Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens when a CPU goes above it's recommended temperature limit?

Options
  • 21-08-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

I know on my Phenom II X2 550 the limit is 62, during OCCT, it once reached 63 when OC'd to 3.8 gHz at 1.5V, what can happen when it goes above the limit?

EDIT: Max temp is apparently 70, my mistake. Question still stands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I know that some CPUs underclock themselves at a certain temperature, but most will shutdown at some limit - not that you should be keeping it close to this temperature as you'll end up doing long term damage.

You can sometimes set the shutdown temperature in the BIOS, BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Monotype wrote: »
    I know that some CPUs underclock themselves at a certain temperature, but most will shutdown at some limit - not that you should be keeping it close to this temperature as you'll end up doing long term damage.

You can sometimes set the shutdown temperature in the BIOS, BTW.

Ah thanks for that.

I found a way to keep the CPU voltage .025 V lower, which lowers temps by about 5 degrees.

I raised the NB voltage by .1V :)

Still learning more about overclocking as I go, but I've got the gist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,266 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The limit is 62?

I thought for most PCs the limit was 100. At which point the BIOS shuts the system down by immediately cutting power.

Nah the recommended limit by AMD is 70C, I was wondering what happens if you go above that.

Anyway some update on my OC'ing, I have it set at 3.6 gHz (a .5gHz OC) On stock volts :)

I was wondering what happens if you go above that.
    Well, on the older CPUs at least...

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Well, on the older CPUs at least...

aww, I was hoping the AMD ones would explode.

Well my old AMD shut down at 100 I think. That was when I was trying to play Doom 3 on the Geforce 4 MX 440. Upgrade took care of that, but still. BIOS saved my chipset.

I thought you were going to post the exploding duron video (known fake).

That was back in the day when tom's had some decent videos. You need to watch your old AMDs. Didn't they have a video as well about a Pentium 4 560 that went up in smoke?

Edit: actually there was nothing interesting about that video apart from that P4s were crap and I've got a reasonably good memory.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Pretty sure that vid was fake too, the "stock" cooler looks like the later model from a C2Q (copper core, curved bifurcated ribs). IIRC Netburst and the Pentium Ds still had the old stock cooler (copper core, straight trifurcated ribs). And... only use the stock cooler?! Worst. Conclusion. EVER.

Solitaire wrote: »
    And... only use the stock cooler?! Worst. Conclusion. EVER.

I was looking at that myself and thinking WTF? Maybe tom's was never good, but it was their 5ghz video that originally pushed me into overclocking. Before that, I had heard that it was only possible on old processors.
    Solitaire wrote: »
    Pretty sure that vid was fake too, the "stock" cooler looks like the later model from a C2Q (copper core, curved bifurcated ribs).

The video was posted 6 months (on youtube, probably a lot older than that - says 2004) before the C2Qs were released - and a few days before the C2Ds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Still, looks damn hinky. And I love the Toms video - nice proof that a) they were always shilly sellout scum, and b) they always catered predominantly to the kind of PC user who was thick enough to rip off the CPU cooler for lulz :pac:

And IIRC the CPU temp limit and core temp limit are seperate - individual cores get hotter than the backside of the IHS ;)

Advertisement