Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finished with nappies!

Options
  • 21-08-2010 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Sorry, I'm so excited I just had to start a thread on Boards about this!

After 9 and a half years, I never have to buy another nappy (unless it's for somebody else's baby). My youngest is nearly 4 and has been toilet-trained since 24 months, but was still wearing a nappy at night. Then I found out her younger cousin has been dry at night since she was 2.5 yo, so I decided there was no more nappies!

DD was reluctant to go without nappy at night, but quickly got used to the idea. I had been lifting her out of bed at midnight but now she's sleeping right through and keeping dry.

Now I'm going to work on getting her to part with her soother!

I'd love to hear from all of you that have achieved landmarks in your childrearing you are proud of!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

on my first, nearly 5 weeks old. everything i manage to do is an achievement, I'm a pretty panic-y dad :o

Gave my daughter a bath all by myself yesterday. was very proud of me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

RedXIV wrote: »
    on my first, nearly 5 weeks old. everything i manage to do is an achievement, I'm a pretty panic-y dad :o

Gave my daughter a bath all by myself yesterday. was very proud of me :D
    Congratulations on your new daughter, RedIV and well done to yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My guy is 3.5 and still in nappies at night.

My other son was dry at night at 3.5

My young lady was day time dry at 18months and night a 2.

I cant wait to get him out of nappies but he will do it in his own time, i do get a dry nappy in the morning occasionally so look likes somethings happening in that regard.

I cant wait to get him out of nappies but he will do it in his own time, i do get a dry nappy in the morning occasionally so look likes somethings happening in that regard.

It sounds like you're nearly at my status grindelwald:D! They're all so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Is it an old wives tale or are boys really harder to train then girls???
    I am convinced I am having a boy this time (not going to find out its just gut instinct) and I am dreading the whole nappy saga again :(

• Advertisement

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I am convinced I am having a boy this time (not going to find out its just gut instinct) and I am dreading the whole nappy saga again :(

Angelfire, in my case the reverse was true. My son was fully trained (day and night) at 2.5, older daughter at 3.5 (not dry at night until 7!) and younger daughter while the earliest trained has only just achieved the dry at night status at 3 and three quarters! I found my son the easiest to train.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My little one is almost 4, she has been out of nappies since 2.5 and we just got rid of her soother too which I am delighted about. It was so much easier than we expected, no nappies, no soothers just a normal little person with no extra requirements, no strings attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I have 3 girls and the eldest was by far the best at it, she was out of nappies by her 2nd birthday, my next daughter was done by her 3rd birthday and the other is 7 months and wears aldis best :D
    Never did the whole nappies at night time, I use to just bring them in to the toilet when I was going to bed. We got the odd wet sheet but not many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Congratulations, it's wonderful when it happens.
    I remember being so glad to no longer have the huge tub of sudocream hanging around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

O I cant wait to get to the other side of that hurdle. He's starting pre/play school tomorrow and Im just going to send him in with underpants and pray it clicks for him in there.

• Advertisement

Have you told those who will be caring for him that he is not completely toilet trained?
    Will you provide a clean change of clothes including socks?
    I think you may end up with him being very upset if he wets himself on the first day,
    esp of the other children take issue with it.

I guess I think as parents we should be setting our kids up to succeed and to make things which are big steps and changes for them to be easy and not possibly more tramatic.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Have you told those who will be caring for him that he is not completely toilet trained?
    Will you provide a clean change of clothes including socks?
    I think you may end up with him being very upset if he wets himself on the first day,
    esp of the other children take issue with it.

I guess I think as parents we should be setting our kids up to succeed and to make things which are big steps and changes for them to be easy and not possibly more tramatic.

Yes mommy. I did all of that. The told me to send him in anyway.

Sorry can't help myself some times :)
    Could be that postive re enforcement from other adults and seeing other kids be big kids and use the potty could be the back up you need and the encouragement he needs.

Sorry can't help myself some times :)
    Could be that postive re enforcement from other adults and seeing other kids be big kids and use the potty could be the back up you need and the encouragement he needs.

Well, that's what they seem to think. I wasn't going to start him for the exactly the same reasons in your previous post, but they seemed to think they could work with him through it and when he sees other kids he will. But I know that he is going to wet himself and I will have to send him in with four or five changes of clothes. I just dont understand why he can do it commando but not with clothes on. On top of that he is shy around other kids and I do worry that it might be all too much for him in the beginning. But at the same time life cant stall forever for this. He is three and two months.

