Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting - wikileaks founder accused of rape.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

karma_ wrote: »
    How is he creepy?

Is it the colour of his hair?

Is it what he does?

The things he says sometimes strike me as inappropriate, bordering on the ideological. Wikileaks would be much more effective to me if it just stuck to releaseing the information, not heavily editing it and adding theirr own analysis (plenty of people do THAT already).

Its more a combination of the hair style and colour. Sleezy.

Didnt I just say I agreed with what he does?

Your quite the fan arent you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Clawdeeus wrote: »
    The things he says sometimes strike me as inappropriate, bordering on the ideological. Wikileaks would be much more effective to me if it just stuck to releaseing the information, not heavily editing it and adding theirr own analysis (plenty of people do THAT already).

You just described any number of politicians.

I think what he does is important, yes. However you're the one who branded him 'creepy', I just called on you to back it up, and you made a half hearted attempt to defend your statement.

Biggins wrote: »
    Actually if you know anything about encryption you would know that the AES coding system is based apon the underlying architechural coding structure of "Rijendael"

If a long, complex password that does not contain words from any language or dictionary is chosen or even partly so, with current processing ability the Universe will cease to exist before you get close to cracking it - and that included the use of "Big Blue" or the underground field size server rooms of the NSA.

Whilst Im not questioning what your saying (I have no idea about that stuff) I would question the effectivness of an "insurance" when the people you are blackmailing dont know what is in it. Im sure the CIA assume that if it is incredibly explosive, wikileaks would have released it by now anyway.

You just described any number of politicians.

I think what he does is important, yes. However you're the one who branded him 'creepy', I just called on you to back it up, and you made a half hearted attempt to defend your statement.

I know. I really dont care if you dont find him creepy. You just asked why I did. If you find it "half-hearted", again, I really dont care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Whilst Im not questioning what your saying (I have no idea about that stuff) I would question the effectivness of an "insurance" when the people you are blackmailing dont know what is in it. Im sure the CIA assume that if it is incredibly explosive, wikileaks would have released it by now anyway.
    Have a look HERE if just to see how complex the coding system is.

As for releasing it by now, maybe, just maybe, they have not released some data for fear of overstepping for the sake of self-gratification, possible repercussions of a legal nature from various countries and/or agencies both known and secret, etc.
    There are many reasons why they have not released the locked information yet and we can only keep guessing for the moment, why this is so.
    One thing for sure, they are not doing it for light reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

They only started adding comments because they had all this info uploaded and lazy journalists were'nt picking up on it. They had to literally spoonfeed these hacks by saying what the document was about and why it was important by providing their own analysis**. Oh and by the way all the source material is up on the website so anyone can check the veracity of their claims so your assertion that they are are akin to Sky news by giving the info an ideological slant is made of fail.

**Off to go find link where Assange says this in a video

EDIT: Here you go:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBENlJfZ-f8

They only started adding comments because they had all this info uploaded and lazy journalists were'nt picking up on it. They had to literally spoonfeed these hacks by saying what the document was about and why it was important by providing their own analysis**. Oh and by the way all the source material is up on the website so anyone can check the veracity of their claims so your assertion that they are are akin to Sky news by giving the info an ideological slant is made of fail.

**Off to go find link where Assange says this in a video

Again, they find something important so they emphasis what they believe is the most importnat bits in a story. They may well be right, but then I see that as aligning themselves more with what the conventional media do.

I think every media (website at least) should cite their scources, would be a nice change of pace. But just because they show the scources, does not mean the analysis is unbiased. It certainly helps though.

Just as an example, the video "Collateral Murder", you may agree that is what it was, however the very name is giving a spin on the video. Would you disagree with that? There are definitly a hell of a lot worse media scources out there, but then Wikileaks goal is different than your traditional news agency.

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Fuzzy wrote: »
    Even for the CIA to pay a couple of girls to have sex with the guy then cry rape...
    Two girls from different towns both went to the police at the same time?
    Did they know each other? It is unusual that BOTH of them made complaints to the police.
    It seems a bit clumsy even for the CIA to try that, but for sure I wouldn't put it past them.

I'd be more worried if women didn't report that they had been raped or sexually assaulted......
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Sounds like a load of bollocks. If the allegations are found to be false, the two women should get 10 years for attempted character assassination. Why would he want to jeopardize the most important whistle-blower project in the history of the world?

I agree they should be punished for falsely accusing someone of rape if that proves to be the case. If it were true well sex offenders are sex offenders. Sometimes they can't control themselves and stupidity ensues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Again, they find something important so they emphasis what they believe is the most importnat bits in a story. They may well be right, but then I see that as aligning themselves more with what the conventional media do.

I think every media (website at least) should cite their scources, would be a nice change of pace. But just because they show the scources, does not mean the analysis is unbiased. It certainly helps though.

Just as an example, the video "Collateral Murder", you may agree that is what it was, however the very name is giving a spin on the video. Would you disagree with that? There are definitly a hell of a lot worse media scources out there, but then Wikileaks goal is different than your traditional news agency.

