Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Magnet?

• 21-08-2010 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I'm switching BB and phone providers soon, I've heard lots of mixed things about Magnet broadband.

Opinions/experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Mediator wrote: »
    Stay away. I wouldn't touch their "service" with a ten foot pole. I had Magnet 24Mbps for four months, during which time I _once_ measured NINE Mbps, most often it was around 2-3 Mbps. This after me having them run a line test prior to ordering, after which their "technician" said "oh, no problem here, your line is more than capable". Then, upon seeing speeds in the vicinity of single-line ISDN, I have had numerous phonecalls to their "support". Excerpt: "I am sorry, Sir, but your line is not capable of sustaining 24 Mbps, so we have capped it to 4 Mbps.". I said "First off the line was tested and verified for 24 Mbps prior to me placing my order. Secondly, have you also 'capped' your billing to 4 Mbps?". They responded, "I'm sorry, Sir?".

Ignorants, incompetents, fraudsters and general wastes of pulse. If you hate your money and enjoy aggrevation, go with magnet. Personally I find smoke signals to be both more reliable and provide higher bandwidth.

wow magnet must have seriously p1ssed ya off ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I get a typical 19Mbps on the 24Mbps package, my line should handle more, but somehow it has never lived up to the promise. No major problems so far but their customer support has been shown to be below par on a regular basis - despite the efforts of their rep Rory here. Information and billing details could be much better too - the bill breakdown is a model of murkiness. I opted for them over UPC because of a horrible history with NTL customer support, but to be honest there's probably ups and downs to either provider.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Stay away. I wouldn't touch their "service" with a ten foot pole. I had Magnet 24Mbps for four months, during which time I _once_ measured NINE Mbps, most often it was around 2-3 Mbps. This after me having them run a line test prior to ordering, after which their "technician" said "oh, no problem here, your line is more than capable". Then, upon seeing speeds in the vicinity of single-line ISDN, I have had numerous phonecalls to their "support". Excerpt: "I am sorry, Sir, but your line is not capable of sustaining 24 Mbps, so we have capped it to 4 Mbps.". I said "First off the line was tested and verified for 24 Mbps prior to me placing my order. Secondly, have you also 'capped' your billing to 4 Mbps?". They responded, "I'm sorry, Sir?".

Ignorants, incompetents, fraudsters and general wastes of pulse. If you hate your money and enjoy aggrevation, go with magnet. Personally I find smoke signals to be both more reliable and provide higher bandwidth.

The service is dependand on line quality. If you were not advised of this we can look into the sales call to check.

alastair wrote: »
    I get a typical 19Mbps on the 24Mbps package, my line should handle more, but somehow it has never lived up to the promise. No major problems so far but their customer support has been shown to be below par on a regular basis - despite the efforts of their rep Rory here. Information and billing details could be much better too - the bill breakdown is a model of murkiness. I opted for them over UPC because of a horrible history with NTL customer support, but to be honest there's probably ups and downs to either provider.

I can check your max bitrate if you like.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mediator, just because Rory works for Magnet does not give you an excuse to be abuse towards him or the company he works for. Please remain civil.

• Advertisement

Good Grief. You guys must have your heads loged pretty far up you-know-where. The "service" - I honestly doubt anyone in your organisation knows the meaning of this word - is ofcourse dependant on a lot of factors. If you bothered to read what I wrote - and I apologise if this is a task too monumental to ask of you - you would have noticed that I had one of you worthless people run a line test prior to signing with you useless wastes of pulse. I was assured that there should be no problem synching at full speed on my line. This came as no surprise to me, as I pretty much live on top of my exchange. Nonetheless, delivering 2-3Mbps and billing for 24 is fraud. You thieving bastards.

//L

If you want help please PM me. Please stop posting abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Luigi 91

Thanks for the replies guys.

Advertisement