Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have any advice for first time traveler to australia??

Options
  • 21-08-2010 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hey guys,just wanted to leave a quick post, i plan to head over to australia late september/oct for a year , working/holliday visa. I think ill either head elbourn or Sydney, i dont know to much about either city though so any help would be great. id love to hear what each is like what kind of people i would come to expect in them that sort of thing, night life all that jazz. Also very important work, i plan to work there to help fund the trip do people know whats the best way of going about getting a job, should i orginise this before i head over ?!

Accomation is another big one, are hostels the way to go or should i be looking at renting with other poeple? only problem with that is im heading over on my own so i dont know anybody to rent with?! im pretty blank here as to where i should begin, if anyone has any advice please let me know. Or if anyone is heading over at the time let me know what you have planed, give me an idea what i should be doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hi - 10 years from i was in sydney but i hope this helps a bit.

Try to rent as it is cheaper than a hostel. Check out gumtree, check out backpacker places, hostel notice boards, local papers ask in bars etc.

Register with as many recruitment agencies as possible. I did this and rang building companies in the phone book. Again gumtree, hostel notice boards, asking in bars etc.

You will have a great time i hope - going on your own means you will have to be pro-active and really force yourself out of your comfort zone but if you are up for it then you can have a brilliant time.

I really wish you all the best - not a day goes past that i don't think of sydney and the great time i had there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

• Buy plane ticket
    • Arrive in big city
    • Go to hostel
    • Sleep
    • Go get tax number
    • Go find work
    • On finding work look for room in shared house near work
    • Work - party - save
    • Travel see Oz
    • Return to Ireland annoy friends with tales of Oz

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

it will be one of the best experiences you ever have. i was there in 2004 for the year, everyday since i think about it , be great to go back. so enjoy youself dont work to hard....!! and travel and see as much of oz as u can its a amazing country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

dont drop the soap

Advertisement