Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Bipod

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

dont think it would hold up to much, the are usually cheap for a reason, if you want a bipod both not at the cost of a harris get a deben, i have one on my rifle its good and solid

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭widespread

I wouldn't buy the 6-9 bipod either, It's very seldom you will use the 6 inch. I would go 9 - 13. Has more practical uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have seen the same one in a soft-gun shop @€;45 and it looked and felt to be a cone of the Harris from China.
    Felt OK to me and I'll be looking at getting one if it checks out to be as good as the Harris.

i have been thinking of getting a big bipod for my rifle, i have a 9-13, anyone use any bigger ones like 13-23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

jap gt wrote: »
    i have been thinking of getting a big bipod for my rifle, i have a 9-13, anyone use any bigger ones like 13-23

I have a 13-23 on my .270 and find it very useful. The reason I opted to get a long bipod was with a 9-13 I found the first thing I done everytime I was using it to take a shot was extend it to 13 to clear grass or whatever.

When extended out fully it is at a perfect height for taking a shot sitting on your a**e! Again this is very useful as many areas on my permissions have undergrowth which would render a normal bipod useless as it wouldn't clear it!

• Advertisement

patsat wrote: »
    I have a 13-23 on my .270 and find it very useful. The reason I opted to get a long bipod was with a 9-13 I found the first thing I done everytime I was using it to take a shot was extend it to 13 to clear grass or whatever.

When extended out fully it is at a perfect height for taking a shot sitting on your a**e! Again this is very useful as many areas on my permissions have undergrowth which would render a normal bipod useless as it wouldn't clear it!

my land is very over grown in places so i think it would suit, is it very sturdy when extended to 23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

patsat wrote: »

I have a 9-13 and a 13-23. i use one summer and the other winter.
    If you want a long range shot the lower you can get your body and rifle parallel with the ground the more accurate your shot will be.
    the smallest Bipod comes into it's own on a bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

i've got a 13-23 on my rifle, gives me the ability to sit up beside the ditch with the rifle in front of me and the shotgun across my lap so if a fox comes up close from the side when i'm calling i can easily work the shotgun without having to scramble up off the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

my land is very over grown in places so i think it would suit, is it very sturdy when extended to 23

At 23 I find it very sturdy,it's too high to lie down when shooting but ideal to sit up, longest shot was a 275 yards fox at night and I had the bipod at 23 sitting at the side of a passage way!

But as tack said the lower the bipod the more sturdy a shot!

You could always just save your money and get out the slash hook!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

I have a Rock Ridge bipod 9-13 on my rifle and find it fine, it cost about €30/€40

I'd be interested in the 13- 23 bipod because as you say you can sit in a ditch and be able to shoot from a shooting position.

I'd like to take the shotgun out when out with the rifle as the feckin crows always seem to know which one you have out with you :) but I'd be afraid that people might think I look like John Rambo with the camo, Rifle on back and Shotgun up front.
    My shotgun ( Baikel 0/0 ) only got used about 3 times in the past 2 years :mad:

Do many people take both guns out at same time?

Mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I have a harris 9-13 myself, but at 12 pound it be ok on a lr or something. One to remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

mac80 wrote: »
    I have a Rock Ridge bipod 9-13 on my rifle and find it fine, it cost about €30/€40

I'd be interested in the 13- 23 bipod because as you say you can sit in a ditch and be able to shoot from a shooting position.

I'd like to take the shotgun out when out with the rifle as the feckin crows always seem to know which one you have out with you :) but I'd be afraid that people might think I look like John Rambo with the camo, Rifle on back and Shotgun up front.

Mac

Only ever bring one firearm as I crawl through ditches etc.

The tall Bipod is generally used on bigger targets eg stalking deer etc.

It does not offer as much stability than in the prone position.

The rule of tumb is teh lower you are the more accuracy you are able to achieve.

The sloted legs on the mid sized bipod are muct better than the long smooth legs.

Although in winter the long legs are the job as you do not have to lie down in a flood to shoot.

