Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting - wikileaks founder accused of rape.

• 21-08-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

EDIT - Warrant has been withdrawn - updated source link

Source

Original quoted report .....
    Swedish authorities say they have issued an arrest warrant for Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, on accusations of rape and molestation.
    The warrant was issued late on Friday, said Karin Rosander, communications head at Sweden's prosecutors' office.
    Swedish police have been trying to contact Mr Assange, but have been unable to so far, she told the BBC.

On Twitter, Wikileaks, which has leaked Afghan war documents, quoted him saying the charges were "without basis".
    The message, attributed directly to Mr Assange, said the appearance of the allegations "at this moment is deeply disturbing".
    In a series of other messages posted on the Wikileaks Twitter feed, the whistle-blowing website said: "No-one here has been contacted by Swedish police" and said it had been warned to expect "dirty tricks".
    Will the fact wikileaks has pissed off the CIA etc be enough reasonable doubt to get this thrown out ?

Edit - Updated news ....
    Sweden has cancelled an arrest warrant for Wikileaks founder Julian Assange on accusations of rape and molestation.

The Swedish Prosecution Authority website said the chief prosecutor had come to the decision that Mr Assange was not suspected of rape but did not give any further explanation.

So now we wonder did the CIA intervene on his behalf :P

Mod edit: case reopened
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11151277
    A senior Swedish prosecutor has ordered the reopening of a rape investigation into Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.
    Public Prosecutions Director Marianne Ny said there was "reason to believe a crime has been committed" and that the crime was classified as rape.
    Last week prosecutors cancelled an arrest warrant for Mr Assange on accusations of rape and molestation, saying he was no longer suspected.
    Mr Assange denies any wrongdoing saying the accusations are "without basis".
    The decision to re-open the case follows an appeal by a Swedish woman who has accused Mr Assange of raping her.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

CIA making false claims me thinks. i wouldnt put anything past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

That's exactly my point - the general consensus from people is that the CIA would be capable and willing to do something like that. So even if the guy is guilty of the crime he could get off simply because of this reasonable doubt.

(Whether or not they would actually do this is more suited for the conspiracy theories forum of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Or the ultimate cover story, rape someone then claim the CIA did it and watch the conspiracy sites go mad and blindly defend you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I find this hard to believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Or the ultimate cover story, rape someone then claim the CIA did it and watch the conspiracy sites go made and blindly defend you.
    I see what you did there. Stop it. It makes my head hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Can you imagine the stress Assange is constantly under?

Who knows whether the claims are true or not.. I'm sure they wouldn't be talking about it unless someone made a complaint against him, and even if it's not true it doesn't exactly shine him in a good light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

There is a soldier facing the death penalty for leaking video footage to wikileaks.

Is what you suggest such a leap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Any more details?

Edit:
    Prosecutor Marie Häljebo Kjellstrand confirmed that a warrant was issued on Friday evening and that the grade of suspicion -- probable cause -- was strong enough to ensure that the 39-year-old Australian could be detained upon his arrest, newspaper Expressen reports.

A source close to the case told the newspaper that two women in their twenties went to the police in Stockholm on Friday to speak about their recent encounters with Assange.

The Swedish Prosecution Authority released a statement on Saturday morning in which it revealed that the warrant was based on “one report of rape and one report of molestation. A warrant has been put out for the person's arrest since there is a risk that he could hamper the investigation.”

Assange spent time with one of the women at an apartment in Södermalm in Stockholm on Saturday night, while he met the other women in the nearby town of Enköping, according to Expressen. The prosecution authority said Assange was suspected of rape in the Enköping case and molestation in Stockholm.

Kristinn Hrafnsson, a colleague of Assange's who spoke to news agency AFP from Iceland, said that the charges against him were false.

"He didn't know of the charges until he read them in the right wing tabloid Expressen this morning", Hrafnsson said. "There are powerful organisations who want to do harm to WikiLeaks."

Hrafnsson said Assange was still in Sweden and would "go to the police very quickly."

The WikiLeaks founder also personally denied the accusations in an email to Stockholm daily Dagens Nyheter.

“Why these accusations are coming at this point in time is an interesting question. I haven't been contacted by the police. The allegations are false.”

Assange has spent time in Sweden over the last week as a guest of the Association of Christian Social Democrats. WikiLeaks chose to move its servers from the United States to Sweden in 2007 as Assange believed the site would benefit from Swedish laws protecting journalists' sources.

The pentagon recently called on WikiLeaks to halt the publication of 70,000 leaked classified documents from the US-led war in Afghanistan. But Assange instead vowed to press ahead with the publication of a further 15,000 secret documents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

orourkeda wrote: »
    There is a soldier facing the death penalty for leaking video footage to wikileaks.

Is what you suggest such a leap?

The punishment for what the soldier did is prescribed in law.

As for the rape allegations... there's no way to know the truth behind it until/if it goes to court. And lets just hope he gets a fair trial.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I suppose it's one way also of getting him out of their country, appear to be friendly to the states government and get the man into a country that does allow the American goons to apply for his extradition!

