Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBand disconnecting - Carrigaline!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Have been unable to load websites for last 40 minutes. Router says it is connected and torrents work. Odd. Had to post this from my mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Niallt3

My internet's still disconnecting but not as much as the last few days. To be fair to eircom, in the last week I saw 4 eircom vans driving around Carrigaline which when you compare that to all of last year thats a increase of 4. Also today got a refund for 165 euro, good times..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Tis now ten to one on this friday morn AM.

Earlier an event happened that never happened here before - MY ADSL SYNC LIGHT WENT COMPLETELY OUT around 9:45pm. I was off to Rosies for a few lemonades at that stage so no idea how long that lasted. With the ADSL SYNC light off it means NO Bband coming down the line at all. Maybe thats a good sign on the repair front ... a whole system reboot :D

Maybe its after the few lemonades but my 7MBPS BBand seems alot more slicker. The bandwidth speed tests say the same. But then that is without the typical contention at this time of night .. It could also be the few too many lemonades :D - Ill hold my powder until tomorrow ..

Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭RareVintage

Hi Aidan, had the same at 9.45. That's the first time I've had a DSL disconnect, it went off just after the internet connection dropped. When I was trying the 'restart connection' I got a red message saying "ATM failure" (?) and then bizarrely, as I continued to try and reconnect, 'password field empty'. I went into the 'expert mode' section and put 'broadband1' back in. Then I got my DSL and internet back on the next restart.
    No problems since then.
    Maybe, slowly, you can start counting your chickens...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

There were multiple disconnects this morning,so we aren't there just yet:mad:

• Advertisement

Connection seems to be solid all day long,but the contention is brutal again :mad:
    Getting 1.5Mb instead of 8Mb (I'm on the 8Mb business package)

Monday Early AM.

It seems just maybe, really maybe we are now over our problems here. Last two nights / days have been rock solid, no disconnects. I have left my IRC client open ( MIRC ) all day in a room I chat in about all things 3D app wise. No drops, even when I came back to the IRC a few hours later I wasnt disconnected - which would have been normal up to now.

Maybe Im counting too many chickens, but lookin good for now!
    Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

I agree with Gibbon the connection seems solid but bad bad contention

We have to agree that it is indeed progress?

This is the first time I can remember in a long long time when I DO NOT have to reset my router at least every morning if not a few times a day ...

AHHH Luxury :D
    Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I heard they are installing a new card in the caraglaine exchange today or tomorrow. They are hoping this sorts the problem. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

OK small update, i just checked that that card was installed at around 2pm today. There was 2 more outages after this one at 15:30 and another at about 4 and it seems stable since but they are monitoring closly.
    Hope this fix works. Will let ye know if I hear any more.

Thanks SD,

I noticed these outages at the times you stated, BUT at least they have got around to fixing this and not blaming our routers anymore :D

Look forward to your updates

Now ... off to Rosies :D
    Cheers
    Aidan

Down here again for last 40 mins or so. Douglas exchange. Just back now.

ok as far as I know they have closed the issue. When they replaced the ATM card it worked fine for 24 hours after. So they think this issue is resolved. Ill keep an eye on it. Let you know if I hear any thing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

Spooky
    Any news on the contention it seems appaling at the moment ping times of 135 and speeds of less than 1 Mb on a 7Mb connection.Im with VF on the Ringaskiddy exchange by the way. Id change to Eircom if I thought it would be any better.

i have heard nothing about the ringaskiddy exhange, but if I do ill let you know.
    I dont think it matters what ISP your with it depends on your phone line quality and distance.

I've had no disconnections now for the last couple of days (afternoon-night-time user). Can we assume that our travails are over?

I asked for a refund and was offered a one month refund (€30 for Eircom domestic 3mb) on my BB, did anyone else ask for and get a refund for all the disruption?
    What about subscribers to other billers, did any Vodafone/Smart customers ask for/get a refund?

Still dropping here every evening completely for long periods. Not Carrigaline exchange though...Douglas.

I believe it is now fixed for carragaline, not sure about douglas heard nothing about that exchange.

Probably minor,

BUT had a drop 3rd Sept 2010. Early AM I would say. I was on up to 1am, no prob. Turned on PC at 10:20am - loaded browser - NOTHING.

Reset router - back up.

Same thing - ADSL light on solid as normal. Router saying physically up. But no one at home :D

Maybe they were doing a "reset" or repair during early AM.

Will keep an eye,
    Aidan

• Advertisement

they normally dont work on the exchanges late at night. Might have been just a hic up all right.
    Seems most people are reporting their connection is fine now. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

My connection down there seems a lot more stable, any of you seeing an improvement?

I had to resurrect this thread:

Today Eircom broadband went down at 11.30 AM and came back around 6 PM.
    Was anyone else affected by this around Carrigaline?

As I work during the week the only time I can college work get done is over the weekends,but broadband is essential for this.So there goes my Saturday wasted...:mad:

As I have a custom firmware running on my good old Netgear DG843GT I could see exactly the same symptoms we were having a few months back:
    I took ages (3-5 minutes) to get the IP assigned and to get connected to the DNS servers.But then it was keep dropping the LCP and it started all over like an infinite loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Yes,i had the same problem using vodafone BB and the lotto machines were also down in carrigaline,both supervalue and Dunnes.

Does anyone know if UPC has plans to expand its business to Carrigaline at some stage?
    I'm sick of paying this much money to Eircom for this appalling service (contention is a serious issue every evening,can't watch anything on Youtube...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Me too. It went down for about an hour at 2am as well.

I don't suppose us mere customers will be offered any explanation!

Was it only Carrigaline that was turned off?
    Perhaps if someone knows someone who's an Eircom engineer they could find out what happened...

Lamposts wrote: »
    Me too. It went down for about an hour at 2am as well.

Yep,it was at exactly 1.21 am.
    I know because I was still working on my essay...I might forward the essay title to Eircom to finish it for me :D

I don't have a good feeling: I think a good few disconnects will follow,just like back in August/September...

Gibbon
    "contention is a serious issue"
    I'm not up to speed with the physics involved or the language to describe it...
    Is "contention" equivalent to the number of individual connections, amount of data (per user or in total)...? How would you describe what that is?

On my router homepage it says "Line Attenuation: 24/14 dB"
    What does "attenuation" describe? I understand "decibel" in general and I understand that that's download/upload... is this like a kind of "signal interference"

I'm trying to listen to a realplayer radio stream at the mo but with frequent breaks and jumps, which at other times is not a problem, is this down to Sunday lunchtime "contention" (lots of users) ?

Sorry to distract you from your essay;)

• Advertisement

RareVintage

Yep,your are correct: contention ratio means that how many users are sharing the same bandwith at the same time.

I went with the 8Mb business package,because in theory it has a much better contention ratio than the "normal" ones (12:1 vs 48:1).
    But that is only theory,the practice shows different :mad:

Line attenuation:the following link will explain it very simple.

http://www.botskool.com/forum/computer-programming/networking-and-ethical-hacking/snr-margin-and-line-attenuation-what-do-th

Advertisement