I then started making him take his clothes off himself and put his dry clothes on himself, which of course takes ages and takes time out from stuff he would rather be doing. I thought this might work as a motivator. So far it hasn't worked. I really do not know what else to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My friend's little boy refused to toilet train - in that he could certainly do it when pestered but just seemed to choose to wet himself instead of going to the loo of his own volition until he watched my wee man and a couple of other friends going to the loo and whatever mental block or fear he'd had just dissipated - seeing the others go to the loo could be just what he needs, metro. :cool:

We had a set of pants with a cartoon frog on them.
    The frog likes being wet with water but not being wet with wee, so it wasn't nice to get the poor frog wet wtih wee, so the kids would rush to the potty and the loo as not to wee on the poor frog.

Awww! Poor frog!

We had a painted cork and every time he hit a sticker on the back of the loo with the cork by peeing at it, he got a sweetie. Bribery and corruption ftw. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Dubstar07

Well, as someone mentioned earlier, all kids are diffferent!!

Our lil girl, just turned 3 and has been potty training for about 2 months still hasn't got it! We've tried about all we can think of, not reacting, giving out stink, every 30 mins......none of it seems to matter. She just will not put herself on the toilet or potty in time.

We reckon she knows full well it's there but just refuses to act. Doesn't like the wet underwear but is happy when no.2 arrives to stay with it!

Glad others faired better than us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

I'd also heard that boys were much harder to train than girls, but our son was completely trained (dry both day and night) at 21 months, after a week of dedicated instruction (nothing on below the waist, and lots of patience and Thomas the Tank stickers).

I'd been expecting to see him in diapers until he was closer to 3 based on what I'd heard other parents and developmental experts say, so this was a pleasant surprise for me, and taught me something about pre-programming his milestones.

My mother claims I was potty trained at 14 months and my brother took way way way longer. Given the way he keeps his bathroom nowadays, I reckon he is still not potty trained!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

My mother claims I was potty trained at 14 months and my brother took way way way longer. Given the way he keeps his bathroom nowadays, I reckon he is still not potty trained!

:D I had mini-me trained at 18 months

I had considered getting the hubby involved in training no.2 (if it is a boy) but on second thoughts knowing the state of our bathrooms at present I think I might reconsider that idea! :P

:D I had mini-me trained at 18 months

I had considered getting the hubby involved in training no.2 (if it is a boy) but on second thoughts knowing the state of our bathrooms at present I think I might reconsider that idea! :P

Yes indeed. When my son does make it to the potty. We include the whole shabang. He learns to clean himself. Flush. Wash his hands. And not leave a mess!

Well modern nappies when wet are a lot more comfortable then wet heavy terry cloth nappies. I reckon that could play a factor in why a generation or two ago kids were potty trained by the time they were two, a heavy wet nappy is going to get in the way when you've important learning to do like chasing the cat, climbing the book shelf and pulling everything out of presses and jumping on the arm chairs.

Well modern nappies when wet are a lot more comfortable then wet heavy terry cloth nappies. I reckon that could play a factor in why a generation or two ago kids were potty trained by the time they were two, a heavy wet nappy is going to get in the way when you've important learning to do like chasing the cat, climbing the book shelf and pulling everything out of presses and jumping on the arm chairs.

That would make sense. Although we were in the US back then and pampers were on the market.

A friend of mine suggested waiting till winter when they get wet and cold and leave them in their wet clothes and refuse to change him. Thats what she had to do with her son.

But still the disposable nappies to day are very much improved on those back then.

I used cloth nappies almost exclusively and while my son hated the feel of even a slightly wet nappy and was trained night and day at 26 months, my daughter would merrily sit in a wet or dirty nappy without a second thought - she didn't train until she was nearly three, nights took much longer and she's still prone to having the odd accident - I think a lot depends on the child but the clothies probably do speed things up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Agent S

I have a 4 year old little dude and thought I had managed to finish up with the nappies at night but put him to bed the other evening and before he went to sleep he wet the bed. He was sitting up reading a book!! He didn't really have an explaination that made sense and I didn't make to much of a big deal out of it. Then he wet the bed the next night in his sleep. He's not great with change and we just got a new puppy that he loves but I think that might be it. Weird!

I am very excited to say that we have made huge progress here and are nearly completely nappy free [except car trips and night time].

Thank you very much for the extra tips. The one about not getting a character wet on the underpants really triggered something. I am so delighted.

Advertisement