Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junior Dos Santos

• 21-08-2010 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭

Feel free to have a go at me for this opinion as admitedly I could be very wrong but I'm of the opinion that Dos Santos has more knockout power than Carwin. I suppose my theory has massive holes in it because none of Dos Santos's strikes knocked out Nelson but heres the thing, he never really went for that big KO punch. He seems to go for accuracy and speed over power but if he adopted Shane Carwins approach of going for massive hits I reckon we would see a lot more straight KOs from him. Hes by far the best boxer in the HW division so surely its not unreasonable to think that he would have the best technique and would be capable of delivering the strongest punch?

I was just wondering what hes like on the ground because I've never really seen him on the ground?

Yes I am not the most informed fan, go easy...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Good old blunt force, Carwin

Clean punches at speed goes to Dos santos

Personally i think Dos santos is the more dangerous of the 2 when up against a decent striker.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

No doubt he has better technique than Carwin, but more power than him? Its difficult to judge since they have been both knocking dudes out left right and centre. Although Carwins TKO of Mir was impressive. He was rocked by short uppercuts inside a clinch. There was little or no wind-up on them at all and he still he crumpled Mir. But what makes JDS so special is his technique + power its really exciting to watch. I cant think of any HW in and outside of UFC that would stand with JDS and not get wreaked, maybe Overeem? Fedor? Velasquez?

His ground game has yet to be proven as you said, but we will see in his next fight how it goes against someone who will most liking take him down, Cain or Brock.

I think JDS would have a harder time against Cain than Brock. Cain would be able to stand with him to a certain degree and most likely be able to take JDS down and beat him up on the ground. Brock's stand up on the other hand is woeful to be honest, he looks slow and uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

No doubt he has better technique than Carwin, but more power than him? Its difficult to judge since they have been both knocking dudes out left right and centre. Although Carwins TKO of Mir was impressive. He was rocked by short uppercuts inside a clinch. There was little or no wind-up on them at all and he still he crumpled Mir. But what makes JDS so special is his technique + power its really exciting to watch. I cant think of any HW in and outside of UFC that would stand with JDS and not get wreaked, maybe Overeem? Fedor? Velasquez?

His ground game has yet to be proven as you said, but we will see in his next fight how it goes against someone who will most liking take him down, Cain or Brock.

I think JDS would have a harder time against Cain than Brock. Cain would be able to stand with him to a certain degree and most likely be able to take JDS down and beat him up on the ground. Brock's stand up on the other hand is woeful to be honest, he looks slow and uncomfortable.

But surely if Dos Santos trains with Nogueira and Silva then his ground game is probably very good? Also have any fighters attempted to take him down or has it simply not happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

TheTMO wrote: »
    But surely if Dos Santos trains with Nogueira and Silva then his ground game is probably very good? Also have any fighters attempted to take him down or has it simply not happened?

I think he's a purple and trains in Alliance a lot. So he'd have a pretty high level. But it is more about how you adapt your ground game to MMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

TheTMO wrote: »

Most of his fights in the UFC have been against other strikers bar Werdum and Struve, both of which he finished within a minute. I think Gonzaga actually got him to the ground but couldnt keep him there and JDS sprang back up. Nelson tried and failed to take him down also. Thats why a fight against a "pure" wrestler will be interesting cause its kinda uncharted territory for JDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Junior Dos Santos is fast becoming my favourite fighter. Such a pleasure to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd say Dos Santos is better than Carwin, but Cain beats them both, And Brock beats them all

Can honestly say that i've not been this excited about the HW division in a LOOOOOOOOONG time

Advertisement