Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need to stay awake for 4 days. How?

• 20-08-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've left a few college projects on the proverbial long-finger and now find myself in the sticky situation of having to sit one exam on Monday and needing to submit two 36 page projects for Thursday. I also need to teach myself the subjects in this time.

I figure that the only way I can manage this is to have a few sleepless nights. I'm going out on Monday, after my exam so figure I can drift off for a few hours when I come back in and wake up early to make some headway on the projects.

How do I best go about this? Should I binge on coffee or red bull, or should I eat in any particular way? The projects don't have to be particularly well done, just meet some minimum criteria so some zombification will be okay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ladies and gentlemen, the future of this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

first of all - don't go out monday night - after that god knows - make sure you have someone to wake you or else you will sleep for hours and miss your exams altogether - don't rely on an alarm clock if you nod off for a short nap

just make sur there's someone there to poke ya to wake you whenever you fall asleep basically....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Head off to Guantanamo Bay and I'm sure they'll keep you awake for days

AdMMM wrote: »
    having to sit one exam on Monday and needing to submit two 36 page projects for Thursday. I also need to teach myself the subjects in this time.

I'm going out on Monday, .

I'm glad you have your priorities in order :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Drink 12 cups of coffee, 12 cans of red bull each hour of each day that will keep you buzzing for 4 days!

Don't go out on monday night.

Go to bed early the night before your exam. Set about three alarm clocks you be as bright rain the next day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I couldn't be arsed telling you now, I'll do it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm glad you have your priorities in order :rolleyes:
    I'm certainly aware that my priorities are askew. Am fully aware that I should not go out on Monday but it's difficult to escape from the clutches of alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've left a few college projects on the proverbial long-finger and now find myself in the sticky situation of having to sit one exam on Monday and needing to submit two 36 page projects for Thursday. I also need to teach myself the subjects in this time.

I figure that the only way I can manage this is to have a few sleepless nights. I'm going out on Monday, after my exam so figure I can drift off for a few hours when I come back in and wake up early to make some headway on the projects.

How do I best go about this? Should I binge on coffee or red bull, or should I eat in any particular way? The projects don't have to be particularly well done, just meet some minimum criteria so some zombification will be okay.

This may sound harsh, and perhaps it is....but you deserve to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Right, here's how: First, go down to your local Head Shop. . . . ah bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'm certainly aware that my priorities are askew. Am fully aware that I should not go out on Monday but it's difficult to escape from the clutches of alcohol.

do you actully want to pass, if so, DONT GO OUT MONDAY NIGHT!!!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm kinda hoping you fail tbh, so eat lots of cereals and chips or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

You'll have plenty of nights to go out after your exam/projects,stay in Monday night you wally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Buy 500 cans of Red Bull, as you suggested, and demolish them.

Steadily of course.

Edit: Oh yes, and a heaping pile of cocaine.

Look either get off boards and stop going out or just fail. Ok?
    Christ

You might be physically awake but your brain won't be by a certain hour of the night and you won't absorb a thing! You're brain will become drunk and you and your brain will not function. If you have a good short term memory you are good to go! Just be careful of not running the risk of sleeping in the morning of your exam.

Start off with the project stuff and then start studying the tough and difficult material, then the material you don't like and then get right into the material you like and last but not least the material you are good at!

Practice writing stuff down and memorise it until you can do it with with your eyes closed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Let us know how this turns out.

Let us know how this turns out.

Thats if the OP is awake or not in A&E following a caffine OD.

Best to study first before going head in with the projects in greater detail but do make a start with the projects before the study. Focus on the study more for the weekend though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Stick some nettles in your ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Its difficult to escape from the clutches of alcohol.

It really isn't, i'm doing it right now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

You might be physically awake but your brain won't be by a certain hour of the night and you won't absorb a thing! You're brain will become drunk and you and your brain will not function.

I second that, I had to write out lessons on an RDF pots course, Had 5 to do for the morning. By 2'clock I had 2 done but was so tired that I had compleatly lost the ability to read. Had to start again every 3 or 4 words because my brain kept switching off.
    Had to give up and go to bed in the end and take the punishment in the morning.

Moral of the story don't leave things till the last minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Superbus wrote: »
    Buy 500 cans of Red Bull, as you suggested, and demolish them.

Steadily of course.

Edit: Oh yes, and a heaping pile of cocaine.

It might induce a heart attack, but hey if you live, it might earn you an extension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time for study..

when you're repeating next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I would give up on the notion of staying awake for the whole time. Just accept that you are going to have to get some sleep.

another question you have to ask yourself is, why is the OP on an internet forum talking about this, when he's already concerned about not having enough time.

attention seeking/trolling me thinks.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Drink 12 cups of coffee, 12 cans of red bull each hour of each day that will keep you buzzing for 4 days!

Don't go out on monday night.

Go to bed early the night before your exam. Set about three alarm clocks you be as bright rain the next day!
    You might be physically awake but your brain won't be by a certain hour of the night and you won't absorb a thing! You're brain will become drunk and you and your brain will not function. If you have a good short term memory you are good to go! Just be careful of not running the risk of sleeping in the morning of your exam.

