Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Built Computer Sites?

Options
  • 21-08-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I need a new computer for work, that is able to do some video editing, I'll be dealing with about 2 hours of HD video at a time so I'd need a good bit RAM,(About 8GB), Anyone know anywhere good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Hey Guys,

I need a new computer for work, that is able to do some video editing, I'll be dealing with about 2 hours of HD video at a time so I'd need a good bit RAM,(About 8GB), Anyone know anywhere good?
    Yep. What do you use now? A Dell or other OEM? Post specs plz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

We have an unused Dell Optilex 725, but I'm looking at buying a new one all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

Do you fancy having an SSD? Do you want RAID? Do you need BluRay? Is this machine supposed to be used solely for video editing or anything else?
    Oh, and what's your budget? :)

SSD Isn't required - 2x 1TB 7200 RPM Disks would be grand - BluRay RW would be very handy - with a budget in around €1200 Monitor isn't required.

Assuming that if you're working in an office you'd want something nice and quiet too?

• Advertisement

Well it wouldn't be necessary to be quiet as its getting a room of its own :P

Well it wouldn't be necessary to be quiet as its getting a room of its own :P
    Will you not be in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

still hardly need to be quiet. only needs to be quiet if u need to be listening to sound.

Yarr! On hardwareversand.de :
    95316999.th.jpg

That's a 6core with 8GB RAM, and even with an SSD for the operating system and the most important programs and applications. If not needed, can be replaced by a small WD Caviar Black, or similar.
    2x1TB Samsung F3 and a BluRay burner. The PSU is enough for more drives (6SATA 6IDE connections), and a good cooler. The case is a cheap placeholder, extras like removable mainboard tray etc. cost more.
    Mainboard with onboard graphics (w/ SidePort memory), would even be enough for viewing HD movies when youre bored ;p

Yarr! On hardwareversand.de :
    95316999.th.jpg

That's a 6core with 8GB RAM, and even with an SSD for the operating system and the most important programs and applications. If not needed, can be replaced by a small WD Caviar Black, or similar.
    2x1TB Samsung F3 and a BluRay burner. The PSU is enough for more drives (6SATA 6IDE connections), and a good cooler. The case is a cheap placeholder, extras like removable mainboard tray etc. cost more.
    Mainboard with onboard graphics (w/ SidePort memory), would even be enough for viewing HD movies when youre bored ;p

Would the onboard vid be powerful enough to support the rendering?

• Advertisement

Not sufficiently.
    Whether or not a GPU is suitable for video encoding depends completely on the programs used by you. Usually converters do utilize only CPUs, not graphic cards.
    There are a few (that I know of) that use Nvidia's CUDA (Badaboom, Super Loiloscope) or ATI's Stream (Cyber Power Director). But if your office just spent a few hundred EUR on a professional video suite that doesn't even support it, it'd be pretty much useless.

Advertisement