Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd formation picked up on Finnish radar

Options
  • 21-08-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys.. I'm not sure if it's ok to cross-reference threads from other forums but this was posted in the CT forum and is quite interesting
    hacx wrote: »
    1282330304243.gif

This phenomenon was captured today (see pic).
    Site: http://www.mtv3.fi/saa/sadetutka.shtml
    Second site(Also captured it): http://weather.fi/Finland/Helsinki?map=radext&zoom=sfi

Hour before this, the famous UBV-76 had some activity - On August 20, 2010 at 12:11 AM CMT, a garbled Russian voice was detected by amateur listeners. It made a short message with little interference and then repeated itself with noticeably more static. This following recent activity on the station that included more static than usual and several instances of objects being moved/dropped. All of this was detected by amateur listeners and is unconfirmed at the moment.

The "Power cut in Russian city"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11042744

BBC Source tells it happened at 14:40, first image of the phenomenon was captured at 14:00, around 15 it was most active, then after that it was weaker and dissapeared.

Now I know the stuff about the UBV-76 station and the power outage is most likely coincidence, but does anyone know what would cause a such a pattern to show up on radar? Was it just a fault? There's very little info about the event online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,289 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

the way it fades in and fades out over a period of time makes it look like it wasn't a fault. Maybe something close to the radar station caused interference or maybe it failed and they turned it off. Would be better if the animated gif moved slower but still probably not images to determine. If it was some more widespread radar jamming or something further from the radar station you'd expect to see to interference shown outside the one station

Most likely somebody pushed the radar sensitivity knob up too high for a period of time as it looks a bit like its showing background noise more than interference

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Could it be? wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yeah, its just anomalous propagation.

Similar examples :

22012010_1-2_WeatherRadarAu-368x336.jpg

IDR00000_201001220200-IndividualRadarCoverage2010-0122-200UTC.gif

I've seen less dramatic examples on our own Met Eireann radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

For a period of about two years the met eireann radar showed a perfectly straight line of percipitaion going from just north of wexford harbour across to limerick.

Met Eireann said it was interference from a wifi system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    For a period of about two years the met eireann radar showed a perfectly straight line of percipitaion going from just north of wexford harbour across to limerick.

Met Eireann said it was interference from a wifi system.

I'd say mountains where playing a main part there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I remember something similar showed up on the Shannon radar during the volcanic dust event last April:

125021.gif

although whether the dust caused it I just don't know. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

I remember something similar showed up on the Shannon radar during the volcanic dust event last April:

125021.gif

although whether the dust caused it I just don't know. :o
    looks like Limerick was just nuked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Thats an awful lot of dust . . .:eek:

Advertisement