Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellfire club 20/8/2010

Options
  • 20-08-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

From my home in knocklyon i can see lights at the hellfire club. Any one any idea what it is? Binoculars reveal lighting mast and cherry pickers - a film crew perhaps? |Or has Satan returned with his unionised roadsters?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Waestrel wrote: »
    From my home in knocklyon i can see lights at the hellfire club. Any one any idea what it is? Binoculars reveal lighting mast and cherry pickers - a film crew perhaps? |Or has Satan returned with his unionised roadsters?

As far as I know there used to be raves in the 90s up there and from what I've heard the same people have put sth on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

Seems very organised for a rave. Can pillheads organise a gen set and lighting rig?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm a bit closer, there seems to be a couple of tents set up, a lot of people around, candles/flame lamps in the windows as well as the lighting rig. I'd say someone's filming something alright.

I'm about 1km away from the summit, had to use a video camera to zoom in and get any kind of a decent look, still not good enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Someone investigate :D

No way I'm walking up the mountain at 11.30pm :D

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    As far as I know there used to be raves in the 90s up there and from what I've heard the same people have put sth on tonight.

They did loads of them.:D

seamus wrote: »
    No way I'm walking up the mountain at 11.30pm :D

Did you just admit as a man you are scared :D Or does the superstition actually hold :P

p.s have you not got a big monster dog living up there lol and been the mod of pets forum.

No, I might trip in the dark ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Just last week I could see the place lit up from Knocklyon, thought it was a massive campfire or something, but it might be related to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

ye seen that myself earlier, what looked like two tall floodlights, i assumed there was some filming going on or something.

• Advertisement

No, I might trip in the dark ;)

Ah i would if i was closer :(

I went up and checked, turns out they are shooting the tv series "Camelot" there tonight. They are there again tomorrow. 6 until 12 midnight.

Waestrel wrote: »
    I went up and checked, turns out they are shooting the tv series "Camelot" there tonight. They are there again tomorrow. 6 until 12 midnight.

Did you get up close or blocking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I dug a little deeper myself and yes the same crowd did have sth on but it was last week and in Georges street :D
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/hellfire-club-events/266475650937

Woddle wrote: »
    I dug a little deeper myself and yes the same crowd did have sth on but it was last week and in Georges street :D
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/hellfire-club-events/266475650937

what a shower of shams

I might head up there tomorrow, its a big operation, plenty of security and big trucks with generators etc. Bring a torch, its dark up there.

Yep, definitely Camelot - a new American series being shot here mainly in Ardmore. Along the same vein as the Tudors, but set 700 or 800 years earlier.

If it's popular, they'll probably end up using the Hellfire every so often I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

:cool:

Yep, definitely Camelot - a new American series being shot here mainly in Ardmore. Along the same vein as the Tudors, but set 700 or 800 years earlier.

If it's popular, they'll probably end up using the Hellfire every so often I guess.

Have you been inside lately,they could start with keeping it clean and stick cameras in for graffiti and defacing it with pee etc.. .

RichieC wrote: »
    :cool:

Whats the picture of?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

caseyann wrote: »
    Have you been inside lately,they could start with keeping it clean and stick cameras in for graffiti and defacing it with pee etc.. .

Who would stop the drug addicts from pulling the cameras down? Who would pay for all that? Its been destroyed inside since God knows when. There are two realistic options. Leave it as it is or tear it down.

• Advertisement

Riamfada wrote: »
    Who would stop the drug addicts from pulling the cameras down? Who would pay for all that? Its been destroyed inside since God knows when. There are two realistic options. Leave it as it is or tear it down.
    And you are the Mod of archeology :confused:
    No they could fence it off, leave open during day for people to go in and then shut it off at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Unrealistic to be honest. A fence is easy to climb, or even tear down, apart from that, somebody going up every morning and afternoon to close a gate?

Nah, unfortunately it will continue to be defaced/destroyed.

Whats the picture of?

It's the hell fire club in Camelot the TV series.

RichieC wrote: »
    It's the hell fire club in Camelot the TV series.

Did you take it yourself? They must have cleaned it up for the series.
    Would be great if the drinkers and the people who pee all over the place would stay away,and have some respect for our historical landmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Would be great if the drinkers and the people who pee all over the place would stay away,and have some respect for our historical landmarks.

While the area is quite beautiful I don't really think the Hellfire Club is of major historical significance. Many of the great old houses of the gentry have been let to crumble back into nature but this was not one of them.

My understanding of the place it was simply a holiday home for a bunch of rich toffs to get hammered and gamble and act like rich gents and dabble in the occult a little (which was quite in vogue at the time).

Unfortunately it is easily accessible so you get a lot of late night activity going on.

Its popular enough with walkers but not really a tourist destination. The money would definitely be better spent elsewhere on improving other historical places that have been let fall into a bad state.

Yeah but I live in the real world. What exactly is the historical significance of the Hell Fire club that would warrant hundreds of thousands of euro worth of investment and security?

And you are the Mod of archeology

Contrary to popular belief, not all archaeologists are sandal wearing moon maidens who picket anyone who touches anything more than 15 years old.

Dig it up, record it and learn from it. Then build whatever you want on it. Thats my motto.

It's a screen cap from the show :)

Advertisement