Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would there be interest in a Tradfest or Trad music weekend in Limerick?

• 20-08-2010 7:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Somebody i know was looking into this just said id get some opinions here:) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

nothing beats a good aul trad secession, in my openion theres not a lot of that in the city so if theres was a few places doing it other than dolans), id say it would go down very well here..thats my openion anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Thanks Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

ya....i think itd go down a right treat.nothing beats a good aul trad session :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Early sessions would be good to bring the kids we need to encourage Irish traditions and music with in the younger generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

name the time and place.had a great time in dingle over the weekend.trad music and dancing.has to be dancing.not a great dancer myself .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's always a good gang of talented trad musicians in Mary I. They'd usually play Monday nights in Bobby Byrne's or in Charlie Malone's. If you wait until the end of September you could probably get a very good session with the students, but it'd have to be Monday to Thursday. :)

Thanks is there a trad group or club?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

bigpink wrote: »
    Thanks is there a trad group or club?

There's always a Trad Society every year.

Up until last May we had a group of 6 amazing musicians, they called themselves Lóchrann. They even toured the USA with the Saw Doctors for a while! I think they've all finished their courses now though :(

Any contacts said them my way please i pass them on

Lets steal Willie Clancy week!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

you should contact bradshaws in castleconnel, a bunch of lads have sessions there every Tuesday which can attract a nice crowd in the summer,so it might be a good way of getting a few phone numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'd support this.

Why don't the few pubs around the Denmark St. area of the town band together and dedicate 1 weekend each year for wall-to-wall trad, advertising it well in advance?

If this proved a success, the City Council could look at something bigger like hosting the Fleadh.

The Willie Clancy fest is great, no doubt. But it is a hike west and doesn't attract the casual passerby. Parking is a mess there too. Limerick would be accessible to greater numbers.

topper75 wrote: »
    If this proved a success, the City Council could look at something bigger like hosting the Fleadh.

My girlfriend has been working part-time with a taxi company in Cavan during the Fleadh. They've been getting an average of 30 calls per minute the last few nights, with as many people on the streets as we had on O'Connell St. when Munster played their first victorious European Cup final. To see something like that in this city would be amazing.

Might give all those taxi drivers something to do as well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Sibin used to be a great place in Limerick to go for trad/folk music. Dolans is just too far from everything else

There's plenty of pubs in the city centre like Myles breens etc that could have good trad sessions

topper75 wrote: »
    I'd support this.

Why don't the few pubs around the Denmark St. area of the town band together and dedicate 1 weekend each year for wall-to-wall trad, advertising it well in advance?

The Willie Clancy fest is great, no doubt. But it is a hike west and doesn't attract the casual passerby. Parking is a mess there too. Limerick would be accessible to greater numbers.

The person that asked me my opinon was looking away from just denmark st the pubs there have all the trade because of location plus they have there street parties via the Market quarter
    This would benefit alot more places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

This would benefit alot more places

Fair enough. People don't like trekking across city streets packed with traffic though for festivals though so you'd be hard pushed for another cluster of pubs.

It's time they packed in the Riverfest. You won't get outsiders to travel to our city to celebrate a river that is there the other 363 days of the year anyway!

If Limerick is serious about positioning itself as a city worth visiting alongside Cork and Galway, then it is imperative that they get at least 1 annual festival right. Trad is an excellent idea. I know Miltown Malbay have their week in July but, timed well, a weekend in Limerick could be quite complimentary and would also showcase our good side to foreign visitors rather than just people from other Irish counties.

Well i told the person with the idea to join on baords here aswell.The pubs down on denmark st have it alot easier,shur Nancys Blakes pulled there support of Mardi Gras because they felt they didnt need it,someone involved told me thats why they were not on the posters and advertising,in fairness thats madness

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

The pubs down on denmark st have it alot easier,shur Nancys Blakes pulled there support of Mardi Gras because they felt they didnt need it,someone involved told me thats why they were not on the posters and advertising,in fairness thats madness

I think a Trad Fest contained in this area or Thomas St would work well. Wouldn't work if it was on from Dolans to the Locke and back to Souths etc i.e. not city wide. Is the above true by the way? If so, I always thought you could never be too busy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If Limk had something like the rhythm and roots in Kilkenny, but for trad, or trad style music, it would be great, just have loads of gigs on for free in pubs around a certain part of town, and people will move about from one to the other I think...
    I think trying to have something with a twist, rather than just a bunch of trad bands playing in pubs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They could have it in the shannon st/roches/glenworth area

White House, Flannerys, Tom Collins, Fla's, Bourkes, Breens, would be a good catchment of pubs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 limerickperson

Think its a great idea for the city....................thetre is some sort of a trad night going on during Limerick Pride on tuesday the 7th in Bentley's .....it might be interesting........its on the website www.limerickpride.ie

I think a Trad Fest contained in this area or Thomas St would work well. Wouldn't work if it was on from Dolans to the Locke and back to Souths etc i.e. not city wide. Is the above true by the way? If so, I always thought you could never be too busy...

Yep its true.Look at the mardi gras adverts nancys wasnt on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The obvious location is the "Market Quarter", whether Nancies need the business or not isn't all that relevant, the other places could do with it and more importantly, it's the only place in the city with enough pubs to make a real go of it.

I'm not awfully keen on the name "Market Quarter" but it's no worse or better than other names I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

don't think trad would go down well in the shed that is smyths....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

seachto7 wrote: »
    don't think trad would go down well in the shed that is smyths....

We could put Christy Moore in there...

Advertisement