That "insurance" file on the Wikileaks site better be good!

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    I suppose it's one way also of getting him out of their country, appear to be friendly to the states government and get the man into a country that does allow the American goons to apply for his extradition!

Or, if he's innocent, he could just stay in Sweden....

Seems obvious enough that CIA made threats against him and they didn't work, so now there's this

Do you have a link to that file?

Do you have a link to that file?

Yes - here: http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Afghan_War_Diary,_2004-2010
    8th bullet point down on the page.

Brief write up on the file by "Wired": http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/wikileaks-insurance-file/

I'm assuming that many have downloaded it and at some point in the future something happens to the site and/or the man, the password will be released to the public so they can open it!

Yes - here: http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Afghan_War_Diary,_2004-2010
    8th bullet point down on the page.

Brief write up on the file by "Wired": http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/wikileaks-insurance-file/

I'm assuming that many have downloaded it and at some point in the future something happens to the site and/or the man, the password will be released to the public so they can open it!

lol.. what a kick in the teeth to the US govt. Using an encryption method that they developed :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Goodbye moral superiority from this twat. Thank god. Wonder how many deaths in Afghanistan he'll end up responsible for. As for the soldier who is facing the death penalty..............what did he expect?

Why would the CIA bother to falsify rape allegations? Far easier ways of getting rid of people.

/end drunken rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

dan719 wrote: »
    Goodbye moral superiority from this twat. Thank god. Wonder how many deaths in Afghanistan he'll end up responsible for. As for the soldier who is facing the death penalty..............what did he expect?

Why would the CIA bother to falsify rape allegations? Far easier ways of getting rid of people.

/end drunken rant

Exactly, why would the CIA bother with a rape charge? They could kill him and his body would never be found.

Conspiracy my arse, maybe he did rape somebody and it's not the big bad CIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

He is currently far too high profile to silence him, destroy his reputation and people will stop listening to him and eventually he'll fade in to the background.

If someone decides to take action against him after that has happened there wouldn't be the same level of publicity over it.

I think the CIA are having trouble getting hold of him.
    It's the right approach for someone loud and troublesome. Kill him and he's a martyr. Discredit him and nobody will listen to him anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

TimTim wrote: »
    He is currently far too high profile to silence him, destroy his reputation and people will stop listening to him and eventually he'll fade in to the background.

If someone decides to take action against him after that has happened there wouldn't be the same level of publicity over it.

If someone has a massive heart attack the CIA can hardly be blamed, can they? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Fromvert wrote: »
    Exactly, why would the CIA bother with a rape charge? They could kill him and his body would never be found.

Conspiracy my arse, maybe he did rape somebody and it's not the big bad CIA.

Simply because its not enough to destroy the man, they must destroy his reputation as well. As it stands now even if the charges are dropped people in the future will always have a question mark over the guy and every time WikiLeaks or Assange are mentioned everyones first thought will be RAPIST RAPIST!!! He may be guilty, he may be not but mud like this sticks, just as John Leslie

If someone has a massive heart attack the CIA can hardly be blamed, can they? ;)
    Depends on if their injected/absorbed medication is ultimately detectable or not! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Even for the CIA to pay a couple of girls to have sex with the guy then cry rape...
    Two girls from different towns both went to the police at the same time?
    Did they know each other? It is unusual that BOTH of them made complaints to the police.
    It seems a bit clumsy even for the CIA to try that, but for sure I wouldn't put it past them.

The CIA cannot just kill the man. His friends hold the encryption key to a file called "insurance" on their webserver. I'd bet the CIA or military would love to know what exactly is inside it. Likely if they paint him as a rapist one of his wikileaks buddies who has a copy of the key might just be persuaded to share it. Who knows.

One thing is for sure, the conspiracy theory guys will have a ball with this one anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Maybe they found this
    http://www.399animeshop.com/deathnote.jpg

Fuzzy wrote: »
    ...One thing is for sure, the conspiracy theory guys will have a ball with this one anyways.
    Absolutely. I can hear them now...

* How did two supposed separate girls get mistreated, meet-up and go to the cops at the same time?
    * How did one find out about the other?
    * What's their backgrounds and have they been contacted by quiet methods to get their story straight, etc...
    ...and so on and on...

The conspiracy sections on some international forums will be lighting up with this latest one LOL :pac:

Even for the CIA to pay a couple of girls to have sex with the guy then cry rape...
    Two girls from different towns both went to the police at the same time?
    Did they know each other? It is unusual that BOTH of them made complaints to the police.
    It seems a bit clumsy even for the CIA to try that, but for sure I wouldn't put it past them.

Very true, I'm sure if he was like this allegations would have surfaced before now or then again maybe he just woke up all rapey one day;)
    Either way you can definitely expect more allegations to come out of the wood work, if he is guilty than by real victims or if innocent then by fantasists who want their 10 seconds of fame. If the allegations are false than shame on those women, rape allegations are not something you just throw around, it's like spitting in the face of true victims.
    The CIA cannot just kill the man. His friends hold the encryption key to a file called "insurance" on their webserver. I'd bet the CIA or military would love to know what exactly is inside it. Likely if they paint him as a rapist one of his wikileaks buddies who has a copy of the key might just be persuaded to share it. Who knows.

