Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willow Park Is it Really THAT bad

• 20-08-2010 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭

Seen in a few threads in this forum about people not recommonding Willow park. Is it really that bad. I lived there last year and thought it was grand My house was warm and clean and in good condition it was within walking distance or the Shops and colleges never had any hassle at night and the rent was cheap (65 a week for a good size Room with all ammenties) that imo is good when I know people paying 90 for apartments.

The only problems I had was the next door neighbours where forever throwing parties which usually ended at around 12 and Noise on a Wedensday night could but Id be either out myself or in bed at that stage but learnt to live with it

My advice would be dont avoid Willow on hearsay have a look at the houses make sure there warm and dry and all bills are included and if you have any problems talk to your landlord. Anybody ive been talking to hasnt had a problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I lived there for the 1st 2 of my 4 years, at that time there was very few other options as many of the apartment blocks had not been built so the majority of Willow was populated by students but with the apartments came a mass exodus from the estate. Sure many houses still house students in Willow but there must be an equal amount lying empty at this stage. Landlords used to cream it from students and offered dire accommodation for the pleasure (you should have seen my house in 1st year!).

Landlords were not willing to bring houses upto scratch 6years ago so there aint no hope in hell that they will now(there are exceptions of course).

The other elephant in the room is the crime of course. My house was broken into and so were countless others, it's exacerbated by the residents living at the back of Willow...You could accuse me of generalizing but the guys who robbed me had addresses at Thornberry drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

I lived there for the 1st 2 of my 4 years, at that time there was very few other options as many of the apartment blocks had not been built so the majority of Willow was populated by students but with the apartments came a mass exodus from the estate. Sure many houses still house students in Willow but there must be an equal amount lying empty at this stage. Landlords used to cream it from students and offered dire accommodation for the pleasure (you should have seen my house in 1st year!).

Landlords were not willing to bring houses upto scratch 6years ago so there aint no hope in hell that they will now(there are exceptions of course).

The other elephant in the room is the crime of course. My house was broken into and so were countless others, it's exacerbated by the residents living at the back of Willow...You could accuse me of generalizing but the guys who robbed me had addresses at Thornberry drive!

Yeap I have seen some kips down there alright and some houses are falling apart you just have to careful when you look but theres some good deals to be had I know someone who got a massive room with a double bed for 40 euro a week and the house is grand.

Yea most Houses are dated but tbh myself im happy enough once the house is clean warm dry isnt falling apart and has all the basic ammenties

tbh I havent heard of any houses getting broken into and havent witnessed any other Crime bar anti social behaviour by Students themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

When I started looking for accomadation everyone including someone who works at the college warned me not to stay at willow park. Looked at a house close to there and the neighbours seemed fairly intimidating. That's just first impressions of course but the feeling among the locals is that it's a pretty rough area. I suppose it depends on your neighbours and the condition of the house.

angelxx wrote: »
    When I started looking for accomadation everyone including someone who works at the college warned me not to stay at willow park. Looked at a house close to there and the neighbours seemed fairly intimidating. That's just first impressions of course but the feeling among the locals is that it's a pretty rough area. I suppose it depends on your neighbours and the condition of the house.

My advice would be to stay up the top Willow cresent willow park willow park drive mostly students in those Houses its a handy out location College is a 2 minute walk everything else is also there Chipper newsagent Chinese offie Delboys pub and a small shop run by an old boy has everything you would need and your man is an abloustle gent.

Have a look around anyways again my Advice again would be to stay up the top mostly Students up there anyways if you have any more questions dont hesitate to PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

Thanks, actually booked accomadation in an apartment close to college so glad to have it sorted wouldn't imagine there are to many places left at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

A couple of years ago, I actually lived right at the back of Willow Park, when I had a job for a few months in Interlink. I had to get a place at really short notice and I took it. I never had any trouble whatsoever from anyone, and I used to have to walk through Willow Park at 1 or 2 in the morning coming home. Having said that, I did feel nervous sometimes because of the stories you hear. Plus the Guards were always around the area. I never felt entirely safe.

Im going to AIT this year as a mature student and have to find a place again. Hopefully I wont have to go take a place down the back again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

well it was bad, very bad one time, admittedly i never lived there and left athlone in 2004 but i used to be down there every day with friends, must have been in half the houses down there at one time :p but robberies, attacks and plain scumbagness were the order of the day in 2000-04, i came up one night for my friends grad in november 2004 and the house was broken into and robbed while we were down in seans :mad:

one of my friends was attacked and beaten up during the daytime by kids and ended up in hospital for over a week, another friend had their downstairs cleared one night while everyone upstairs slept, dj decks, computers, tvs, they even took the fellas jacket, stories of girls been attacked at night were frequent

having said that (and that fact that 50% of the houses should have been knocked in 1990 let alone 2000) it was a great place to make friends and get to know people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wellknownait

Willow has got very bad again during the start of the year and the summer.