Start off with the project stuff and then start studying the tough and difficult material, then the material you don't like and then get right into the material you like and last but not least the material you are good at!

Practice writing stuff down and memorise it until you can do it with with your eyes closed!
    Best to study first before going head in with the projects in greater detail but do make a start with the projects before the study. Focus on the study more for the weekend though.
    Moral of the story don't leave things till the last minute!

You do realise there's not a limit to how many words you can put in the one post? :confused:

alwaysadub wrote: »
    You do realise there's not a limit to how many words you can put in the one post? :confused:

either that or snuggles has done this before

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Maybe each post is an incentive for him to stay awake... or fall asleep

Sorry snuggles :p

• Advertisement

I did not know that. Just once I get the ball rolling I can't stop once things start coming into my head.
    irish-stew wrote: »
    either that or snuggles has done this before

;)

Done what before? I haven't ever pull an all nighter! I always study well in advance. Could stay up late to tie up a bit of study alright but always had to go to bed! I wouldn't last and wouldn't be able to do an exam the next day. I just have known a lot of people who has been in OP's situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

OP do NOT go out on Monday after your exam, obviously! I've left things till the last minute before but that is just plain stupid.

You are not going to stay awake for 4 days! You can do an all-nighter before your exam on Monday if you need it but you should probably rest after the exam for a bit and then get stuck into your project work. I've done all nighters a few times, personally they do help me as I'd rather be working right up until I go into an exam to remember things better. Energy drinks will help you stay up but they wont give you any magical powers. Being realistic you are most likely going to get more work done if you get your rest in-between, obviously you will be skimping on this but staying up straight for that long is not going to help you.

The only way to do it is just do it and don't be fooling yourself with sourcing magical exam strategies.

Good luck to ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm going out on Monday...

Hey there's a plan. Get completely wasted and then you wont give a sh*t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

You could of prepared for it at the start, laid out what you were going to do and then do it and be on time to pin point percision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

OP...what you need for this perfectlably achievable task is
    1. feck redbull...a couple litres of Mountain dew will get ya started.
    2. get yourself a divorce....thatll keep ya awake for months
    3. if you cant achieve "2"..get your self bankrupt. it will have the same effect.
    4. Ignore the hallucinations and convultions...theyll pass.
    5. get yourself a tight fitting pair of waterproof underwear.
    6. an ice machine
    7. Tony Blairs memoirs
    donr forget to tell us how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

You know when you think you're absolutely screwed because you have so much work to get done in a short space of time and then you come across somebody who is far more ****ed than you? This is one of those times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

speed......by that I mean rent the movie speed and procrastinate some more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

I spent six years in college and never done an all nighter. I think staying awake for 4 days is pointless and counter productive.

Instead of looking for ways to stay awake for 4 days maybe there is someone on boards that can help ye out, what are the projects on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

You didint say what the project was about. If it's a political project...do NOT worry.... you are doing just fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

Hey OP are you doing the repeats by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

KeithAFC wrote: »
    You could of prepared for it at the start, laid out what you were going to do and then do it and be on time to pin point percision.

Do not think like this for sure!
    Ye you've messed up, no point thinking about it now or no point trying to make yourself forget that by going out drinking.

Maybe you should consider cutting your losses OP, you have time before Mondays exam, concentrate on that for now. But 2 36-page projects sounds a feck load to do between Tuesday and Thursday, I can't tell you what to do or not but if it was me I'd be considering cutting one of them. Sometimes you can have so much work to do that you get nothing done if you try and do all of it, there's no point kidding yourself in these situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Hey OP are you doing the repeats by any chance?

He will be next year! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

College exams and assignments in August? Have you failed the Summer exams and you're repeating them now? If so you need to cop on man.

Not sleeping is about the worst thing you could do. Drinking energy drinks isn't much better. You'll just have to work hard for a change! Get up early, go to bed when your brain stops working.

Don't go out on Monday.

Mainly just cop on ya luder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Just pay for a paper off the net. Go out Monday too. Sorted;)

http://www.directessays.com/

or here

http://www.abcpapers.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

Just pay for a paper off the net. Go out Monday too. Sorted;)

http://www.directessays.com/

or here

http://www.abcpapers.com/

Just done a search for my thesis topic no luck :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

First things first, have a coffee.

Have something to eat too maybe..........CAFFIENATED COOKIES

Then maybe have a shower? WITH CAFFEINE SOAP

Then make sure your breath is fresh....WITH CAFFEINATED BREATH SPRAY

And enjoy a caffiene lollipop while you ace your test on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Get other people to do your projects for you or get deferrals. Two 36 page projects in four days, not a chance. Cheating is only bad if you get caught.

OP what have you been doing all summer? Better yet what have you been doing all year that it has come to this situation?

Best of luck OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Drugs.....then more drugs.

And then a few drugs. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Pray for a snow storm so you have more time to study

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Stink on the inside

The coffee will stop working after a day or so...and any level of intelligence will shut down temporarily.

Dont go out..

Try have a 'look' at your mates projects to speed up completion of your own ones. Dont copy them...

Try get some sleep each night..

you could also try get an extension.

either way im well interested how this will fare out,

keep us all posted..

• Advertisement
Advertisement