Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Community Radio

• 21-08-2010 2:08pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just proposed a new sub forum for the radio forum. I was just wondering would there be enough support for Community Radio as it seems to be taking off here in Ireland.

I know there is a ton of issues that could be covered regarding setting up a station and station identity. Any opinions on the thought as I know some people may find such a forum useful, but would there be a need for one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Interesting article about the state of Community Radio in Australia where there are more community stations than commercial stations. Anybody who has listened to 2SER in Sydney or 3RRR in Melbourne will be able to attest to the quality of these stations.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/community-broadcasters-tune-into-the-future-20100813-122rv.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

There's not too many real Community stations here but those that are are working similarly to the model as detailed in that article. Community stations are a vital service for many rural areas as well as being a fantastic training ground for new radio presenters. Some of Today's 'name' presenters had their starts in Community radio.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'm in Community Radio myself and I think it's great craic and as you said it's a great starting place for aspiring presenters and DJs. The amount of freedom given with respect to programming, within limits, is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

The amount of freedom given with respect to programming, within limits, is excellent.
    Which is why Community stations are producing some of the most creative and original programming in Ireland today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Exactly, and that's why I love it. Me and a mate used to host a drive time show (How original :D), but it used to be some craic shíte talking with each other and listeners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement