Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which phone should I buy?

Options
  • 20-08-2010 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

At the mo, I have narrowed down to 4 phones and can't decide which would be best- I don't really need it for internet browsing. Would use texting, calendar, organiser and alarm a lot.

HTC Smart
    LG Cookie Fresh GS290
    LG GM360 Viewtysnap
    Nokia 5230

If anyone has any opinion on any of these and which is the better phone I would really appreciate it-thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

well my choice would be the HTC Smart...it runs on android and its pretty function...has a decent calendar and organizer + alarm clock as well as being a bit more stylish than the others (in my opinion)...for texting it should have qwerty,mini qwerty,and phone keypad style keyboard as it comes with HTC Sense...

i dont have any personal experience with it but i know HTC phones come with quality and performance...

what i do know LG have been quite disappointing for quite a while in the smartphone market for some years now...

and for the nokia...my gf has it...its slow as hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

good point :) cheap phones with cheap touchscreens could leave you to regretting you ever went near one...where as decent ones makes your experience better..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Note that the Smart does not run Android but rather "Brew", which is a sort of cut-down Linux OS created by Qualcomm. It will not have any application store. It does run Sense (HTC's User Interface) though which is why it will look like it's running Android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

I kinda have the same question guys but my 3 options are

Iphone 3gs
    Samsung Wave
    Htc Legend

• Advertisement

depends on your needs? do you prefer something simple or something more customizable...

do you need it for simple things or internet use...more info would help us to help you

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

well my choice would be the HTC Smart...it runs on android and its pretty function...has a decent calendar and organizer + alarm clock as well as being a bit more stylish than the others (in my opinion)...for texting it should have qwerty,mini qwerty,and phone keypad style keyboard as it comes with HTC Sense...

i dont have any personal experience with it but i know HTC phones come with quality and performance...

what i do know LG have been quite disappointing for quite a while in the smartphone market for some years now...

and for the nokia...my gf has it...its slow as hell...

The HTC Smart doesn't run android it runs the brew operating system. Check the user the reviews on it. i read somewhere before that it lacks some very basic features but I can't recall where. Plus the reviews state it as an alright phone not to great. I would stay the hell away from any LG product on the market. Every Lg product i've had from tv's to phones has been a nightmare. Tbh I would go with the Nokia since they are quite reliable phones and its the only one to come with GPS and free navigation for life which is an amazing bonus :D

well i know it lacks certain features but you get what you pay for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

Lol well with the nokia 5230 you pay less and get more. eg ( higher screen resolution, faster processor, gps etc.
    Unless the camera is more important :P

• Advertisement

well my gf has that nokia and some trouble.some phone...freezing all the time...

i did update it...

but its just slow...screen isnt great either

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Thanks for all the feedback- I got a HTC Smart after all!Happy out playing with it at the mo.

feel free to post cons and pros here :) would like to know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's crap!!!

Well mine is anyway!

The o2 social link DOES NOT work on the Smart, despite claims from o2 that it does.
    It's very unresponsive, if it's updating the friend stream it can be slow.
    It won't play my SMS notfication tone no matter what I change it to.
    Typing can be slow.
    Battery life is CRAP, despite giving my phone a full charge last night and hardly going near it all day today I am back down to amber all ready (I sent maybe, ten texts today? went on friend stream once and didn't go near camera. Played one game of memory.).

Think I may bring it back to o2 tomorrow, very disappointing.

not trying to be mean but you get what you pay for...and wasnt the o2 facebook thingy a special o2 app that lets you access it? otherwise you will get charged

i know...but most low end cheap phones are like that...

o2 not supporting the facebook app of their own is their fault not really the phones is it?

give it some time to get used to the brew OS...you might find what your looking for in it...

not trying to be mean but you get what you pay for...and wasnt the o2 facebook thingy a special o2 app that lets you access it? otherwise you will get charged

Sorry, I'm not stupid, I knew I was buying a phone that was not an android phone and didn't want an android phone. I bought the smart because I had read some good reviews on it and it looked better than the Nokia 5230. O2 are using the HTC Smart to advertise the social link app on their website, they should at least get it working on the thing before they start doing that! I know I'm being charged for the friend stream, I'm not complaining about that, I'm complaining about the phone being slow while it's updating it. And no matter how much you pay for a phone it should NOT have a crap battery on it that lasts less than 24 hours.

• Advertisement

I was thinking the same myself! Knew I should have stuck with the Nokia's!

no im not disagreeing :)

no point sticking with a phone that will frustrate you everyday :)

after all most people keep the phone for about a year...that's alot of frustration

Brought it back, explained problems I was having, guy asked did I want a replacement, I said yes, he said which phone do you want, Nokia 5230, exchanged, result!

Advertisement