Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atmospheric conditions and radio signals/frequency

Options
  • 21-08-2010 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

What atmospheric conditions would be favourable to picking up a radio frequency/signal from afar.

I googled it but the answers vary.

Found this on Valentia Coastguard - [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+2]When atmospheric conditions prevail, radio communications between the US Coast Guard can be heard at Valentia, even as far as the Hudson River.[/SIZE][/FONT]

What would be the ideal atmospheric conditions does anyone know?

By the way, I listen to five live for football on occasion and that too varies in signal quality. Atlantic 252 was the same as I am sure Radio Luxemburg was.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Tropospheric ducting :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropospheric_propagation#Tropospheric_ducting

I think you can even get forecasts for it, but I haven't looked into it much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

thanks maq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Have a look at this wiki about radio propogation.

Tropospheric ducting is just one and only applies to higher frequencies, you mentioned Long wave radio stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

to add to this topic...i heard the bells from my local church ringing today for the first time in many years. It was so clear it was like the church was at the other end of the field.

I am over a mile from the Church and there are a number of hills in the way. I presume the sound bounced off hills and found its way to me but why does the sound travel to me only once in a blue moon?

By the way, the bells toll 3 times a day before any smart answer:)

• Advertisement

Could be an unusual wind direction, I live a coulpe of miles from the motorway and can only hear traffic when the wind is from the north-east.

Advertisement