Or more than likely they will publicly pop the cork for everyone to have a gander. If its the CIA who are behind it than they are playing a very risky game as WikiLeaks might just see this as an attack and release everything.

Absolutely. I can hear them now...

* How did two supposed separate girls get mistreated, meet-up and go to the cops at the same time?
    * How did one find out about the other?
    * What's their backgrounds and have they been contacted by quiet methods to get their story straight, etc...
    ...and so on and on...

The conspiracy sections on some international forums will be lighting up with this latest one LOL :pac:

The true method are staring you in the face Biggins, open your eyes man, when you see the truth the world will never been the same man, I've seen things man, I know things, thats why their after me man, thats why their trying to steal my salad sauce. Behold the harbingers of doom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wf8N0X74zU

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Whilst I understand that rape and molestation are pretty sensitive issues, the timing of these charges is suspicious, to say the least. He seems like a very smart man so it would surprise me if he chose to do something like this at such a critical time for Wikileaks. I wouldn't put it past the CIA either. Seems like 'The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo' irl.

The true method are staring you in the face Biggins, open your eyes man, when you see the truth the world will never been the same man, I've seen things man, I know things, thats why their after me man, thats why their trying to steal my salad sauce. Behold the harbingers of doom:

Try to stay calm, men in white suits will be with you shortly.
    They are friendly. Don't shoot them with your alien defence gun.
    They are coming to help you. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Is it just me or do the US government seem to have particular bugbears against the activities of French and Swedish people/denizens, societies US citizens could probably learn a lot from?

Maybe that's why come to think of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

/end drunken rant

twat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

Feel sorry for the girls, whos word will be doubted by millions purely because they were abused by some guy with a high profile who the American goverment dosent like. Sad really. If its true ¬.¬

TimTim wrote: »

I doubt the CIA would have a problem bumping him off anyway. Why would they care if a bunch of people suspect them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Sounds like a load of bollocks. If the allegations are found to be false, the two women should get 10 years for attempted character assassination. Why would he want to jeopardize the most important whistle-blower project in the history of the world?

dlofnep wrote: »
    Sounds like a load of bollocks. If the allegations are found to be false, the two women should get 10 years for attempted character assassination. Why would he want to jeopardize the most important whistle-blower project in the history of the world?
    Indeed.
    While we will have to wait till the evidence is in or a guilty verdict, he has never come across as being that stupid to do something as what he's accused with, especially at the present time.
    Then again, we are all only human at the end of the day and make mistakes to some difference of degree.

My mind is currently open to this situation till we learn more - if we do.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »

Never a shortage of idiots willing to fall on a sword for a few quid. Unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭last name ever. first name greatest

He is a bit of a weird looking albino type cnut though.

I wouldn't like to be sitting beside him on a bus :/

Ha! Id second that.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Hopefully Wikileaks won't stop doing it's great work. They must show that they will not be silenced.

Are you serious? I don't even ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

He was supposed to start writing for one of the leading newspapers in Sweden.
    This has stopped that. He is also named with photo in the paper which is almost unheard of in Sweden unless you've been convicted (Swedish papers hardly ever give out personal information before a conviction).

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    He is also named with photo in the paper which is almost unheard of in Sweden unless you've been convicted (Swedish papers hardly ever give out personal information before a conviction).

I'd imagine things are very different when the person involved is famous.

Mark200 wrote: »
    I'd imagine things are very different when the person involved is famous.
    Yea, they move to Switzerland and are protected by the government from being extradited back to the States for sex crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Ive always found the chap very creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Pauleta wrote: »
    Have you met him?

Pauleta wrote: »

Surprise, surprise, the familiar names start to crawl out of teh woodwork.

Saibh wrote: »
    Have you met him?

He is a big enough public figure for people to have formed an opinion of his personality. Although I agree with what his organisation does he IS creepy.

And probablly the most self-righteous man Ive listened to in a while.

Clawdeeus wrote: »
    He is a big enough public figure for people to have formed an opinion of his personality. Although I agree with what his organisation does he IS creepy.

And probablly the most self-righteous man Ive listened to in a while.

How is he creepy?

Is it the colour of his hair?

Is it what he does?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

If this is a CIA operation then the "insurance" file from wikileaks mustn't be too devastating to the States. Obviously, they will have cracked the code by now and have analysed the data within.

...Obviously, they will have cracked the code by now and have analysed the data within.
    Actually if you know anything about encryption you would know that the AES coding system is based apon the underlying architechural coding structure of "Rijendael"

If a long, complex password that does not contain words from any language or dictionary is chosen or even partly so, with current processing ability the Universe will cease to exist before you get close to cracking it - and that includes the use of "Big Blue" or the underground field size server rooms of the NSA to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

he wikileaked alright....

• Advertisement
Advertisement