That's why my advice would be buy both for winter/summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

...... but I'd be afraid that people might think I look like John Rambo with the camo, Rifle on back and Shotgun up front....

feck what people think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Mac
    I often take both the shotgun and the 223 or 22wmr if blasting mags or grey. Handy have both, once I'm postioned, I dont do too much walkin thereafter so the extra weight is not really a problem

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

kay 9 wrote: »

I seen these advertised over a year ago and decided to buy one as a "test". They are of decent quality, but only from a looks and feel perspective. I never could fit it to a rifle to test it.

It does not have the traditional "clamping" method applied by all other manufacturers. Instead you must screw it into the rifle where the QD stud would normally be. My problem with this other than the obvious is if the forend stock is shallow then there is the chance it, the tensioning screw of the bipod, will make contact with the barrel prior to tightening the bipod to the stock.

Best advice is to steer clear. As jap gt said if they are cheap it is so because of good reason.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

kay 9 wrote: »
    i'd go for it let me know if it's any good if you go to a gun shop and have a look at a bi-pod it will say made in china anyway. i have a mate who got of ebay or another site like that and his bi-pod was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

lee70 wrote: »
    i'd go for it let me know if it's any good if you go to a gun shop and have a look at a bi-pod it will say made in china anyway. i have a mate who got of ebay or another site like that and his bi-pod was ok

If youre buying one of these of the bay or elsewhere just make sure its one of the harris clones which attaches directly to the sling swivel stud and not the type linked above.

They cost 30-50€ delivered depending on model.

Ive had one on a 22 for about 4yrs...does exactly as says on the box but at a fraction of the price of a harris. Didnt get a whole lot of abuse though.

Theyre all made in china but get rebranded under various brand names this side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

I have the large 23"" Harris and 6-9" Harris.

Generaly only use the small one for zeroing.

Big one is on the .17 nearly all the time, out afer bunnies or foxes can easily walk around with 2 legs down and drop to the ground in a second for a shot :D

If I'm stalking on farmland I sometimes bring the big one, but it fouls the mod so have to mount it backwards, and gets in the way if using sticks for a shot !!

TBH i'd stay away from neting thats made in China, if you want it to last neway :-) Go for a swivel Deben 13-23 "

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Goosie wrote: »
    If youre buying one of these of the bay or elsewhere just make sure its one of the harris clones which attaches directly to the sling swivel stud and not the type linked above.

They cost 30-50€ delivered depending on model.

Ive had one on a 22 for about 4yrs...does exactly as says on the box but at a fraction of the price of a harris. Didnt get a whole lot of abuse though.

Theyre all made in china but get rebranded under various brand names this side of the world.
    just had another look at the ebay pic and it looke like it screws in where the stud is so i'd now say leave well aloan

tfox wrote: »
    I have the large 23"" Harris and 6-9" Harris.

Generaly only use the small one for zeroing.

Big one is on the .17 nearly all the time, out afer bunnies or foxes can easily walk around with 2 legs down and drop to the ground in a second for a shot :D

If I'm stalking on farmland I sometimes bring the big one, but it fouls the mod so have to mount it backwards, and gets in the way if using sticks for a shot !!

TBH i'd stay away from neting thats made in China, if you want it to last neway :-) Go for a swivel Deben 13-23 "

Wonder where are Deben manufactured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Goosie wrote: »
    Wonder where are Deben manufactured.
    Could well be Chinese but at least if you have a fault you dont have to deal with someone other side of the planet who doesnt speak English !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads just to clarify.

The bipod i got seems to be of the same material, same build quality and has all the extras that Harris and Deben have, simply at a much cheaper cost.

The only point of concern i have is the way it attachs to the rifle. By a screw and not a "clamping" method. If this could be addressed it would be a perfectly good bipod for the money.

I think this all goes back to Harris. If i'm not too wrong here, they held the patent on the bipod for years so no others could manufacture a similar product and when the patent rn out all othe manufacturers jumped into action and now they can produce them at much larger quantities and hence less cost.

I think if you have a bipod and its broken or damaged, rather than buy a new one for €50 - €120 you could buy this one and repair the old one
    using parts from the cheap one.

Just a thought.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

tfox wrote: »
    Could well be Chinese but at least if you have a fault you dont have to deal with someone other side of the planet who doesnt speak English !!

Yeah have to agree with you there T but they do charge approx double for the service.

Advertisement