Robberies are going mad.

If ur going willow stay at the front anyway. is safe enuf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭thelongwait

Ive lived in athlone for 7 years, some of which were in willow park. the negative element there has been grossly exaggerated. i work very near it and know all the local residents, the are all decent people bar 1 or 2 families near the back, and even they arent too bad, they tend not to bother with other people. It got rough for a while a few years ago when some town undesirables were relocated to the area. thankfully due to the residents association they didnt last long.

As for the houses. Ive been told by a few people that the standard has risen alot this year. due to the lack of students living in the park over the last 2 years or so landlords have really pulled the finger out and done up there houses in an attempt to get the students back.

if any1 has any questions about the area feel free to drop me a pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Ive lived in athlone for 7 years, some of which were in willow park. the negative element there has been grossly exaggerated.

I really have to disagree with you. I dont think that anyone here has 'grossly exaggerated', not by a long shot. Personally I have no gripe with Willow Park, my own post is from my direct experience.

What I would advise is, if at all possible live in one of the many apartment complexes. Speaking from experience (of living in both Willow and apartments) apartment living comes with way less stress, most notably not having to buy bin tags!!! Your bills are usually included (so no dividing out amongst each other) and the oil does not run out :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭thelongwait

I really have to disagree with you. I dont think that anyone here has 'grossly exaggerated', not by a long shot. Personally I have no gripe with Willow Park, my own post is from my direct experience.

What I would advise is, if at all possible live in one of the many apartment complexes. Speaking from experience (of living in both Willow and apartments) apartment living comes with way less stress, most notably not having to buy bin tags!!! Your bills are usually included (so no dividing out amongst each other) and the oil does not run out :p

I agree, living in apartments is much easier, i was only speaking about the reputation of willow park. i was just saying that its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. most of the rumours are spread by apartment owners so that students will choose apartments over houses out of fear. most landlords are willing to do some sort of a deal for bins, oil etc if you ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Is it really that bad.

Yes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

If you are going to live in Willow, try to stay close to the front. I lived in Willow View for a few months and only had problems thanks to some of the people I lived with. The house wasn't great TBH, but the landlord didn't really give a damn if it was trashed. He did try to con me out of my deposit when I was leaving though...

It is a bit scary for a shortarse, lightweight girl like me. But I manned the **** up in no time when I got a longsword...:P

Just look for a good house with the minimum of bins, TV licence and oil included in the rent, and if possible live with people who you know and won't be partying until 7am. There's less restrictions about leases and the like in a house, it's easier to end the contract and you have a bit more space. I'm living in an apartment in town this year and miss having a garden somethin' shockin'!

vinamax wrote: »
    If you are going to live in Willow, try to stay close to the front. I lived in Willow View for a few months and only had problems thanks to some of the people I lived with. The house wasn't great TBH, but the landlord didn't really give a damn if it was trashed. He did try to con me out of my deposit when I was leaving though...

It is a bit scary for a shortarse, lightweight girl like me. But I manned the **** up in no time when I got a longsword...:P

Just look for a good house with the minimum of bins, TV licence and oil included in the rent, and if possible live with people who you know and won't be partying until 7am. There's less restrictions about leases and the like in a house, it's easier to end the contract and you have a bit more space. I'm living in an apartment in town this year and miss having a garden somethin' shockin'!

Check for this but the landowner doesnt have to pay it then again the inspector has no right to enter the house so just tell them nicely to F"ck off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

I know they don't have to, but the nice ones will sort it for ya. And I think there are legal ways around the whole not-having-to-let-them-in thing...

Although I could be wrong. My only dealing with a TV licence inspector was when I was living in 10 Cypress Gardens. The spanner was looking for number 11.... :P

vinamax wrote: »
    I know they don't have to, but the nice ones will sort it for ya. And I think there are legal ways around the whole not-having-to-let-them-in thing...

Although I could be wrong. My only dealing with a TV licence inspector was when I was living in 10 Cypress Gardens. The spanner was looking for number 11.... :P

just tell them you dont live there generally is the best thing to do but they have no legal right to enter the house same with the Gards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sarahinnavan

a small shop run by an old boy has everything you would need and your man is an abloustle gent.

Good Jesus! Smelly Joe's is never still there is it? I left there in 1999. Is that the shop that's part of a house beyond what used to be Brendan's/Charlie Browns?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

Good Jesus! Smelly Joe's is never still there is it? I left there in 1999. Is that the shop that's part of a house beyond what used to be Brendan's/Charlie Browns?

Yup he is still there!!

Advertisement