Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Realising you're still a noob and have a lot to learn

• 20-08-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Only cycling since October ish last year. This week I took delivery of my first pair of shoe covers in preparation of the cold winter spins (had very cold toes last year). Anyway, tried them on with the cycle shoes this eve and thought these are very hard to get on and I'm going to rip the sh1t out of them! Then tried them with runners I wear for the commute. I'll definately rip these in a week or so.

20 minutes later it dawned on me that it would be much easier to put the covers up my shin BEFORE putting on the shoe!

Mug

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Brilliant. Very funny.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Ah I've made loads of beginner mistakes. I changed to clipless pedals when I was 16 and the first time I ever tried to take my old pedals off the bike, I couldn't for the life of me get the left pedal off. Turns out it was counter-threaded and I spent 10 minutes actually tightening it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

When I switched from SPD to Look Keo, I was trying for ages to figure out how the giant pedal spanner was gonna work on the Looks. Quite some time passed before I realised an allen key in the axle did the job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Raam wrote: »
    When I switched from SPD to Look Keo, I was trying for ages to figure out how the giant pedal spanner was gonna work on the Looks. Quite some time passed before I realised an allen key in the axle did the job.

I had to ask here about that :o

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

During a spin I dropped a granola bar on the road while trying to open the wrapper. I slowed down & tried to do a U-turn when I suddenly realised how narrow the road was. I lost my balance, failed to unclip my shoes in time & hit the deck. End result was a damaged derailleur hanger & ego. Ended up being an expensive granola bar!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I had to ask how to use the track pump in cycleways. Ive a schrader valve at the back and a presta at the front. didnt realise the connection fits both!
    I did build both wheels(and the bike) tho so not a total noob, but it was a little embarassing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Had been cycling for a while before getting clipless pedals and used them for a while without incident.

One morning while out for a spin in the Phoenix Park I came up to the Castleknock Roundabout and couldn't make up my mind which way I wanted to go. As I was thinking about this and watching the traffic I naturally enough slowed down to the point where I did the slow fall of death in front of about a dozen cars and a few walkers.:)

Advertisement