Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Lucozade

Options
  • 21-08-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Have to give up the stuff, its killing me.:(

Im addicted to original lucozade. Usually drink 2/3 bottles a day every day. Its kind of like a coffee addiction but worse. Gave it up a few years ago as it was giving me serious stomach cramps & wrecking my sleeping pattern but i went back on the stuff earlier this year.

As of monday im off it....permanently. Its just bad for everything, teeth, stomach, sleep. It'l be sparkling water from now on.:mad:

Anybody else a Lucoholic?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thank Christ!

I thought this was going to be a post that Lucozade was being cancelled!

Not a lucoholic, but I do love the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

syklops wrote: »
    Thank Christ!

I thought this was going to be a post that Lucozade was being cancelled!

Not a lucoholic, but I do love the stuff.

Ah the memories.....

Come back from a jog, thirst like a camel. Straight to fridge, grab lucozade. Pint glass, loads of ice......i can't talk about it anymore, im getting emotional.....:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love Lucozade. I used to drink loads of it. I stopped when someone close to me was diagnosed with diabetes. Good thing too, because a nurse told me that there are 23 sugar cubes in a bottle. Still, I'd love an ice cold bottle of it now.

janeybabe wrote: »
    I love Lucozade. I used to drink loads of it. I stopped when someone close to me was diagnosed with diabetes. Good thing too, because a nurse told me that there are 23 sugar cubes in a bottle. Still, I'd love an ice cold bottle of it now.

Yeah its delicious poison.:(

I started drinking it by the bucket load after i gave up cigarettes about 5 years ago. Just replaced one addiction with another.

Btw about the sugar content. I often have a mars bar with my lucozade.:eek: Think i might have low sugar levels or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucozade
    One bottle (500ml) of Lucozade Original typically contains 21 teaspoons of sugar (85g), which has led to media criticism regarding the public's health.
    Energy drink contains energy shocker!

500ml of skimmed milk or carrot juice would have ~25g of sugar
    500ml of apple juice or orange juice or coke would have ~55g.

• Advertisement

Yeah, people seem to think that juices are much better than soft drinks. I stick with Coke Zero these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When I saw the thread title I reacted :eek:
    I thought it was being taken off the market

The more I drink the more I wanted.
    I suppose if you suddenly stop the sugary drinks you start craving them.
    And I definitely went through craving Lucozade when I stopped.

Maybe cut down and then give up, it ain't easy, good luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

go on a last night binge session. straight down to the shop with ya. you've 2 hours before monday starts..leg it!

Maybe cut down and then give up, it ain't easy, good luck OP

Thanks. I wish i could. For me when i give something up i just go all out & completely give it up. All or nothing type strategy.
    Nozebleed wrote: »
    go on a last night binge session. straight down to the shop with ya. you've 2 hours before monday starts..leg it!

Had my last bottle after dinner, ice cold amber nectar. But thats it, its all over between me & lucozade. We've split up for good. Its delicious poison. But poison none the less.

Coke zero, 7up free or fizzy water from now on.:(

You're just addidicted to the sugar OP

Oh boy, you're in for some serious cravings this week :p

If you can hack it for a week or 10 days you'll be grand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

i'm mad into the cans,oh jesus the thoughts of it,tomorrow for lunch i'm having my usual breckie sambo on doorstep toast with sausage meat instead of normal sausage and 2 small cans of Luco,time for bed,i am an addict,i admit it

heavyballs wrote: »
    2 small cans of Luco,time for bed,i am an addict,i admit it

jesus the cans, they were my favourite.....please stop.:(

Why don't they have diet/zero sugar lucozade?:D

:D You can get Lucozade Sport Lite that has only 1g of sugar in it but that's as close as you're going to get I'd say and I don't think it's sold here. It's not the same anyway.

I never liked the cans. From my rigorous taste testing (:pac:) I found that it went cans < large bottle < big bottle < normal bottle.

Because it would taste like sh/t.

The man who goes on Dragons Den and invents calorie free Lucozade is an instant multi millionaire :D

The man who goes on Dragons Den and invents calorie free Lucozade is an instant multi millionaire :D
    He'd be laughed out of the place, thats like inventing alcohol free vodka!

They have low sugar ones for hydration.

rubadub wrote: »

Your missing the point, its not about hydration, its about taste.

Its more like inventing Vodka that does not give you a hangover, no matter how much you drink.

Another money spinner if it was invented.

