Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What am i looking at?

Options
  • 21-08-2010 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

It seems like a small faint cluster or stars, you can only see it properly with averted vision, Jupiter is in the south east, its close enough to the horizon and to the left of jupiter so it's in the east. What is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

M45 ie. The Pleides Cluster. AKA The Seven Sisters etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

To the OP, what time were you out observing?

To the Astronomers out there, is the Beehive cluster viewable at this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

FISMA wrote: »
    To the OP, what time were you out observing?

To the Astronomers out there, is the Beehive cluster viewable at this time?

NO. Doesn't rise till just before dawn atm. ie its already quite bright when Cancer rises.

Defo The Pleides if the OP posted soon after coming back inside at 2am. When I was out looking at the Perseids last week I saw M45 over the roof behind in the East. I had forgotten that by late August that M45, Taurus, Aldebaran and M42 Orion et all are above the horizon while its still dark in the AM, so seing the Pleides suprised me.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

yeah it would have been between midnight and 2am, i posted that post when i got back in, it was low enough still when i was leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Roomic,
    Next time you see a Subaru, have a look at their emblem and tell us if what you are seeing looks like that.

Subaru in Japanese means wonderful, or something like that, and it is supposed to represent the Seven Sisters - the Pleiades. Although, you'll be hard pressed to see all 7 stars. 6 if you are lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It would be the Pleiades. If it is high enough above the horizon you should see the red star Aldebaran below-left of it, on the bottom arm of a > shape. They are all part of the constellation of Taurus.

Advertisement