Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting - wikileaks founder accused of rape.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I always knew the inclusion of Wicklow in the map was planned corruption!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

karma_ wrote: »
    Oh, who tried to extradite Assange?

Im not sure if this came to pass, but I think the Australians tried to too, as the information he released was deemed to jepordize the lives of Australian service men. I dont know if it actually happened, or it was just talk. I dont think the Americans have sought extradition, do they even have an arrest warrant out on him? That might be a silly question, but up untill recently, he really didnt do anything illegal, he was just very annoying to the US goverment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

twat

Personal abuse doesn't get you a ban anymore? Fantastic.

Retard.

This tit has placed the lives of people in danger and doesn't give a flying ****. His "holier than thou" morality is abhorrent and he deserves to spend the rest of his life in an American jail. I hope the CIA get a hold of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

dan719 wrote: »
    Personal abuse doesn't get you a ban anymore? Fantastic.

Retard.

This tit has placed the lives of people in danger and doesn't give a flying ****. His "holier than thou" morality is abhorrent and he deserves to spend the rest of his life in an American jail. I hope the CIA get a hold of him.

Ahhh I see, you see no problem with calling a non-member a tit or a twat but as soon as it's reversed it's a problem. Right you are there.

Fantastic as right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Ahhh I see, you see no problem with calling a non-member a tit or a twat but as soon as it's reversed it's a problem. Right you are there.

Fantastic as right :)

Who said it was a problem? I didn't know that the charter had been changed so that Personal Abuse no longer got you an automatic ban.

Good job on ignoring the fact he has placed lives in danger btw.

Love how the loony left seems to take certain idiots to it's heart. At least Chomsky and the like are intelligent. This guy looks like he needs a wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Now that they have been withdrawn - Let's see those women do jail-time for character assassination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

dlofnep wrote: »
    Now that they have been withdrawn - Let's see those women do jail-time for character assassination.

Really, jail time? Also not knowing the circumstances, it seems its more a case of police incompatance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

dlofnep wrote: »

Is that a criminal offence? Sounds more like a civil action to me.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

wasting police time is what they ussally get slapped with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Looks like it's back on.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11151277
    A senior Swedish prosecutor has ordered the reopening of a rape investigation into Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

Public Prosecutions Director Marianne Ny said there was "reason to believe a crime has been committed" and that the crime was classified as rape.

Last week prosecutors cancelled an arrest warrant for Mr Assange on accusations of rape and molestation, saying he was no longer suspected.

Mr Assange denies any wrongdoing saying the accusations are "without basis".

The decision to re-open the case follows an appeal by a Swedish woman who has accused Mr Assange of raping her.

In a statement about her decision to review the case, Ms Ny said of the rape allegation that "more investigations are necessary before a final decision can be made".

She also said that an accusation of molestation - which is not a sex offence under Swedish law - against Mr Assange should be reclassified and investigated as a case of sexual coercion and sexual molestation.

The statement said Ms Ny would lead the new inquiries.

Sensitive timing

It is the second time a Swedish prosecutor has been overruled by a prosecutor of higher rank in relation to the claims against Mr Assange.

Last week the chief prosecutor for Stockholm quashed an arrest warrant which another prosecutor had pursued against Mr Assange, saying that there was no reason to suspect he had carried out the assault.

Mr Assange, a 39-year-old Australian, has suggested that the allegations are part of a smear campaign by opponents of his whistle-blowing website.

When the rape allegations first emerged, he said their appearance at a time when Wikileaks had been criticised for leaking Afghan war documents was "deeply disturbing".

In July, Wikileaks published more than 75,000 secret US military documents on the war in Afghanistan.

US authorities attacked the leak, saying it could put the lives of coalition soldiers and Afghans, especially informers, at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

In a statement about her decision to review the case, Ms Ny said of the rape allegation that "more investigations are necessary before a final decision can be made.
    Why the big announcement, can't they continue their investigation without letting the whole world know, won't it be better to carry it out away from the media spotlight? Someone is playing political football here, either the original prosecutor who dropped the charges initially or their superiors who are now so publicly reopening the case.
    She also said that an accusation of molestation - which is not a sex offence under Swedish law - against Mr Assange should be reclassified and investigated as a case of sexual coercion and sexual molestation.
    So they are moving the legal goal posts with regards this charge so they can nail him, if he did something untoward he should be punished but this seems a bit fishy to me, they seem to be going out of their way to get him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I wonder what the unofficial deal will be?

