Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

motor tax

• 20-08-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Why should i have to pay tax for both my bikes if i can only drive one at any one time ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Lucky to have 2 bikes........why should I pay for 2 pints when I can only drink 1 at a time?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Darith wrote: »
    Why should i have to pay tax for both my bikes if i can only drive one at any one time ?

why do you put petrol in both if you can only drive one at a time?

Did you bother to think about this for even one second before complaining about it?

The real answer is because (as you correctly state) it's a motor tax - i.e. a tax on owning a motor. It is not a tax on driving said motor.

I own two bikes, a car but I cycle to work many days, I'm fairly sure I'm "owed" a lot more in unused taxes than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Darith

Why shouldn't i put petrol in both tanks, afterall when i buy petrol i pay tax for it as well. And yes i did think before posting this. But then this a free country so i will post what i want. Why should i pay a tax for owning a motor when either me or the previous owner paid VRT. I don't mind paying tax for using the road ! What in gods name does " I'm fairly sure I'm "owed" a lot more in unused taxes than you " supposed to mean SIR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Because of successive years people in this country were let believe that their tax's were going down with each government. And each government dropped income tax, raised tax brackets and then recovered the lost revenue in indirect tax's. Import dutys, tax's on ownership, plastic bags, toll roads, electronics soon water etc..

The real question is, what sort of tightwad gives out about 75 quid a year to own a vehicle when car tax can be 1.5 to 2.5k a year for similar performance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Why shouldn't i put petrol in both tanks, afterall when i buy petrol i pay tax for it as well.

In that case it shouldn't be a leap too far to figure out why you should pay annual motor tax on both your bikes if you are going to be making use of both.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Personally I'd like to see motor tax abolished in place of a few cent extra on every litre of fuel, the more you use the more tax you pay, simples.

That's far too sensible a solution for this government though.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Personally I'd like to see motor tax abolished in place of a few cent extra on every litre of fuel, the more you use the more tax you pay, simples.

Spot on KamiKazi.........it works in other countries, but the government here wouldn't want to see us driving around in cars that we want to drive around in.......I would get a big engined car tomorrow, (sod the carbon emissions and higher m.p.g.) but do not because of the scandalous price of road tax.......as for bikes......it aint that bad but still over the top for a govt that says they are trying to bring down carbon emissions.........I dont see them driving around in micras or paying road tax on their ministerial big-engined cars! big fat pigs the lot of them!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

:p

Thats bo**ox....why should i have to pay extra for petrol for my lawnmower, strimmer, chainsaw etc...

just pay up and ans shut up....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You pay motor tax on the vehicles you own. 2 vehicles means tax on each one. It's not a driving tax. Why is this even a thread!
    It would be a better question if you asked why pay 3rd party insurance on each bike when you can only drive one.

My oh my........bo--ox, why is this a thread...........there's some angry people out there:P

• Advertisement

Sids Not wrote: »

Thats bo**ox....why should i have to pay extra for petrol for my lawnmower, strimmer, chainsaw etc...

Ever heard of green diesel? Obviously there'd be a similar type of petrol.

But yea, let's all just shut up and pay whatever the government want us to :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

because because because..

You can have two bikes in your name, and have the second one.. or both insured to different people.

You could in theory have both on the road at the same time if someone else rode your bike.

Its the law

Its the same amount for someone who rides a bike 1 day a year and someone who rides 365 days a year.

.. the list goes on..

What do you own?.........a country estate:)

furerer wrote: »
    What do you own?.........a country estate:)

No smart arse...It was my head-gardener who brought this to my attention..one of the hired hands has a motor-bicycle thingy .:D...

No smart arse...It was my head-gardener who brought this to my attention..one of the hired hands has a motor-bicycle thingy .:D...

Smart arse I might be, but at least I dont have to resort to personal attacks to a fellow boarder to try and prove my point........shows a lack of intelligence......and respect :D

Smart arse I might be, but at least I dont have to resort to personal attacks to a fellow boarder to try and prove my point........shows a lack of intelligence......and respect :D

I resent your flounderings young man and shall send my butler henceforth to give your hide a good spanking....:D

I resent your flounderings young man and shall send my butler henceforth to give your hide a good spanking....:D

If he's riding your head gardeners bicycle thingy better tell him to wear a crash helmet as the dogs will soon remove him from it..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Wierd - I thought thats why we were all here.

