Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTTP callback ??

Options
  • 20-08-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if "HTTP Callback/Postback" is the correct term for what I want to do..

I'm developing an application where I would like a small new browser window to open to select a person from a list. I then want to be able to select that person and send the selected value to a form item in the parent (main) window.

What exactly is this process called and how is it achieved? Will I need javascript?

Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Yeah, achieving this is just a basic Javascript thing, nothing to do with HTTP posts or callbacks and the like.

Far as I recall, you can reference an "opener" document/object in your Javascript, which will refer to the window that created the current window. In your case, you can use that in your child window to reference controls on your parent (main) page, and pass data into them. A google for "Javascript child window to parent" or some such should turn up plenty of tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

You could also try something like thickbox \ jquery to do similar. It's not opening a new window but a form or similar in a in iframe popup. See the ajax examples here for details. In particular the Ajax content - Login Modal example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

You don't even need a window or a thickbox.

Just use jQuery to do a $.get.....it'll return the output of the script in a variable, and you can write that variable to an existing div on the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Three interesting approaches. I'll look into them all.

Cheers!

Advertisement