Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to this sport - Some Help

Options
  • 20-08-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,

Hope someone can help. I am new to this sport and would like to take in up. I have friends in this sport but all live far away.

I live in the Terenure area of Dublin and am looking at getting a .22 rifle.

Some questions:-

How easy it in my Garda area to get a gun licence?

What clubs are in the area?

PS. I am in my late 30's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

What type of shooting you looking to do?
    If its just targets i know courtlough in ballbriggan have a 22 range.

If its vermin/bunny bashing do you know any landowners (2) that would be willing to give you permission?

Im not sure of any clubs in that area try the www.nargc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Hilltop Shooting Club in Newtownmountkennedy might be your best bet for general exposure to shooting sports and proximity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

defib wrote: »
    Hi,

Hope someone can help. I am new to this sport and would like to take in up. I have friends in this sport but all live far away.

I live in the Terenure area of Dublin and am looking at getting a .22 rifle.

Some questions:-

How easy it in my Garda area to get a gun licence?

What clubs are in the area?

PS. I am in my late 30's

Is it Club/Comp shooting only? Or would you consider hunting?

Have you got any family friends with farmland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

My licences are issued by Terenure Garda Station.....never any problems....sound to deal with! Saying that you will need all the proper paperwork, a reason for having the gun, club / land to shoot on etc.

As mentioned above Courtlough & Hilltop are the nearest for target shooting. Have you shot before?....if not why not go to one of these - they will supply a gun if required and you can try it to see if you like it for very little outlay.

Dublin is very difficult to get into a club....if you are interested in hunting.

As you'll appreciate Dublin is very built up with little or no shooting land available. Most lads I know in Dublin who shoot are in clubs in Meath, Wicklow or Kildare...or North county Dublin which is not as built up.

I'm in a club in Kildare for the last 22 years. They are only accepting applications from locals for the past few years as there's a long list of applicants. We cannot bring a friend / visitor / family member out with us shooting. (Reason is they wouldn't have NARGC club membership, insisted upon by landowners).

To try to join one of these clubs would be very difficult as many have lost lots of land due to motorways going through club lands. Also, land adjacent to motorways & main roads cannot be shot as a safety measure. Most are now restricted to local applications only.

Some in Dublin have tried to get a gun licence for home protection (not allowed) so any applicant must provide proof of a need for the gun.

It will be practically impossible to get a .22LR rifle licence in Dublin city if you don't have:

1. Membership of a Gun Club

or

2. Membership of a target shooting club

or

3. Permission of two landowners to shoot on their land

....you will have to provide a good, valid reason for needing the gun, which will be checked out.

Sorry to burst your bubble but these are the facts!

How far away are your friends?....could you not travel on weekends.....go shooting with them...after a while when known you could apply to join their club / get permission of two landowners down there.........I think this is your only option at present if it's hunting you're interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Thanks for the replies.

I have been shooting in the midlands but friends club is only open to locals.

I don't know any farmers.

I was hoping at doing both targets and hunting, didn't know there is a difference.

Are there any clubs that do both?

Any help would be great.

• Advertisement

J.R. wrote: »
    My licences are issued by Terenure Garda Station.....never any problems....sound to deal with! Saying that you will need all the proper paperwork, a reason for having the gun, club / land to shoot on etc.

As mentioned above Courtlough & Hilltop are the nearest for target shooting. Have you shot before?....if not why not go to one of these - they will supply a gun if required and you can try it to see if you like it for very little outlay.

Dublin is very difficult to get into a club....if you are interested in hunting.

As you'll appreciate Dublin is very built up with little or no shooting land available. Most lads I know in Dublin who shoot are in clubs in Meath, Wicklow or Kildare...or North county Dublin which is not as built up.

I'm in a club in Kildare for the last 22 years. They are only accepting applications from locals for the past few years as there's a long list of applicants. We cannot bring a friend / visitor / family member out with us shooting. (Reason is they wouldn't have NARGC club membership, insisted upon by landowners).

To try to join one of these clubs would be very difficult as many have lost lots of land due to motorways going through club lands. Also, land adjacent to motorways & main roads cannot be shot as a safety measure. Most are now restricted to local applications only.

Some in Dublin have tried to get a gun licence for home protection (not allowed) so any applicant must provide proof of a need for the gun.

It will be practically impossible to get a .22LR rifle licence in Dublin city if you don't have:

1. Membership of a Gun Club

or

2. Membership of a target shooting club

or

3. Permission of two landowners to shoot on their land

....you will have to provide a good, valid reason for needing the gun, which will be checked out.

Sorry to burst your bubble but these are the facts!

How far away are your friends?....could you not travel on weekends.....go shooting with them...after a while when known you could apply to join their club / get permission of two landowners down there.........I think this is your only option at present if it's hunting you're interested in.

How long did it take for your licences in Terenure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

defib wrote: »
    How long did it take for your licences in Terenure?

3 weeks.............3 gun licences...2 shotguns & 1 rifle.............but these were renewals not new applications. I've had the three gun licences for 32 years!!!!

Thanks for all your help.

So here is an update….

-I joined a club (Courthlough) and did the training course.

-Paid a deposit on my rifle (Duffy’s in Galway)

-Went to Terenure and handed in the application form 16th September.

-I was asked to write in a second letter why I needed a moderator/suppressor – working in Health & Safety then was an easy one.

-Spoke to Terenure again on the 22nd September to make sure they got second letter.

-Letter dated 24th September stating that application received.

-Letter dated 26th September Firearm Certificate Grant Notice Letter.

Big thank you to Terenure Garda Station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

wow fair play they got that sorted for ya in no time!! Enjoy your new pastime:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Best of luck and safe shooting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement