Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usually swim but trying bodyboarding tomorrow

Options
  • 20-08-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I just got a wetsuit so I can swim all year round. I go to the beach in Rush Co.Dublin, I know I won't get what you guys consider waves but its quiet and does throw up a few surprises - perfect place to learn to bodyboard I think!

I'd like to hear from people about there first experiences bodyboarding / surfing and how they did on their first day. How long did ye have to persevere before that first proper wave (which I hear is amazing)?

Will it be possible to practice my technique even if there is very little wave action? Basically I know I have to be comfortable paddling and using my arms on the board but we went in the day we got the wetsuits - it was like lake ****ing placid by the way - and I just couldn't control it at all, but that was before I even looked up the techniques.

Also, I assume with a bodyboard you don't have to go out as far as a surfer would? They are smaller and ye don't have to stand up so I thought ye can catch much smaller waves and make something out of em.

[Craig David] Can you fill me iiiiin? [/Craig David]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Bodyboarding is huge fun :) Not as good as surfing but still huge fun! Have a look on youtube for bodyboarding vids. There's a load of tutorials on there about it.
    You are wrong about them not going out as far as surfers... Guys on bodyboards can take any wave that a surfer can take and possibly do more tricks on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Started out bodyboarding but moved to surfing - its fun. To get good waves you really need to go to the west coast but you'll still get the odd day on the east coast if the wind is coming from the south. White rocks just to the north of killiney is good sometimes, right kind of wave for BB and you can get the dart if you have no car.

Advertisement