Your missing the point, its not about hydration, its about taste.
    And you are missing my point, it is primarily a energy drink, i.e. supposed to supply lots of calories, taste is secondary for most people I know who drink lucozade. And like vodka most drink it to get pissed, taste is secondary though I expect some do like the taste of good vodka and might appreciate a low alcohol version, just like some might appreciate a low calorie "high calorie drink".
    Its more like inventing Vodka that does not give you a hangover, no matter how much you drink.
    Every hear of Skyy vodka, its the closest you will get to this! it was developed as a minimal hangover vodka, though I think advertising laws might prevent them from advertising it as such.

http://www.askmen.com/entertainment/special_feature_300/337_hangovers-5-things-you-didnt-know.html
    3- The ATF shut down a vodka maker’s “hangover-free” ad campaign
    In 1992, Tom Vanderbilt, writing in the sorely missed critical journal The Baffler, took issue with newly introduced SKYY Vodka, which ran an ad campaign pitching their vodka as being hangover-free, a spirit promising all the fun of getting hammered without the messiness of the morning after. Vanderbilt, who referred to hangovers as "the drinker's spiritual pilgrimage back to good health," reviled the ads as appealing to our base desire to want something for nothing.

He wasn't the only one to take offense to this attractive offer: the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) didn't like it either, and forced SKYY to stop openly making the claim.

I have distilled my own alcohol, it is easy enough to get it pretty much congener free -meaning less hangover, though of course it does nothing to stop dehydration. Producers just do it the cheap way and let you suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I have distilled my own alcohol

Isn't that illegal?:D Pretty cool though.

And you are missing my point, it is primarily a energy drink, i.e. supposed to supply lots of calories, taste is secondary for most people I know who drink lucozade. And like vodka most drink it to get pissed, taste is secondary though I expect some do like the taste of good vodka and might appreciate a low alcohol version, just like some might appreciate a low calorie "high calorie drink".

Every hear of Skyy vodka, its the closest you will get to this! it was developed as a minimal hangover vodka, though I think advertising laws might prevent them from advertising it as such.

http://www.askmen.com/entertainment/special_feature_300/337_hangovers-5-things-you-didnt-know.html

I have distilled my own alcohol, it is easy enough to get it pretty much congener free -meaning less hangover, though of course it does nothing to stop dehydration. Producers just do it the cheap way and let you suffer.

I get that its an energy drink, but unlike most of the people you know who drink it for its calories, most people I know drink it because it tastes great, myself included. Not surprising, considering your a Mod of Diet and Nutrition, I assume you are into fitness and I assume the people in your circle are as well.

I and the OP, would happily drink it in large quantities because it tastes so good, but dont/cant because of its high calorie content..

Same way with good vodka(and being a whiskey drinker, same for whiskey), I would happily drink it in large quantities, if it didnt make me really pissed, and give me hangovers(when I drink, my aim is not to get drunk, my aim is to drink things I like the taste of).

The alcohol you made, it might have been low in congeners, but did it taste good? If not, why bother? Just drink regular alcohol in moderation and have a large glass of water going to bed and you should be grand.

Feelingstressed's point was that if someone could make lucozade, taste the way it does, but have a small calorie count he would but it, and he probably knows others who would as well.

I understand that you don't see the point in a low calorie drink that tastes good, because that's not why you drink it.

• Advertisement

And you are missing my point, it is primarily a energy drink, i.e. supposed to supply lots of calories, taste is secondary for most people I know who drink lucozade.

Well as mod of this forum you probably have a lot of knowledge fitness wise and on nutrition.
    And you are correct that Lucozade is a high energy drink.

But realy, most people drink it for its fantastic taste. If you see schoolkids buying it on their lunch break they drink it as it tastes great and not for nutrition need.
    If it was calorie free I'd drink a lot more of it.

Anyway, skylops explained it far better then I can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Maybe it's like the taste of cigarettes, one might have a favourite brand and prefer their taste but if they found a way to get rid of the nicotene you might get tired of the taste because it isn't accompainied by a hit anymore.

It's quite possible that people like the taste of lucoade because it's associated with the physiological response of the caffeine (lucozade has caffeine, right?) and the massive sugar rush. If the made a virtuous version you might go "I used to like the taste, but now I'm sick of it".

Never was a big fan of lucozade myself, think it tastes like... coins. I guess it has a coppery note. It being all glucose-sweetened is strange as well when you're used to sugar.

(not trying to slight anyone for liking it btw)

I don't think its one bit silly actually. Quite the opposite in fact. If there was such a thing as low/zero sugar original lucozade (that was low in calories) i'd be the first to buy it.

For me its 100% about the taste, couldn't care less about the energy giving qualities. The reason im giving it up is because its ridiculouly high in sugar & has a very high calorie count. If they can sort that out i'd be back on it in the morning.:D

If theres a sugar free version of Red Bull, why not have sugar free Lucozade?

red-bull-free-1.jpg

I'm taking it to Dragons Den, hands off and get your own idea! :pac:

I'm taking it to Dragons Den, hands off and get your own idea! :pac:

Ahemmm....take a look at post #13!!!!:D

I'd say its a matter of time till they see sense. I reckon there'd be huge demand for sugar free lucozade.

Advertisement