Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBand disconnecting - Carrigaline!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

danny004,

One needs the patience of all the saints put together plus all their relations :D

Thats why I hate these tech support depts. The mushroom treatment ..

Aidan

Btw, whatever happened to "Carrigaline community broadband"? I think it was last year that all the streets were dug up and lots of cable laid. Is that now just buried money? Or is it in operation?

Their was some sort of tussle between the council and Eircom to the extent Eircom didnt plant any new cable ( not sure who's fault ). What this means is their will be a rematch in the future which no doubt will result in the streets being dug up again - just watch this space!

Whatever about "Carrigaline community broadband" - shur they couldnt even keep Carrigaline / Southcoast Community TV up and running. That went about two months ago without barely a whimper from local press. I was talking to a local politician recently on this. He said he had only ONE complaint about how Southcoast went. The complaint was valid because quiet a few people bought shares in Southcoast. They were never informed of its demise nor was their ever a meeting called for shareholders to give them an explanation! KPMG were / are handling it!

Aidan

Interesting - I am running PINGPLOTTER ( small nwrk app, google it, install, try it ) - Im running a test pinging the route to www.eircom.net. At the point of the B-RAS which is Churchfield their are intermittent 100% packet loss occuring. The first hop is to BRAS1.CHF - no hops before this to local carrig exchange or quaker road. Maybe they have moved us to Churchfield direct?

Heres a snapshot of last Half Hour or ( from about 8.11pm until 8.20 ) The big red chunks are for the 5 minutes it went down in that time - as in 100% packet loss.

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab344/thephotoplace/pingplot_24810_830.jpg

The image is at the link above as too large for this forum page ..

Using both:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/bw.asp
    http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

I am getting about 2-3MBPS Download speed. I am paying for 7MBPS :D ... contention no doubt!

Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

aidanodr wrote: »
    Maybe they have moved us to Churchfield direct?

Hi Aidan,
    It's Layer 2 until Churchfield, only at that stage does it go to Layer 3, so on traceroute you will only see things starting at Churchfield. You are correct about the route though, in your case it's

Carrigaline -> Quaker Road -> Churchfield

As you can see there seems to be large packet loss at the Churchfield hop. Could this be reflecting the Carrigaline / Quaker Rd layer 2 though I am not seeing the hops? OR is that packet loss at Churchfield? If so loads more than Carrig should be dropping?

At the b-ras1.chf.cork.eircom.net Hop at the moment one gets 100% loss every 2 / 3 minutes ..

Aidan

• Advertisement

As you can see there seems to be large packet loss at the Churchfield hop. Could this be reflecting the Carrigaline / Quaker Rd layer 2 though I am not seeing the hops? OR is that packet loss at Churchfield? If so loads more than Carrig should be dropping?

At the b-ras1.chf.cork.eircom.net Hop at the moment one gets 100% loss every 2 / 3 minutes ..

Aidan

It means there is packet loss somewhere between Carrigaline and Churchfield, hard to tell at what point, at a guess though, I would say it's closer to the Carrigaline side of things, and yes, that would mean others in Carrigaline would be experiencing similar problems.

What actually drops? Is your DSL dropping and needing to resync, or is it just PPPoE that is dropping while DSL remains ok. Also, what are your line stats? Are you monitoring what is going on in your router at

http://192.168.1.254

ITS PPPoE that is dropping while DSL remains ok. As in the GREEN DSL Light remains on solid on the router.

Line stats all over the place if you mean Download speeds.

We know theirs a problem down here - loads of people affected regardless of provider once using the Eircom Exchange. i suppose it will depend on what cabinet ones estate is on could dictate severity of problem - unless its the whole exchange!

See spooky donkey's message on page two:

"well as far as I know, they are still working on the problem, they are having diffuculty determining what is causing it but it is being worked on. Best ive heard they are going to try move some customers to other exchanges see if it helps. "

Aidan

Interesting that your line is holding it's dsl connection at all times, but PPPoE is going down. In this scenario, PPPoE can only go down in two ways, by user request from your own router, or by Eircom from server on b-ras1.chf.cork.eircom.net.

Eircom won't be connecting anyone's line to a different exchange, workload would be huge and you would just end up so far away from the new exchange, that you wouldn't be even able to get broadband at all most likely.

One thing they *could* do though, would be to change you over to a different BRAS server in Churchfield. They will moan and groan and say we don't have a procedure for this, but it *can* be done and *has* been done before. I'm on b-ras2.chf.cork.eircom.net myself and have no problems whatsoever.

douglasman wrote: »
    ... In this scenario, PPPoE can only go down in two ways, by user request from your own router, or by Eircom from server on b-ras1.chf.cork.eircom.net ... I'm on b-ras2.chf.cork.eircom.net myself and have no problems whatsoever ....

If its "user request from your own router", then alot of Carrigaline must be putting in user request from there own different routers :D

Yip re b-ras1 v b-ras2, thats interesting too. You in Douglas? Alot of people around that area having drop issues too.

Aidan

If its "user request from your own router", then alot of Carrigaline must be putting in user request from there own different routers :D

Yip re b-ras1 v b-ras2, thats interesting too. You in Douglas? Alot of people around that area having drop issues too.

Aidan

Yes, i'm on the Douglas exchange. My route takes a similar path to yours except i'm going

Douglas -> Quaker Road -> Churchfield

and am connecting to b-ras2 in Churchfield. What does it say for line attenuation and snr margin on your router and what speed does your dsl sync at according to your router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I have had about 6/7 drops this evening since 7pm. Had to restart the router each time. At least it is reconnecting tonight which is hasn't most f the time for last few weeks. Douglas exchange here.
    Funnily enough my router says it is still connected to the internet but it is not. Even dropped again right there as I tried to post this and had to restart again.