Thanks for the link.

I agree with everything you said, except the part where they should cite their sources. What their sources did to obtain this information is more often than not illegal, so naming sources just really isn't feasible for a website like wikileaks.

• Advertisement

Mark200 wrote: »
    I agree with everything you said, except the part where they should cite their sources. What their sources did to obtain this information is more often than not illegal, so naming sources just really isn't feasible for a website like wikileaks.

Good point. But when it is doable without threatening their scources (although that would take alot of trust on both sides Im sure.)

So for example if you received a confidental goverment report, you could release the report without saying where exactly you got it.

Probably not possible all the time (or even most), but an effort could be made.

dsmythy wrote: »
    I'd be more worried if women didn't report that they had been raped or sexually assaulted......

I agree they should be punished for falsely accusing someone of rape if that proves to be the case. If it were true well sex offenders are sex offenders. Sometimes they can't control themselves and stupidity ensues.

I agree people should be punished for false accusations, but I dont think they do it much; for fear it may influence an actual victim into not coming forward. Its hard enough for people to go through the procedure of bringing a case like that to the court, and the years of wrangling that comes with it. Fear that THEY may go to jail if the case goes extremly badly would definitly factor in.

Might do it if, say, there is a video or multiple witnesses to Assange being on the other side of the country at the time of the alleged rape. Would have to be incredibly concrete Im sure.

I think every media (website at least) should cite their sources, would be a nice change of pace. But just because they show the scources, does not mean the analysis is unbiased. It certainly helps though.

While every news article should provide source information (not name sources though) how many actually do, at least with WikiLeaks if they have get something wrong then anyone can call bull**** by highlighting the source material as to where the error/spin doctoring in analysis lies.
    Just as an example, the video "Collateral Murder", you may agree that is what it was, however the very name is giving a spin on the video.

Perhaps but it could be argued (and has been on other threads so lets not start here ;)) that the soldiers did in fact murder innocent people in that video. Again they provided the source material and debate ensued over the video on whether or not the act was justified. I applaud them for this since if there was no WikiLeaks then all that would have been reported was sanatised American version that they had killed a few evil insurgents instead of unarmed civilians (Not all were unarmed though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

It sounds to me more like the typical scenario of some bint (or two in this case) getting paid a very nice sum of cash, for giving some tabloid exclusive rights to a story of alleged rape, when it's all complete bullshit.

The motives behind it (who put them up to it) are very debatable; could have been a very wide range of people, as the guy has a lot of enemies.
    Could also just be as simple as the tabloid wanting to fabricate a well earning story for themselves.
    The Iraq video and Afghanistan documents would have had far less media impact if they had simply just released the documents; part of the aim for the WikiLeaks guys, is to take leaked information and make efforts to have it released with the most effect (i.e. greatest amount of media coverage).

They have been extremely successful at doing this so far, and the more high-profile WikiLeaks gets, the more people will learn about them and will leak important material to them.

As for the insurance file; idk, if it contains the remaining 15,000 Afghanistan documents, and those are in unredacted form (which they are, as they're still being processed), then they will only give out the password as a last resort.

Chances are the contents of the insurance file will be released separately over time, and the password for it will never be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

http://bit.ly/b1iH2Z

Arrest Warrant apparently withdrawn. World is getting weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Swedish authorities have cancelled an arrest warrant for Wikileaks founder Julian Assange on accusations of rape and molestation.
    The Swedish Prosecution Authority website said the chief prosecutor had come to the decision that Mr Assange was not suspected of rape.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11049316

very 'wtf?'. I'd say yer man Assange has a court case in it too.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

It's all a bit like the possibly apocryphal story of Lyndon Johnson's 1st election run for Congress. His main rival bred pedigree pigs and LBJ instructed his campaign manager to start a rumour that the rival was in the habit of enjoying carnal knowledge of his favourite sow.

The aghast sidekick said "Jesus, Lyndon, we can't convince people he's a pig fcuker!", to which he replied "Yeah, but let's make him deny it . . . "

What will happen to the women who made the groundless claims, will they be charged with anything? They should be strung up and made an example of IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

assange is a clever man.

if you're reading this Julian (hi, i'm like, totally you're biggest fan), just hop a plane to switzerland and give Roman Polanski a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Scriptwriters in hollywood will get a few stories out of this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

/sets DVR for O'Reilly Factor

• Advertisement

Táck wrote: »
    assange is a clever man.

if you're reading this Julian (hi, i'm like, totally you're biggest fan), just hop a plane to switzerland and give Roman Polanski a call.

What has an admitted pedo got to do with this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Sky News says he has no case to answer. It looks like someone was trying to blacken his name. I wonder who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Swedish prosecutors withdrew an arrest warrant for the founder of WikiLeaks on Saturday, saying less than a day after the document was issued that it was based on an unfounded accusation of rape.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/21/world/main6793072.shtml?tag=cbsContent;cbsCarousel

...Obviously it didn't go 'check facts, then issue warrant'.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Do the CIA have agents / friends / sleepers in every country willing to do anything if asked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

So does sweden have extradition laws with America?

