Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Microsoft Flight Simulator 2010 (New name called Microsoft Flight)

Options
  • 20-08-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Those of you still owning joysticks and jackets with elbow patches on them, today is your lucky day, because Microsoft just brought Flight SImulator back from the dead!

There’s a catch, though; it’s not called Flight Simulator anymore. It’s simply called Microsoft Flight, and while details on the game are thin on the ground (and even thinner in the air!)

Very few details about Microsoft Flight have been unveiled yet - even the official games page that the press release links to is currently down - but it seems as if Microsoft is trying to revolutionise the genre.

Microsoft Flight will bring a new perspective to the long-standing genre, welcoming everyone, including long-time fans, to experience the magic of flight," reads the PR spiel.

Microsoft has confirmed that MS Flight will be Windows exclusive game.

Here Is The Website: http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

And here is a Short Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbwdJeEWnn8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

From the dead?

I don't think it was dead man...

^watch that shit full screen HD with the volume up. PC gaming FT fkin W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dead because M$ announced in early 2009 that it wasn't making any more flight sims and let everyone in the studio go:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7902468.stm

Holy shizz , I see.

Hmmm wtf, if this is being announced now, theres a damn good chance this was being made back when that article came out. hmmmm wtf is with microsoft..

:confused:

I'd be a little fearful of a dumming down of the game.

Sisko wrote: »

I'd be a little fearful of a dumming down of the game.

Unfortunately, the very fact that they have dropped the "simulator" from the name suggests just that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sisko wrote: »
    From the dead?

I don't think it was dead man...

^watch that shit full screen HD with the volume up. PC gaming FT fkin W.

Need more complosions tbh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I seriously hope dropping simulator from the titles doesn't mean its getting casual.

I've been a dedicated enthusiast since the first. I used FSX as a great tool in completing my PPL.

Here's hoping it stays true to its roots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

In fairness, most people would've probably played it in the hope of firing off some missiles from fighter planes and when they realised there was a serious lack of anything like that, they'd end up just flying the jumbo jets and crashing them into buildings. Even that was a let down when your plane just virtually flew through the flats in Ballymun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

FSX made my computer cry, very very slowly. Think I'll just stick with FS2004 tbh

Nehaxak wrote: »
    In fairness, most people would've probably played it in the hope of firing off some missiles from fighter planes and when they realised there was a serious lack of anything like that, they'd end up just flying the jumbo jets and crashing them into buildings. Even that was a let down when your plane just virtually flew through the flats in Ballymun.

Ehhhh no? Most people would have read the title on the box and bought Lock On instead if they wanted to fire off some missiles from a fighter jet. Although if there was people buying Flight Simulator with the aim to fire off missiles from jets, those people probably would've given up trying long before they ever fired one off even if they indeed did buy the right sim for it (lock on).

Are you trying to say you bought Flight Simulator thinking it was a modern air combat game? :pac:

No, I was being flippant and just pointing out how utterly boring ms flight sim was - and even when you tried to make it interesting by crashing into buildings or whatever, it was still boring.
    Each to their own I guess, I'm sure there are people out there that found train sims interesting too.
    Realisic Sim racing and flight games will always be doomed to failure as once a player has got past the initial wow factor of their first few flights, train rides or laps - what else really is there for them to keep them interested ?
    Unless they're an anorak, in which case they're probably the player that goes on and on about how amazing it was to run 1500 laps around that same oval circuit in realtime as if they were really an F1 driver or the pilot who flew from Dublin to Moscow in a Zeppelin.
    Anorak games, niche markets, no future, waste of time.

Guns, bombs, explosions and lots of blood please !

• Advertisement

No, I was being flippant and just pointing out how utterly boring ms flight sim was - and even when you tried to make it interesting by crashing into buildings or whatever, it was still boring.
    Each to their own I guess, I'm sure there are people out there that found train sims interesting too.
    Realisic Sim racing and flight games will always be doomed to failure as once a player has got past the initial wow factor of their first few flights, train rides or laps - what else really is there for them to keep them interested ?
    Unless they're an anorak, in which case they're probably the player that goes on and on about how amazing it was to run 1500 laps around that same oval circuit in realtime as if they were really an F1 driver or the pilot who flew from Dublin to Moscow in a Zeppelin.

Guns, bombs, explosions and lots of blood please !

Hold on, FSX isn't a game, its a sim, its not even aimed at gamers. The flight sim market worldwide is absolutely huge. It might seem boring to You but millions of people use it for its realism, they train using it, pilots even use it to brush up on their skills.

Go play Hawx, its more in Your line, blowing up shít etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

And besides, Flight Simulator could be pretty exciting in it's own way at times. Not on the same level as Call of Duty etc, but there's lots of missions that you can play and make that are pretty cool. Like trying to land a bi-plan on an aircraft carrier during a storm, or having your engines cut out mid flight. It's a different type of action because instead of noe quick movement to save the day, you need to be able to think out far ahead of you, but all in a split second.

Plus, I got to crash conchord into my ex's house. It's very therapeutic!

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    millions of people use it for its realism, they train using it, pilots even use it to brush up on their skills.

Slight exaggeration there ? I might accept hundreds playing it but millions ? Unless you're getting the figure from Microsoft, who would simply not be a trustworthy source.

The game would have a lot more going for it if you could actually interact with the aircraft better and fire weapons, even if it was just inane destruction of cities, who cares, but at the moment the game is about as exciting as flying around in google maps - and about as realistic as that too, google maps is probably better tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

The Flight Simulator franchise has been in existence for 25 years, three years longer than windows itself and it reputed to be the longest running pc game series of all time. No future? I think not.
    Slight exaggeration there ? I might accept hundreds playing it but millions ? Unless you're getting the figure from Microsoft, who would simply not be a trustworthy source.

There are 300,000 registered members of Vatsim and IVAO alone (the two main online Air Traffic Control organisations) The vast majority of users of Flight Simulator are not registered, or fly using any of the ATC organisations. There are millions of Flight Simulator users worldwide.
    and about as realistic as that too, google maps is probably better tbh

See below for realism

If you are looking to blow stuff up this has been taken care of by LockOn and DCS, just to name two, both of which are excellent at what they do.

I dunno, maybe I just miss my Reaver/Mossy... :(

Advertisement