Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CZ 527 Lux in .223 barrel chop,what do you think??

Options
  • 20-08-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

The son is thinking of getting his 223 barrel 1-12 twist chopped, recrowned and rethreaded. It has a 23.6" barrel now and with a T8 mod on the end it's a bit nose heavy.
    I know there will be a muzzel velocity drop but with 40gr ammo @3800fps it could loose a little without a drop off in accuracy to much.

So how much will/should he take off to make it a nicer handling gun?? I was thinkinng on the lines of to only leave a couple of inches of front of the stock with the T8 mod on, what do think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

I'm gonna do the same with my rifle clive havent decided wether to take off 2 or 4 inches yet, if you only want the rifle for shooting foxes why not go for it, shouldnt loose any accuracy from what I've been reading..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

JMO but I'd leave it that length and go ahead with the recrown and screw cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

clivej wrote: »
    The son is thinking of getting his 223 barrel 1-12 twist chopped, recrowned and rethreaded. It has a 23.6" barrel now and with a T8 mod on the end it's a bit nose heavy.
    I know there will be a muzzel velocity drop but with 40gr ammo @3800fps it could loose a little without a drop off in accuracy to much.

So how much will/should he take off to make it a nicer handling gun?? I was thinkinng on the lines of to only leave a couple of inches of front of the stock with the T8 mod on, what do think??
    I have a 20" barrel on my .308 and a 26" on my .223.

I had been out a lot lately with the .308.
    I took the .223 out this evening. And I was wishing I had a shorter barrel.

There have been several success stories with barrel chopping and recrowning.
    If all he wants it for is box bashing maybe chopping it down to 20" would make it tastier. Or buy using an ASE ULTRA the new one is very small!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I'm gonna do the same with my rifle clive havent decided wether to take off 2 or 4 inches yet, if you only want the rifle for shooting foxes why not go for it, shouldnt loose any accuracy from what I've been reading..

That's my way of thinking, the max range he shoots is only going to be 200y on foxes. And the fox kill zone is big enough as well.

It could get the chop to 18" yet. I'll have a chat with the gunsmiths and hear what they say as well.

I was looking at the RPA .308 Woodland Stalker on Sunday last with the 16" barrel. It was shooting well.

woodland_stalker.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

I posted this link somewhere already clive but you might find it interesting, I'm a bit worried if I'll still be able to shoot a target at 5 or 6 hundred yards if I shorten my barrel from 24 to 20 inches as its something I really want to have a go at, think it should be...:rolleyes: thats a serious lookin little stalking rifle BTW...:)

http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/October05.htm

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

That should save you 90 quid mate...go for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Makes it look simple enough though id rather cut mine off in a lathe :)

So whos gonna be the first to try it out......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

That's my way of thinking, the max range he shoots is only going to be 200y on foxes. And the fox kill zone is big enough as well.

It could get the chop to 18" yet. I'll have a chat with the gunsmiths and hear what they say as well.

I was looking at the RPA .308 Woodland Stalker on Sunday last with the 16" barrel. It was shooting well.

woodland_stalker.jpg

How accurate can a barrel this short be....? Looks very neat and compact :)

tfox wrote: »
    How accurate can a barrel this short be....? Looks very neat and compact :)

They quote 1/2 MOA for the gun.

• Advertisement

They quote 1/2 MOA for the gun.

Anschutz make a very short barreled varmint rifle
    http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?produktID=305&menu=109&sprache=1&produktShow=detail

If you want it for foxing only at night ~200 yards then it may be the way to go.
    Since I put on a serious crown on my 20" .308 she is grouping well, almost 1 hole @100

124987.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Mind ya don't go too short Clive, 19.6 inches used to be the old minimum. Had a quick scan of the guidelines and they mention a barrel length of 50cm now (pretty much the same), but those are the guidelines and not the SI.

johngalway wrote: »
    Mind ya don't go too short Clive, 19.6 inches used to be the old minimum. Had a quick scan of the guidelines and they mention a barrel length of 50cm now (pretty much the same), but those are the guidelines and not the SI.

Hence tikka only making 20" and Remington and a few others.
    Below that you will be defeating the purpose of a rifle anyway
    my .308 with a reflex mod on is still quite short.
    it is shorter than my 26" .223 with the mod off even!

Advertisement