So the CIA Pay some hookers to make a charge, Asange gets called back to sweden and then get extradited to the US for the wikileaks site when the rape charges disappear. Soon after the girls disappear too

Nodin wrote: »
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/21/world/main6793072.shtml?tag=cbsContent;cbsCarousel

...Obviously it didn't go 'check facts, then issue warrant'.....

Looks like he's dyed his hair to help aid his escape from the law :D

Just what were the Swedish prosecutors thinking in releasing the warrant if there were unsatisfactory facts to back the claim up, especially for a sex crime, as mud tends to stick even if the claim is unfounded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Should/could he sue for defamation?

This wont affect his reputation at all.. Completely pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

shuyin1 wrote: »
    Should/could he sue for defamation?

Something tells me he wouldn't sue for defamation. I reckon pressure will be put on those responsible though

Just what were the Swedish prosecutors thinking in releasing the warrant if there were unsatisfactory facts to back the claim up, especially for a sex crime, as mud tends to stick even if the claim is unfounded.

If girls claim they were raped, they have a duty to investigate it. Which would usually mean getting the suspect in....

If girls claim they were raped, they have a duty to investigate it. Which would usually mean getting the suspect in....

Some difference in investigating something and releasing an arrest warrant on what appears to have been little or no actual evidence.

The British Times have also confirmed the dropping of the charges.
    Charges of rape against Julian Assange, founder of the WikiLeaks website, have been withdrawn this afternoon by Swedish prosecutors only a hours after they issued a warrant for his arrest.

Mr Assange denied the claims, dismissing them as “dirty tricks”.

Eva Finné, Chief Prosecutor of Stockholm, confirmed that he was no longer wanted. “I do not find any reason to suspect that he has committed rape,” she said in a statement.

However, the warrant related to one count of rape and one of molestation, and a spokeswoman for the prosecutors’ office said that while “all the charges concerning rape have been lifted”, the police investigation continued.

So it sounds like the Swedish police might be looking into those that did the accusing!

Some difference in investigating something and releasing an arrest warrant on what appears to have been little or no actual evidence.

Is premature issuing of a warrant grounds for defamation though? Thats an actual question, its definitly very unproffesional.

So does sweden have extradition laws with America?

So the CIA Pay some hookers to make a charge, Asange gets called back to sweden and then get extradited to the US for the wikileaks site when the rape charges disappear. Soon after the girls disappear too

That makes no sense, he was already in the country, if they planned on extraditing him, it would have been done. He would have been prosecuted in Sweden.

Is premature issuing of a warrant grounds for defamation though? Thats an actual question, its definitly very unproffesional.

I don't think that would be enough to bring a case of defamation in fairness.

• Advertisement

What has an admitted pedo got to do with this case?

extradition, or lack of

Táck wrote: »
    extradition, or lack of

Oh, who tried to extradite Assange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Rape charges issued & withrawn, paedophilia & communist claims pending...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'd like to know if the two bitches responsible for making false claims are going to be arrested.

See you all next week when the feminists have finished torturing me for the above comment.

An arrest warrant is simply a method of finding and detaining a suspect in an on going investigation, usually in order to question him or her.

Oh, who tried to extradite Assange?

The Americans, I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

You have to hand it to them Swedes all the same - no messing about there - a quick summation of the charges and then drop them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

biko wrote: »
    He was supposed to start writing for one of the leading newspapers in Sweden.
    This has stopped that. He is also named with photo in the paper which is almost unheard of in Sweden unless you've been convicted (Swedish papers hardly ever give out personal information before a conviction).

Definitely a tabloid alright.
    http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/klick/article7652666.ab

Family Guy was right:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There is a soldier facing the death penalty for leaking video footage to wikileaks

I would correct that. He's facing a prison term, not death.

Bear in mind what it takes to get the death penalty. By way of comparison, the American citizen who took up arms against the US military (Lindh) got 20 years, and the US soldier who actively tried to aid the opposition (Anderson) got life with possibility of parole.

Manning was an idiot who knowingly broke the law, but I don't think his intent could be categorised as treasonous.

NTM

The Americans, I believe

nobody afaik

Jesus.. I just searched Wikileaks for "Ireland" and got this. Not as exciting as I had hoped.
    Ireland: Wicklow Planning concerns.

This page was set up because of the commonly held belief that there is corruption in the planning process in Co Wicklow. While the required level of proof for legal action has not been provided there is sufficient cause for concern because of the number of people who privately admit to having been asked for money or to haiving given payments for planning favours. Please do not use this page for unfounded innuendo or baseless rumour. It would be interesting to collect the experiences of people who have personally been asked for payments or who have actually given them. This would help to establish the scale of the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement