Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does a dog have parvo before they have symptoms..

Options
  • 20-08-2010 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

As above, do symptoms start straight away? i got a pup tuesday from the pound and today he has yellow pooh, he's pooh's a hell of a lot but doesnt eat big amounts.. i changed his food yesterday and im hoping thats all it is... the last pooh he had wasnt as yellow..

He seems a very healthy size, is eating well, very energetic and playful...

Havent had a puppy in a while so i dont know if this is normal?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Diarrhoea in pups can be very serious or could be just a simple stomach upset. They can go downhill very fast - matter of hours - so keep a very close eye on your pup. It's a good sign that he is eating and his normal, playful self but if this changes at all you need to get him to a vet asap. Dehydration is the biggest problem that could happen so make sure his water intake is good. Pups poo a lot but anything dodgy is reason for concern.

Personally, I would bring the pup to the vet to get checked out (with a stool and food sample if possible). Any new dog (whether from a rescue, breeder or pound) should be checked out soon after arriving in it's new home and because you have been having poo problems it's a very good idea. If it is something minor, your vet will be able to recommend practices, treat if possible and be able to give you special food to feed while he recovers. You will also be able to discuss appropriate times to get the pups his vaccinations (and other routine vet treatments).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sounds like normal puppy poo tbh? What are you feeding him? Our pup's poo was yellow on pedigree (from the breeder), hills and jwb.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I had a foster dog here who sadly died of parvo :(she went down hill very fast.She seemed very quiet for a terrier,began vomiting wouldnt eat even refused cooked chicken.She began vomiting yellow bile and blood and then she had very very bad diahrea with alot of blood.She died within hours :).There was a very distinct smell off her aswell.If I were you Id bring the puppy to the vet as soon as you can for a check up just to be safe :)Best of luck with your new friend x

Advertisement