Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Black Flies

Options
  • 20-08-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭

What is with all the black flies around recently, just in the last two days. I saw a post about the flying ants but tis gone. I do not think they are ants, they are small flies but they are everywhere. I called out home home there and my mums flowers in the garden were covered in them yuck...I thought perhaps they were gall flies but nope

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Milly33 wrote: »
    What is with all the black flies around recently, just in the last two days. I saw a post about the flying ants but tis gone. I do not think they are ants, they are small flies but they are everywhere. I called out home home there and my mums flowers in the garden were covered in them yuck...I thought perhaps they were gall flies but nope

Yeah in work tonight they're must have been around 50 on a wrapped pallet and a good few on the bins too

had a few on the windscreen too

kept landing on my arm as well, very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Lots of those little buggers around today alright. Must be their turn for their nuptial fight (or whatever it is called) today. hundreds of them flying around "doing it". The ants had their turn a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Looks very much like them alright.

I just read that the females bite haha strange for a female, but nothing major not like mossies the little feckers I am destroyed with bites from them. Thats probably why they land on you nasty asses, only live for a bit so hopefully they will be gone soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

One of the lads in work today swatted one off his arm and the wind blew it staright into his mouth :)

suppose that's what you get for interfering with nature

I googled St. Marks fly and this page popped up

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/flies%20p1.html

looks more like the Fever Fly - which they say thankfully doesn't cause any sort of fever

First time any year I can remember these things flying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

these flies are everywhere! i came back to the car today and there was about 20 of them sitting on the winscreen and more on the roof and boot!
    i dont think they cause any harm but they are feckin annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

Ah lads here in East cork where I am there are hundreds of the ****ers! I have a Bay tree in my garden and it is literally covered in them. Making my skin crawl even thinking about them! There are a few cobwebs in the back garden and they are all stuck in them.. disgusting.. do you think they could be anything to do with that Cobweb in Ballintotis? freaky if it was

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I was down in Garryvoe last week.
    I parked the car and in tes seconds there were about a hundred of them flies on my windscreen!
    A quick blast of the windscreen washer sorted them :P, but we only stayed around the beach for a short while because there were so many around....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

they hatch on the seaweed that washes up this time of year. the beaches are riddled with them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

All over Dungarvan, Co. Waterford as well. Not just Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

they seem to be all over the place, not just near beaches. I washed car earlier and when I came back outside there were hundreds stuck to the bonnet and windscreen and I hadnt seen any a few minutes beforehand:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

They're everywhere!

Is it just me or do most of them seem lik they are just sitting there, dieing?
    I found 4 dead ones on my window sill today!

Went to super value earlier, 100's of them by the bin and on a tree next to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Can't say I've seen any yet! What's the fascination with them sitting on windscreens and windows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

My head has been wrecked with them for over a week now. My car is always covered with them, I usually park my car under a tree - I moved it yesterday and have no flies on the car since then.

Jes their everywhere little buggers...found loads dead today in work too, thank god they seem to have chillaxed a little not so many around here now

Advertisement