Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rule of thumb for calories burned?

• 21-08-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭

I did google a bit first but couldnt find what I was looking for eactly. As best as I could gather you burn 20 calories per km, not sure what speed that was at, but if your average speed is 15km/hr 20km/hr or 25km/hr , is there a factor to apply to the basic calorie burn?

2nd question is height covered, does it matter much from a calorie point of view if you end up where you started. so for example if your height done is 500m, does it add anything to the per km calorie amount.

I'm sure there are other factors but just looking for a ballpark figure.

cheers

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

silverharp wrote: »
    I did google a bit first but couldnt find what I was looking for eactly. As best as I could gather you burn 20 calories per km, not sure what speed that was at, but if your average speed is 15km/hr 20km/hr or 25km/hr , is there a factor to apply to the basic calorie burn?

2nd question is height covered, does it matter much from a calorie point of view if you end up where you started. so for example if your height done is 500m, does it add anything to the per km calorie amount.

I'm sure there are other factors but just looking for a ballpark figure.

cheers

You can find rough estimates here based on speed, duration and bodyweight:
    http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/calories-burned-by.php?search=cycling

To be more accurate you should take into account your heart rate to get more accurate results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Liamo08 wrote: »
    You can find rough estimates here based on speed, duration and bodyweight:
    http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/calories-burned-by.php?search=cycling

To be more accurate you should take into account your heart rate to get more accurate results.

Those aren't bad but a bit on the high side (maybe +20%) compared to my own data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Whoa,
    5040 calaries burned for me by that calculator. I'd agree and say a little on the high side for me. 170km at 27.1 for 64kg. Felt like I burned more on the way back to Sandyford. Flatter run home then to Kildare also skews results slightly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I use the calories burned on my heart rate monitor, but I tell it that I am 10kg lighter than I am so it gives accurate results. I still think they are a bit on the high side. On a 4 hour cycle I burn close to 1800 calories. When I attend/teach a spin class (50 minutes) I burn 700 calories, with an average heart rate of about 168 (82% of max).

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

I suppose you also need to factor in what you are consuming when cycling. Energy Bars and Drinks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Lumen wrote: »
    Those aren't bad but a bit on the high side (maybe +20%) compared to my own data.

If that data is from a Garmin ignore it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

billy.fish wrote: »
    If that data is from a Garmin ignore it

No, power meter.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No, power meter.

Yeah, but what records your power meter data?:D

@billy.fish - we've had a few threads about the dodgy Garmin calorie readings, although they do seem quite consistently out. General view seems to be you should multiply the Garmin reading by 50 - 60% or so to get a sensible calorie count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I found what seems to be a reasonable calculator here

http://www.goodhealth.com/healthwise/articles/interactive_tool_how_many_calories_did_you_burn#what_does_this_tool_measure

it doesnt show metric values , but it comes out at (for avg. wt) just over 425 calories per hour at a slow speed around 16km p/hr and 725 per hour at ~25km

so a 3 hr cycle could be between 1300 to 2200 calories depending on speed, nice! . I assume the count is not marginal so you would burn ~80 per hour anyway just watching tv. Then you are going to eat extra as was mentioned by someone above.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The new Garmin 500 seems to calculate calories differently than th 305 Edge. I have seen as low as 400 and as high as 870 depending on HR.
    On the old Garmin 305 it recorded 1400 cals for me regardless of effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

ROK ON wrote: »
    The new Garmin 500 seems to calculate calories differently than th 305 Edge. I have seen as low as 400 and as high as 870 depending on HR.
    On the old Garmin 305 it recorded 1400 cals for me regardless of effort.

Does this not make sense though? Higher HR indicates higher effort - more output = more calories out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Does this not make sense though? Higher HR indicates higher effort - more output = more calories out?

That's my point. The 305 simply churned out the same number whereas the 500 is based on effort and is calculating calorie burn similar to where many exercise/diet websites estimate calorie burn cycling for a man of my weight.

NO
    for the love of god no

You could be under sever dehydration and have a massivly elevated HR.

ROK ON wrote: »
    That's my point. The 305 simply churned out the same number whereas the 500 is based on effort and is calculating calorie burn similar to where many exercise/diet websites estimate calorie burn cycling for a man of my weight.

Its not based on effort, its based on a reaction.

Only way you can calculate an energy expenditure based on 'effort' is to calculate it based of the mechanical work put in less the economy of the cyclist (20-25% depending).

Heart rate is a response to a stimulus, or stimuli. It is not a consistant measure of 'effort'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,497 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you accounting for the bike?

Yes, I'm calling your bike fat.

That whole 'should the bike be in calculations' is a massive arguing point in scientific papers at the moment (well actually since forever)

On many people like to sit on the fence about

Advertisement