You have to pay tax because you are a taxpayer. I keep both bikes taxed and pay as little tax as possible on my 2.5L Subaru which sits idle from April to October. Now the govmt wants me to pay tax on a car that sits in my garden for most of the year and it can go sh1te, I'll burn it first.

€76 isn't such a big deal now is it?

'cptr

'cptr

It's not the amount, it's the principle.

'kkzi

It's not the amount, it's the principle.

'kkzi

OMG............:rolleyes:

If you can afford to run 2 bikes ,you can cough up €76.....If you're only using one bike at a time ,why dont you empty the other tank and get a refund from the petrol station too.........:p

• Advertisement

Wierd - I thought thats why we were all here.

You have to pay tax because you are a taxpayer. I keep both bikes taxed and pay as little tax as possible on my 2.5L Subaru which sits idle from April to October. Now the govmt wants me to pay tax on a car that sits in my garden for most of the year and it can go sh1te, I'll burn it first.

'cptr

You've just discovered the reason why large capacity engines are no longer wanted........how much is the road tax on that? 1200 a year? I suspect that's why it sits in your front garden. Best burn it as you say cos you'll never sell it! As you so perfectly state "you have to pay tax because you are a taxpayer".........what's that statement got to do with paying road tax......plenty of unemployed paying r.t. but do not pay taxes. How many cars on the road with foreign regs? there is even a concession for foreigners that live and work here.........they can use their own foreign vehicle and pay no r.t.......this comes from the customs office, official. So next time anyone wants to tell another that r.t. has to be paid......phone customs and tell them to get their asses out and collect foreign cars.......not forgetting that some countries do not require insurance......so what's the chances that not only are they driving with not having to pay r.t. but also without insurance.
    Road tax in this country is a joke.......and...........while I'm on a roller........how many govt. officials, inc. councillors are claiming their road tax back as expenses.......because we, joe public, cannot.
    VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

and pay as little tax as possible on my 2.5L Subaru which sits idle from April to October.

So, a fair weather biker then. :eek:

'P.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

P.C. wrote: »
    So, a fair weather biker then. :eek:

'P.C.

No, I think you would call him a fair weather driver... read His post....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

martyboy48 wrote: »
    No, I think you would call him a fair weather driver... read His post....:)

Correction Fail !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

But then this a free country so i will post what i want.

It's not a free boards... You're a guest on this site, you've been given privilages to have your opinion expressed, you have no right to be here, just allowances.

Xios wrote: »
    It's not a free boards... You're a guest on this site, you've been given privilages to have your opinion expressed, you have no right to be here, just allowances.

Your first post on this thread..Great imput there mate........really helpful....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The real question is, what sort of tightwad gives out about 75 quid a year to own a vehicle when car tax can be 1.5 to 2.5k a year for similar performance?

...because when my neighbour can buy a new (in '09, btw..) BMW 3-series, and tax it for €104/whatever, then the motorcycle rate is a complete rip-off.

He also gets to tax it for 3 months, if he wants to, for only €29. The argument about small tax bills not worth divvy-ing up no longer holds water, at those prices. Who wouldn't tax their bike for the summer, if that's all they used it for ?

There was a time when motorcycles were on a flat rate (trying, but failing to remember when, though.......), and it should go back to this.

I think considering the beneficial effect using a 'bike brings to our roads and cities generally, through reduced traffic congestion, reduced parking requirements, lack of (and I do mean 'none') wear and tear on the roads, reduced emissions due to shorter travel times, then motorcycles should be more appropriately rated, and I'm thinking a nominal €20/€25 p.a..

This would also serve to: increase level of tax compliance for bikes ('cos it's dire...), and to more accurately prove to the authorities the size of the population, and so show their merits (as above). Remember, you could park 4 bikes in one carpark space, so that means 3 solo-driven cars less, on a given day.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Motor tax........what's that ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Pique wrote: »
    Correction Fail !! :)

True, i've been rumbled:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 NitroHead91

Thats all well and good for car drivers....But it would cost more for us bikers in the long run as an extra few cent on petrol will end up costing more than €75 a year on motor tax

Advertisement