Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet that does young neutering (cats)

Options
  • 21-08-2010 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Does anyone know of a vet who does early neutering?

I have a 4 month old male kitten who has all his shots but has recently started to venture outside. He came in today badly bloodied and scratched by the outside feral cats that wander around our area. I try to keep him in but have found it near impossible.

My vet in Swords won't do it before 6 months (I asked them on 3 different occasions and each time they've actually told me I have to wait until all his baby teeth fall out and his adult teeth come in before they would do it. What on earth do his teeth have to do with his neutering???)

I called the DSPCA and they told me to wait till 6 months. I don't understand why, because in the US I know they do it as young as 8 weeks!

I live in North Co. Dublin so if anyone knows of a vet nearby willing to do early neutering, could you please let me know? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Try the vet college in UCD maybe? They recommend neutering at 4-5 months for cats so they will probably do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Tinerua, having him neutered will stop him roaming great distances, but it won't stop him going into your garden and maybe over the wall and into the gardens around him. It also won't stop the feral cats around coming into your yard. If this is a scrap over territory it will persist even after neutering.

It's a great idea to get your kitten neutered, absolutely - just be aware there are other things you'll need to do if you want to cut out the chance of a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

This is true, I have two neutered kittens (just over a year old) and have had both of them at the vet as they were attacked by other cats. The bites get infected and may cause abscess to form, very sore and dangerous so keep an eye on them and keep them in at night if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tinerua

Many thanks for your replies. I know that neutering won't stop the other feral cats from coming around and possibly getting in a scrap with my kitten. I suppose what just has me worried is that he seems to be quite "taken" with the female feral cat that hangs around the area (whose as wild as they come and fierce as anything), and she always seems to be in heat.

I'm afraid that even at his tender young age he can sense she's in heat and start gettin amorous with her. (It was her that clocked him last night and left him bloodied.) I was hoping that getting him fixed would make him leave her alone.

I guess I just don't understand why I have to wait until he's right on the brink of sexual maturity to do it. My sister works as Vet Tech in the US, and they do it much sooner over there because the recovery time is quicker for the animal and it minimizes risk of the animal getting preggers in case they happen to reach maturity a bit sooner than 6 months.

Either way, I plan to get him done, but just thought I'd ask if anyone knew whether any vets do the same over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Your best bet is probably to ring around and find a vet that will do it. Castrations in cats at a younger age are far more common than they used to be, because they are not particularly major comapred to a spay, so you are bound to find a vet close to you that does them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement