Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winchester Model 70

Options
  • 21-08-2010 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got much experience with any of these? Handled one a while back, felt like a quality rifle. Nicer than typical stock, nice smooth bolt throw, solid feel to the whole affair, well balanced. What's the accuracy like, typically? Triggers good? Are they on a par with decent European kit, basically, or even speaking relatively, since I don't think they're as expensive? Who imports them anyway? Anywhere I might find one in stock around Dublin to take a better look at? I know the Americans are pretty crazy about them, but that's no fantastic indication either. In terms of a good controlled round feed platform, are they as good as it gets without going either to Mauser or a custom rifle, which are both big bucks? Best comparison I guess is whether they'd be better than a CZ550, particularly the higher end of the spectrum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I think they're out of production :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I think they're out of production :(

I think they currently are, aye, but I'd know where to lay my hands on some left-handed examples in the states if I decided to go down that road. I've thought before about doing a trip to Africa after I finish college and for a big game rifle without paying silly money, it pretty much comes down to those two. (Ammo is still silly money mind. You're talking between five and fifteen quid a shot)

I think they currently are, aye, but I'd know where to lay my hands on some left-handed examples in the states if I decided to go down that road. I've thought before about doing a trip to Africa after I finish college and for a big game rifle without paying silly money, it pretty much comes down to those two. (Ammo is still silly money mind. You're talking between five and fifteen quid a shot)

See what you need is a .303 ;) ammo cheap and it was used to knock elephants too :D

And you can shoot against me in VCRAI shoots :)

Those Winchesters are supposedly fine rifles think US Army used 'em as sniper rifles at some stage

See what you need is a .303 ;) ammo cheap and it was used to knock elephants too :D

And you can shoot against me in VCRAI shoots :)

Those Winchesters are supposedly fine rifles think US Army used 'em as sniper rifles at some stage

You're more than welcome to go up against an elephant with a .303. Personally, I'll live, thanks. :p

If I could I'd have the Enfield and half a dozen others. Brilliant fun. Licensing and funds prohibit, however.

The Winchester I was looking at was nice. Would love to shoot one a bit though, see what it's like then.

.........If I could I'd have the Enfield and half a dozen others. Brilliant fun. Licensing and funds prohibit, however..........

Same for us all :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Anyone got much experience with any of these? Handled one a while back, felt like a quality rifle. Nicer than typical stock, nice smooth bolt throw, solid feel to the whole affair, well balanced. What's the accuracy like, typically? Triggers good? Are they on a par with decent European kit, basically, or even speaking relatively, since I don't think they're as expensive? Who imports them anyway? Anywhere I might find one in stock around Dublin to take a better look at? I know the Americans are pretty crazy about them, but that's no fantastic indication either. In terms of a good controlled round feed platform, are they as good as it gets without going either to Mauser or a custom rifle, which are both big bucks? Best comparison I guess is whether they'd be better than a CZ550, particularly the higher end of the spectrum.

Your PM put me firmly in possession of your circumstances. Thanks for that.

tac

I can afford a Lee Enfield. What I can't afford is to buy the handful of classic rifles I'd enjoy shooting, along with the moderate handful of their modern counterparts, license them at €80 each and feed them with extortionate commercial ammo. Compared to doing that in Ireland, ten days of cape buffalo hunting in Zimbabwe looks positively cheap. The comparison is with the CZ 550 Safari Mag, which is a well finished piece of kit. By your own admission, the modern Winchester model 70s are not up to snuff, and since I'm not trekking around looking for a pre-'64 left-handed model which may or may not exist, it's the modern one that's a useful comparison, since I know I can get them. Essentially, bar double rifles, the CZ 550 and its BRNO predecessor and the Winchester model 70 are the benchmarks of African hunting. The calibres I was interested in were .375 H&H Mag and .404 Jeffery, predominantly, though I expect the first time I go to Africa it would be with a .300 Win Mag for plains game, since it would cost about a third the price of any cape buffalo hunt. .375 minimum is for dangerous game. Plains game has no requirement bar that of the outfitter. The .300 Win would more than adequately cover me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

I can afford a Lee Enfield. What I can't afford is to buy the handful of classic rifles I'd enjoy shooting, along with the moderate handful of their modern counterparts, license them at €80 each and feed them with extortionate commercial ammo. Compared to doing that in Ireland, ten days of cape buffalo hunting in Zimbabwe looks positively cheap. The comparison is with the CZ 550 Safari Mag, which is a well finished piece of kit. By your own admission, the modern Winchester model 70s are not up to snuff, and since I'm not trekking around looking for a pre-'64 left-handed model which may or may not exist, it's the modern one that's a useful comparison, since I know I can get them. Essentially, bar double rifles, the CZ 550 and its BRNO predecessor and the Winchester model 70 are the benchmarks of African hunting. The calibres I was interested in were .375 H&H Mag and .404 Jeffery, predominantly, though I expect the first time I go to Africa it would be with a .300 Win Mag for plains game, since it would cost about a third the price of any cape buffalo hunt. .375 minimum is for dangerous game. Plains game has no requirement bar that of the outfitter. The .300 Win would more than adequately cover me though.

africa my hole . your living with in range of the best stalking in the world . free living wild animals .you will be time enough in africa in you 60s .

get your 25,06 going hear , i have invites to most every where ,the day i get bored of the wicklow mountains is the day il book flights to nz or the like .

jwshooter wrote: »
    africa my hole . your living with in range of the best stalking in the world . free living wild animals .you will be time enough in africa in you 60s .

get your 25,06 going hear , i have invites to most every where ,the day i get bored of the wicklow mountains is the day il book flights to nz or the like .

Yep, just waiting for september now. Going to get out for a couple of shots this week just to confirm zero and I'll be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Compared to doing that in Ireland, ten days of cape buffalo hunting in Zimbabwe looks positively cheap.

Yeah,if you dont mind supporting corrupt Marxist dictatorships.
    Been offered a few times to go there.Wont set foot in the place .

a useful comparison, since I know I can get them. Essentially, bar double rifles, the CZ 550 and its BRNO predecessor and the Winchester model 70 are the benchmarks of African hunting.

Would also add Mauser,and Rigby to that list in the bolt action category

The calibres I was interested in were .375 H&H Mag and .404 Jeffery, predominantly, though I expect the first time I go to Africa it would be with a .300 Win Mag for plains game, since it would cost about a third the price of any cape buffalo hunt. .375 minimum is for dangerous game. Plains game has no requirement bar that of the outfitter. The .300 Win would more than adequately cover me though.

It will,just make sure you can keep the barrel cool.We went once to Nanimbia,where it is plains game par exellance with a Weatherby in 300Win mag.The difference in accruacy in the heat firing with a warm barrel can be well intresting .you really need first kill shot placement if you are going with the 300 Win.

As for the 'money' aspect, if you can't afford a good old-fashioned .303, what makes you think you can afford to go big-game hunting in Africa?

Even now, think around a minimum of 300 and up to 800eu a day and you won't be far out. BG licences are not exactly thrown at you as you get off the plane and you MUST have professional guide, too. And lastly, the minimum calibre in RSA these days is .375 Holland and Holland - anything less and you stay on the truck.

Where is this cheap place in Africa for safaris you speak of oh Tac???:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Where is this cheap place in Africa for safaris you speak of oh Tac???:D

All I noted was the between 300-550eu a day should be thought of as the starting line - first you have to get there, then you have to have the suitable ironware.

Seems that most of you over there live at a far higher level of on the pay-scale economy than me - something I've noted over recent years in my dealing with the RoI. The way most of you blatt off hundreds of rounds of high-end factory ammunition with not a care in the world convinces me of that - throwing the empties away at the end of it is pure sacrilege over here.

Sadly, is old b*ggers over here - retired damaged and poor - have to make do with going to the USA instead.

Anyhow, enjoy your safari - whether it's in in the Masai Mara or Mayo.

tac

If a good quality rifle in an African calibre is what you are after then you could do a lot worse than contact Ron Wharton at Bunduki Travel. Not only does he build some very nice guns in the calibre of your choice, but he also arranges safaris to suit. Ron is an ex-Rigby gunmaker, set up on his own after the company was bought out a few years back, and much of his clientele came with him, thankfully.

His basic b/a rifle, very simple but a thing of real beauty, can be hanging off your arm for around £7500 plus scope, but of course, he is equally happy making something a bit more special if required, as in your case, where you are sinistral.

He often gets his own guns back in p/e, and currently has six or seven, in stock, but nothing, AFAIK, in a left-hand action.

Here's a few to get you in the right frame of mind -

.300 Win Mag bolt action rifle by Ronald Wharton. Holland quick detachable mounts. 2.5 - 10 Habicht scope. Exhibition wood. Leather covered pad.
    Price: $8500.00

416 Rigby bolt action rifle by Ronald Wharton (from Rigby's). 3/4" rib Ferlach barrel. English Express sights. Holland quick detachable mounts. 1.25 - 4x24 Habicht scope. Exhibition wood.
    Price: £10,500.00

416 Rigby bolt action rifle by Ronald Wharton (from Rigby's). English Express sights. Exhibition wood.
    Price: £6000.00

If you ARE interested, tell him I sent you.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

IWM

Win pre64 are nice but pricey.

First things first, you need two guns for Africa, a backup (to insure sanity) is essential in the bush incase the primary hiccups. True regardless if you have to convince a wife or god forbid yourself.

A 30.06 and a .375H&H or a 8x57 and a 9.3 x 62 Mauser or 9.3x64 Brenneke . One can pick up this ammunition anywhere they sell ammo on the continent. A good LH rifle whilst not breaking the bank = Sako, or CZ in hunter and/or safari versions. BreakingTB, disposable wealth, a nice Holland chambered in 300 H&H, excellent calibre and value increases with age and provenance.

Cheap safari's???:D:confused:??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

An E-mail from a friend, a writer for sporting publications in the States filled in some information re Win M70.

The 'new' Model 70 is made in the U.S. Repeating Arms’ FN Manufacturing plant in Columbia, South Carolina, at the same manufacturing plant where rifles and machine guns used by America’s Armed Forces around the world are built. They are made to the exact ISO 9001 standard of quality that Uncle Sam insists upon for military firearms.

First, the trigger is the new “M.O.A Trigger System,” which is marketingspeak for a completely redesigned three-lever trigger. Like the X-Bolt, it was very fine, with zero creep. It is factory set at 3 ¾ pounds and ranges from 3 to 5 pounds.

The other big improvement on this gun is its accuracy. Some of the guns coming out of the Connecticut factory toward the end of the original Model 70’s run were downright awful, and Winchester is very serious about correcting that problem. The barrels are hammer forged, and the goal is 1-MOA accuracy for 3-shot groups. All of the new Model 70s I shot in Quebec were very accurate. The 3-position safety, stock styling, and ejector are all classic Model 70.

The rifle will come in several versions including: Super Grade, Featherweight Deluxe, Sporter Deluxe, and Extreme Weather SS models. Prices from $1,000 to $1,200.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOpvX3ac74o

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/category.asp?family=001C

• Registered Users Posts: 39 spik r

ur on the right road to success i bought one second hand meaning to buy new when i got used of shooting a high calibre will never change so far has taken down eight silver and two gold medal red deer with no need for a second shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Bumpidy bump bump, I'm reviving this thread beacause I handled one of these today, and wow I see what all of the fuss is about now!

Advertisement