Ludo wrote: »
    I have had about 6/7 drops this evening since 7pm. Had to restart the router each time. At least it is reconnecting tonight which is hasn't most f the time for last few weeks. Douglas exchange here.
    Funnily enough my router says it is still connected to the internet but it is not. Even dropped again right there as I tried to post this and had to restart again.

Hi Ludo, could you post your line stats from your router, line attenuation, snr margin and your sync speed. Also do a traceroute to www.boards.ie, that would be tracert www.boards.ie (for Windows users in a command prompt window) to see which b-ras server you are on.

Here you go DM, its a screen shot taken at 21:35 on today 24/8/10:

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab344/thephotoplace/router_stats_24082010.jpg

( SMC Barricade G 7904wbra2 Router )

Aidan

Data rate (Kbps)
    1952 384
    Noise margin (dB)
    6.6 14.0
    Output power (dBm)
    17.4 2.1
    Attenuation (dB)
    48.0 28.0

Line stats have always been like this even when service was perfect up to about a few weeks ago when the constant drops started and most nights I cant reconnect at all. I'm on Vodafone if it matters.

Tracing route to loadbalancer.boards.ie [89.234.66.107]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.2.1
    2 16 ms 16 ms 95 ms 89.19.64.130
    3 19 ms 16 ms 17 ms 89.19.64.201
    4 16 ms 16 ms 17 ms to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
    5 * 17 ms 17 ms ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]

Trace complete.

Here you go DM, its a screen shot taken at 21:35 on today 24/8/10:

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab344/thephotoplace/router_stats_24082010.jpg

( SMC Barricade G 7904wbra2 Router )

Aidan

Hi Aidan,

Your Noise Margin for Downstream is very low. This is below the recommended levels and an SNR of 4dB may cause regular disconnects. Have a read of

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Lowering your broadband speed will improve the Noise Margin, but that's a last resort.

Hi DM,

OK. And Ludo's stats are:

Noise margin (dB)
    6.6 14.0

I would assume his downstream is 6.6, not to far off mine?

I am leaving things alone to be honest. With so many others having the same issue it cannot be a fault peculiar to myself.

Thanks for info, keep it coming ..

Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

Just wondering does anyone know what kind of hours engineers/technicians work on a problem like this i.e. is it strictly 9 to 5 or is it all hands to the pumps to get it sorted 24/7. I had some kind of notion that when we had disconnects that it was Eircom doing stuff to fix the problem of PPoE drop out but then the disconnects seem to be any time night or day.

Heres a thread over at Eircom forums worth keeping an eye on:

http://eircomconnect.eircom.net/Forum/?mode=2&threadid=1099

An admission of a fault:

"There is a problem logged with broadband engineers regarding the Carrigaline exchange in Cork. They are working on it but have been unable to give a resolution time-frame as yet, but as soon as I get an update I will let you know."

Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

im getting disconnected too and im on the wellington road exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

To be honest the broadband in carrigaline is a shambles.
    Sometimes it can down for 40 minutes but it does go down frequently for 5-10 mins and i am within 2 minute walk from it.
    Funnily enough,IMAGINE, the broadband provider called this evening and selling their service saying they will be online here in 6 months,wonder if due to this ,will people go with them?
    I must say i was not impressed as this guy had no technical knowledge and was glad to make his exit when questions about the router etc were asked.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

25-08-2010:

Over at - http://eircomconnect.eircom.net/Forum/default.aspx - I left a message about These drops and also that WE should be getting some sort of refund. Seems the refund could happen:

"Hi aidanodr,

.. we are aware of a number of areas and customers from eircom different providers have been effected in Cork.

Just to assure you we are working on it as quickly as possible to insure all customers affected will be restored as soon as we have resolved the issue.

After the problem has been fixed eircom will address the rebate issue and process.

Thanks, Mark"

Cheers - Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭RareVintage

The latest reply from Eircom on the Eircom connect broadband forum

We have sent requests for updates re this issue in Carrigaline. At this stage we have been informed that it is not a congestion or overload issue as service has been dropping and is not just slow as far as we are aware. Customers in the area are reporting different problems, which is why a tech was sent to some individual faults, such as your own. I honestly cannot state the exact problem at this time, but as soon as we here on the forum are given the reason we will let you know

If you've experienced persistent and frequent disconnections over the last 6 weeks or so and would like to seek a refund try what I describe in my post above. It worked for me, they promised me 1 month's discount (€30 in my case).
    Unless, as Aidan hinted at, Eircom will be offering refunds en-masse...

Yi Hay,

I know its almost unbelievable, but for me, over here in Kilmoney, Carrigaline IT HAS BEEN THE FIRST UNINTERRUPTED DAY OF BBAND that I have had in I dont know how long ..

As I work on websites and the like I have Internet radio on in the background, stayed on all day without interuption. Its now 18:41, can it last the rest of the day however??

Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭RareVintage

Mine's been good today as well, since 2pm. There were two lengthy drops last night/early this morning though, so don't count your chickens just yet...
    Not so long ago (week before last?) I had 4 or so days without any disconnects then "it" came back.
    I can't help being optimistic though (!), maybe numbers of callers and demands for refunds have spurred them into action?

I counted my Chickens Im afraid - Just had a ten minute one at about 9.15. And now again at 9:30 ..

Here we go again!

And their I thought Id get one good day :D

Aidan

Yep...same here...been ok most of the evening but been dropping for the last 30 mins continuously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

It's been down again this morning between 7 and 7:30...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Was very poor again last night, what's the number for Eircom Billing, I can't seem to get past the 1901 IVR

Poor aint the word this morning. Dropping all over the place - loads of short ones. Coming thick and fast

Aidan ( carrigaline )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

Seems Ok in Ringaskiddy for now but then not long home

Advertisement