Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Players lounge in Fairview - Dublin

Options
  • 21-08-2010 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Does anyone know what this pub is like inside as i have never been into it and was just curious as it was in the news recently after a bouncer and two bystanders got shot outside. What are the regulars like inside- is it a place that i should stay away from as i here they have the rights to a lot of english matches that are not on mainstream tv??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Great place to shoot the breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Anyone seriously know if its dodgy tho or have a bad reputation as i realise people can be shot anywhere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

any pub that has the Irish Brigade playing in it has got to be dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    Anyone seriously know if its dodgy tho or have a bad reputation as i realise people can be shot anywhere

it's a complete fukking shhithole. Full of tracksuit wearing junkballs from East Wall/Ballybough/Marino.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

cheers thats all i wanted confirmed, there website looks quite cool and gives a differant impression but thats always gonna be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Good boozer. Head in there for the Celtic games not shown on mainstream tv.

There are plenty of tv screens so you can pick your spot.

Never seen any bother and it is just the same as any other pub just outside the city centre.

Try it yourself and don't listen to the pish spouted on here.

Murrays(Fraziers) will show all the games too and is a bit more central.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

winston82 wrote: »
    it's a complete fukking shhithole. Full of tracksuit wearing junkballs from East Wall/Ballybough/Marino.

I was in it once. I'd have to agree with you. Pity though, it would be a good place to watch the football otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

After Hours -> Regional forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Ah, it's fine. Have never been in it during the week but usually head in there before and after a game at Croke Park. Can get very busy on match day but a seat usually appears at some point and loads of staff so you won't be waiting ages for a pint. Excellent venue for watching sports, wall to wall TVs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

winston82 wrote: »

and where might you be from..? marino is far from full a junk balls.i agree the pub is a s*hit hole only been in it the once and once was enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

spider_pig wrote: »
    and where might you be from..? marino is far from full a junk balls..

I didn't even notice that comment. I always associated Marino with older people, rightly or wrongly although any time I've been on the 123 the majority of passengers seem to be bus pass holders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

Collie D wrote: »
    I didn't even notice that comment. I always associated Marino with older people, rightly or wrongly although any time I've been on the 123 the majority of passengers seem to be bus pass holders

exactly my point there does be nobody out here at all night or day its prob one the safest places to walk at night never anything happening here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

OP the pub is grand. Sure the majority of the crowd if not all are working class...but "working" class as opposed to skanger-sub class.

The pub gets bands in and has all the matches on a load of tv's. If that's your thing then it's bang on. Not my cup of tea but C'est le vie.

The shooting wasn't the usual skanger-junkie shoot'm up. It is apparently more to do with the nastier underbelly of criminal activity residue left around the bath tub of Irish society by republican gangsters.

If you like a show or wall to wall tv's then it's fine. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Great pub inside, crowd is mostly local people, working class / lower middle class but not of the scummy type. Apparently it does have ties to Republicans so not 100% sure on it but a nice pub all the same great for sports.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

RMD wrote: »
    Great pub inside, crowd is mostly local people, working class / lower middle class but not of the scummy type. Apparently it does have ties to Republicans so not 100% sure on it but a nice pub all the same great for sports.

Oh I thought it was the other way around RMD. Could well have my own wires crossed though but I thought I was told that it was because Stokes wasn't playing ball with Republican door security etc.

Anthony Stokes' (the footballer) dad owns it, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    i here they have the rights to a lot of english matches that are not on mainstream tv??

Do they have the rights or just a lot of tv channels. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

playerslounge.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

What utter morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'm sure she's devastated :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Ironic that they are using the Queen of GB & NI to get some free advertising. Seems they don't want a British embassy here either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its a bit hypocritical that they have that outside while they screen the premier league on the ten million + tellys they have in the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tommyadams

Wow they must be taking anti-embarrassment pills round the clock in that kip. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I bet they will show british football ahead of a league of Ireland game. His own son pays taxes to the queen :). He was on the fm104 talk show talking crap the other week as well.
    Its a pointless banner as its not as if she had intended to make it her local now is it :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

its a bit hypocritical that they have that outside while they screen the premier league on the ten million + tellys they have in the place

Not to mention the collection of British jerseys framed on the wall (along with a Shels one too mind you :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't know that it is hypocritical exactly, as per their sign - their qualm is with 'occupation', not all things British.

They are just ****ing eejits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I don't know that it is hypocritical exactly, as per their sign - their qualm is with 'occupation', not all things British.

They are just ****ing eejits.

So I can cheer o b the English national football team or rugby team in there even if I disagree with the occupation of the North? Cool.

Maybe I'm wrong but I assume when people get shot there is a reason such as criminal or paramilitary involvement, and not just random attacks. I'd be more worried if the place had a reputation for fights and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

stovelid wrote: »
    I'd be more worried if the place had a reputation for fights and so on.

It has that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Clever idea, but they got the last line wrong, they no doubt mean the British establishment and not anyone British.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Clever idea

No its not, Its ****ing tick. His son makes a fine living for himself in Britain and gladley takes the queens shilling which helped buy that shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This just in: Queen Elizabeth gutted that she won't be able to have a pint with the local Mensa members that no doubt drink in the Player's Lounge regularly.

Advertisement