
    I can't see him not signing a defender, would be a disaster IMO, he really needs to either put up the 2m for the sake of a good keeper, or make the move for shay.

I can't see him not signing a defender, would be a disaster IMO, he really needs to either put up the 2m for the sake of a good keeper, or make the move for shay.

Think we will up the bid, suppose we are playing hard ball, probably feels that we are ok against Blackpool, and as always the closer you get to transfer deadline day things can happen very quickly.

He will sign a defender and as extra cover we do also have Song.

Can't really see City selling him to a direct competitor.

The Liverpool/Arsenal comparison doesn't make sense tbh.

If Liverpool's CL is recently, then Arsenal went unbeaten pretty recently too. Also how's that new stadium of theirs coming along?

gosplan wrote: »

If Liverpool's CL is recently, then Arsenal went unbeaten pretty recently too. Also how's that new stadium of theirs coming along?
    I'm not a liverpool supporter so I haven't a clue, not very good I would imagine, also I didn't bring them into the conversation tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

i think we know with arsene wenger,we have a man who is very set and stubborn in his ways.when we invested in the emirates he chose to go down the route of youth,simply because we would not be able to compete with top clubs while we had such a big debt.i think it was a good idea as would most people.

in a way it has worked as we have stayed in the top 4 throughout the whole stadium move etc.the problem is he is hell bent on proving the youth project will pay off the ultimate prize as in the league or CL.this is where his stubborness comes in,i mean we all can see we are 2-3 players away from a serious title challenge,we came so close last season but in the end he would not buy a new striker when van p got injured and it resulted in having to play arshavin as a lone striker,im aware he had chamakh lined up so he probably didnt want to buy another striker but even a loan move could have helped.same scenario when diarra gilberto and flamoney left all in one summer and wenger gave the DM spot to denilson,which was a huge mistake as it resulted in fabregas trying to play the DM aswell with denilson,because denilson hadnt a breeze hot to play it.

as soon as song owned the position last season we seen the true cesc.anyways im rambling bit,basically im happy wenger is here and so are the majority of arsenal fans but sometimes if he just got over his mission of youth and bought a few players we could really push on.

all we want is a keeper defender DM to cover for song and a proper winger:D

i suppose we can judge better at the end of the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

gosplan wrote: »

I hate this bu**sh*t city are at. I don't mid them spending money but when they refuse to sell their cast offs to other teams it reeks of arrogance and is totally hypocritical. What gives them the right to take players of Everton, Villa, bid for Torres (all competitors of theirs) but not let the likes of Shay and Bellamy go to Arsenal or Spurs because they are competitors?

But in response to the OPs question...Arsene has principals. That's his problem...if you want to call it that.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I hate this bu**sh*t city are at. I don't mid them spending money but when they refuse to sell their cast offs to other teams it reeks of arrogance and is totally hypocritical. What gives them the right to take players of Everton, Villa, bid for Torres (all competitors of theirs) but not let the likes of Shay and Bellamy go to Arsenal or Spurs because they are competitors?

But in response to the OPs question...Arsene has principals. That's his problem...if you want to call it that.

not forgetting taking adebuywhore and toure from arsenal,mind you arsene took them to the cleaners in that case!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

same scenario when diarra gilberto and flamoney left all in one summer and wenger gave the DM spot to denilson,which was a huge mistake as it resulted in fabregas trying to play the DM aswell with denilson,because denilson hadnt a breeze hot to play it.

Denilson didn't have the DM spot. We played 4-4-2 that season with no dedicated DM, we just played two box to box CM's.

doc_17 wrote: »
    What gives them the right to take players of Everton, Villa, bid for Torres (all competitors of theirs) but not let the likes of Shay and Bellamy go to Arsenal or Spurs because they are competitors

That would be the huge pile of money they have.

They're paying Bellamy 50K a week to play for Cardiff. Over a nine month season, that's nearly 2 million just so he won't play for another premiership team.

Must be great fun to apply the unlimited funds cheat in FM and then one day decide you want to do it for real. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Archimedes wrote: »

Van Der Sar is a top keeper, why didn't he save it? Can you answer me that?

Now, hold on a cotton picking minute. The two goals are quite different from a goalkeeping perspective. Torres is a couple of yards closer to the endline when he strikes it, and a few yards more in to the centre of the goal. As such, he has much, much more to aim at leaving Van Der Sar with more to cover. Really, ideal positioning for the two situations is quite different.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Denilson didn't have the DM spot. We played 4-4-2 that season with no dedicated DM, we just played two box to box CM's.

many times wenger has said denilson is great at winning the ball back and setting up an attack,ye he never said it out straight but i reckon he sees denilson as a DM type player.

either way that pairing was a fail...

Advertisement