Move your main server out of our country (we not need the current hassle from the Americans!) and we will find in your favour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I believe the CIA were going to make rape claims about Saddam Hussein in order to turn the populace against him, its all documented, they never went ahead with it because it was ridiculous and wouldn't have worked owing to the situation. The FBI stated recently that Assange could expect a retaliation of some sort. I guess this is it. I find the claim to be highly dubious in this context, not impossible but something that shouldn't generate the usual rape hysteria instantly guilty verdict. The US mil/intelligence services should tighten up their security measures or behave more ethically in future rather than throwing a tantrum at someone who is exposing them for the failed humans that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I believe the CIA were going to make rape claims about Saddam Hussein in order to turn the populace against him, its all documented, they never went ahead with it because it was ridiculous and wouldn't have worked owing to the situation. The FBI stated recently that Assange could expect a retaliation of some sort. I guess this is it. I find the claim to be highly dubious in this context, not impossible but something that shouldn't generate the usual rape hysteria instantly guilty verdict.
    Somehow I don't think the Iraqis would have revolted considering it was common knowledge that his sons were raping all round them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Somehow I don't think the Iraqis would have revolted considering it was common knowledge that his sons were raping all round them.

yar, and also for the fact that any revolt would have been crushed anyway.

Very true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's interesting the Australian Intelligence services warned him that something like this was in the offing, considering both the Australian and American intelligence services are said to be close.
    If it is a CIA smear, it's surprising the Swedes would be in on it. He maybe guilty of wrongdoing, but it looks too suspicious the fact the file was closed and suddenly has been reopened again. In such a high-profile case it's hard to believe a piece of evidence would have been overlooked or that something new came to light. It definitely seems like the Swedes are being leaned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Would the Swedish authorities really do themselves the disservice of making such a big deal about a non-issue?

Would the Swedish authorities really do themselves the disservice of making such a big deal about a non-issue?
    If it got possible pressure of America off their backs?
    The lesser of two evils they might choose.

• Advertisement

dan719 wrote: »
    ...the loony left...

:rolleyes:

Sounds like a cowboy prosecutor out to make a name for himself.
    Well you have to ask yourself why they'd go off, twice, on a smear
    campaign. They'd already lost credibility for the way they handled this
    at the beginning and now they're at it again.

"She also said that an accusation of molestation - which is not a sex offence under Swedish law - against Mr Assange should be reclassified "
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11151277

This is a smear campaign, they have accused him of something, sorry,
    the Swedish authorities have accused him of something, twice, that
    isn't against the law
    . What kind of behaviour is this? These people should
    be held accountable for taking advantage of their position.

Even if it is found to be true how the hell could they go off on a slander
    campaign like this? Even the woman involved recognises the molestation
    charge is bogus... Either incompetence at it's finest or a rushed slander
    campaign to satisfy the request of people who'd benefit from something
    like this happening...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

This is a smear campaign, they have accused him of something, sorry,
    the Swedish authorities have accused him of something, twice, that
    isn't against the law.

You might want to reread that. Molestation is still an offence, it's just not categorised as a sex offence. Hence the comment that they were looking at re-classifying the charges as something which are sex offences. I presume it's down to an issue of what the prosecutor thinks he/she can prove in court.

NTM

Assange – who has denied both accusations – is still suspected of
    molesting a woman on August 13, but molestation is not a sex crime under
    Swedish law,said Karin Rosander, a spokeswoman for the Swedish
    Prosecution Authority.

It covers a wide range of offences, including reckless conduct or
    inappropriate physical contact with another adult, and can result in fines or
    up to one year in prison.
    Sweden's chief prosecutor Eva Finne formally closed another case involving
    a woman who claimed Assange had raped her. Finne had dismissed the
    rape charge over the weekend, and recalled a short-lived arrest warrant,
    before deciding on Wednesday that the case couldn't be prosecuted as
    any other type of sex crime either.

The point I mas trying to make was that My Name is Url's question about
    the Swedish authorities doing themselves a disservice is totally possible
    seeing as they choose to mismanage things like they did at the start.
    They also shouldn't have went public about all this
    While Swedish prosecutors don’t normally reveal the names of suspects,
    Assange’s name was leaked to Swedish media.
    “According to Swedish law they have to shut up,” Silbersky said.
    “They are not allowed to talk to the media like they did.
    I think it is a crime by the prosecutor who did it.”

But I was wrong about the Law thing, thanks for catching it :D

Advertisement