Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay at home parent v unemployed?

Options
  • 20-08-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Okay, so what's the difference?

While I was pregnant, my work contract ended so I signed on and shortly afterwards went on maternity benefit. Now I'm getting dole again, occasionally signing off when I get offered (very short) contract work (about 2 weeks at a time). I'm at home full time with my son (12 months now) and genuinely looking for work, although realistically we'll need to move to the city for me to get a real job. I love being at home with my boy, but love work too. I am not house proud, can barely keep the floors clean and don't iron. I like cooking, do loads of DIY/garden related stuff, but honestly, don't much love the 'stay-at-home' part of being a stay at home parent. Once I've enough done around the house to not be labelled a slob and to keep husband happy, me and junior are out of the house or on the road.

So at what point do I stop being unemployed and start being a stay at home parent? Is it a matter of being in receipt of dole, or is it more of a philosophical difference? If I make the switch in my head to being a SAHP, do I need to start baking cupcakes and wearing skirts? How did you adapt to the transformation, or have you tried to avoid it?

Insights please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Hi well I am a stay at home parent through choice and do not claim any benefit, so I presume the difference between us is that you are actively looking for and willing to work outside the home when the opportunity arises. I think the titles of housewife/stay at home mum automatically make us all think of the houseproud baking skirt wearing women of our mothers time, but I dont think that that is what makes a stay at home parent. It makes me laugh whenever I hear a stay at home dad been interviewed a lot of them claim to only mind and feed the kids it sounds like their wives come home from work and the do the majority of the chores, I dont think many stay at home wives get away with that one! Now I am not saying this is the way for all stay at home dads but for the four or five I have seen/heard been interviewed this has bee what they have said! I have became more houseproud as kids have got bigger and dont make such a mess and I do a bit of baking but like you I do like to take off as much as allows! I think if I worked full time a ceaner would be required if possible. I have to say though I enjoy been a stay at home mom more than any job I have ever had and do not regret the decision to do so. To be honest I think I may be a bit of a control freak and would not trust someone else to mind my kids!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You are looking for work so therefore entitled to the dole a person that choose to be a stay at home parent is not actively seeking work so is not entitled to the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I chose not to work for a while after my 2nd which meant I was a sahm, I was surprised by the amount of people saying I should be claiming the dole but honestly I made the choice so to me I was not entitled to the dole. If you decide to be a sahm then thats what you are, if you are an out of work mom then fair enough thats what you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vinnypc1

Okay, so what's the difference?

While I was pregnant, my work contract ended so I signed on and shortly afterwards went on maternity benefit. Now I'm getting dole again, occasionally signing off when I get offered (very short) contract work (about 2 weeks at a time). I'm at home full time with my son (12 months now) and genuinely looking for work, although realistically we'll need to move to the city for me to get a real job. I love being at home with my boy, but love work too. I am not house proud, can barely keep the floors clean and don't iron. I like cooking, do loads of DIY/garden related stuff, but honestly, don't much love the 'stay-at-home' part of being a stay at home parent. Once I've enough done around the house to not be labelled a slob and to keep husband happy, me and junior are out of the house or on the road.

So at what point do I stop being unemployed and start being a stay at home parent? Is it a matter of being in receipt of dole, or is it more of a philosophical difference? If I make the switch in my head to being a SAHP, do I need to start baking cupcakes and wearing skirts? How did you adapt to the transformation, or have you tried to avoid it?

Insights please!
    Hi there. I was reading your post and I am in a very similar situation (at home with kids). I have been doing a significant amount of research on potentially working from home so that I could work on my own schedule. I have found a few but I'm a little skeptical. Has anyone found any good home-based working opportunities?

Advertisement