Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning Down Hampstead for Larkfield?

• 21-08-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I am going into 1st year this year (hopefully!) and I have heard that Hampstead is sometimes offered to people who did well in the LC...

I would rather live in Larkfield because its full of first years.

Is there a way that I can turn down Hampstead if its offered and get Larkfield?

EDIT: I think I put Larkfield ahead of Hampstead on the form (if there was a preference thing on the application) If that makes any difference..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

I dunno if you can do that, it's causing more work to an already overworked system. But there might be loopholes.

Either way, I think you're MAD to turn down Hamp in favour of Lark. Lots of 1st years in Hamp too. Also, if you like to sleep, have your own bathroom and space to actually move in, Larkfield fails. It's like turning down a relatively quiet flat to live in a box full of noisy people.

Just my opinion though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

You'll regret it if you do, you'll be trading a 30 second walk to the other first years for a 5 second walk and a much worse place to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Really, you don't want to turn down Hampstead for Larkfield. Trust us on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

when you turn down your first offer for accommodation you'r put right back at the bottom of the list again

i had hampstead in first year, i had mates in larkfield so i got to have a good look around, larkfield is like living in soviet Russia, very cramped, very cold and oppressed (eg common rooms being locked up)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

The downside for prospective first years however is that you are more than likely going to be living with non-first years which may make making friends with people slightly harder. As such, I’d recommend you stick with Larkfield.

:confused:
    Is there nothing to be said for living in Larkfield for the social aspect, when everyone is new?

I think I heard a few say on here that they regretted going into Hampstead 1st year because Larkfield is great craic (albiet slightly impoverished:p)

Is there many first years in Hampstead? Did all ye live there in 1st year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I was in Larkfield in first year, and to be quite honest I'm delighted I didn't get Hampstead. Had a great time in Larkfield this year.

To answer your question, though, I think you back to the bottom of the list if you refuse your first choice so I'd take whichever one you're offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I lived in Larkfield in first year. It was lovely. Maybe a little cramped, but I look back on that year fondly. Great craic.

Of course, the quality of accommodation you get in Hampsted is genuinely far, far, far better than Larkfield.

If I were you, I'd just take whatever I get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Even if you want to go out loads, you can just make a friend in Larkfield, and hang out there.

There was honestly times I wanted to kill people in Larkfield.

First night there, the fire alarm went off at 2 in the morning and we all had to stand outside till it stopped. (this was a fairly regular occurrence).

I had to learn to sleep through the sound of people yelling, as the courtyard carried sound so clearly I could hear everything said outside. People coming back from nights out tend to make a lot of noise, and they kept coming, up till 5 in the morning.

I'm living in Hampstead next year and looking forward to it, actually having a couch and a kitchen table and all. Its nice living somewhere quieter. Parties are fun untill you're the person in the room under with a migraine and an assignment to do.

I just got an email from DCU Res saying you will get an offer according to your prefrences (Im almost positive that I put Larkfield first)

Maybe I was wrong about the high points in Hampstead thing? Anybody else heard of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I've never heard of that.

• Advertisement

Well they say high points get first pick. So maybe the only way you can get into Hampstead as a first year is if you put it down as your first choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

DC09 wrote: »
    I just got an email from DCU Res saying you will get an offer according to your prefrences (Im almost positive that I put Larkfield first)

Maybe I was wrong about the high points in Hampstead thing? Anybody else heard of that?

I lived in Hampstead as a 1st year in 07-08 and there was no one living there as a first year with less than 500 points in the leaving. Hampstead is great craic, there was 2 houses of first year with 5/6 apartment of 5 or 3 people in each house. You get a decent kitchen and living area in Hampstead too.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

I was in hampstead first year 08-09 and i had 465 points, it's not just for 500+

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Cid-Highwind

I lived in Larkfield in first year, we had great fun. I know first years who lived in Hampstead and College park, they had great fun too.

As long as you live anywhere on res you can get in to res at night, so living in hampstead won't stop you getting to any parties in larkfield.

Larkfield has a great atmosphere sometimes, and I loved living there, but it's also a shanty town with all too frequent false fire alarms. If you get it then great, if not at least you can still go in there and go back to your nice kitchen and private bathroom in hampstead at the end of the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I lived in Hampstead from 08-09 (with 385 points in the leaving). Got a room with a double bed, it was awesome! All my roommates were 1st years and all my neighbours were 1st years. It was class, would never ever take Larkfield over Hampstead, been in a good few larkfield apartments.

We made mates with people from Larkfield, hung around there a few times but mostly we found that our apartment was being used as pretty much a common room for all the larkfield heads and our neighbours hah.

I lived in Hampstead from 08-09 (with 385 points in the leaving). Got a room with a double bed, it was awesome! All my roommates were 1st years and all my neighbours were 1st years.
    Would they tend to put the 1st years in Hampstead together? That doesnt sound too bad!

I didnt get my accomodation offer yet as Im getting a 50% subsidised room.
    I dont know if this subsidised craic means I'll be more likely to get one complex rather than the other..

Should get the letter this week, anyways:)

I think the 50% off is mainly reserved for Larkfield rooms for first years. I got it last year and know a few people who did, all in Larkfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I got the subsidised last year in Larkfield and this year in Hampstead, it has nothing to do with where you get (although apparently they're more likely to give places to those who qualify).

I got the ground floor Larkfield today, so happy out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blacon

Larkfield is the number one place to be for first year. Had an amazing time there in my first, and its your only chance to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mann32

I'm on the ground floor in Larkfield as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I lived in hampstead for 2nd and 3rd year so im going to say that it is superior to Larkfield in terms of space / ensuite / kitchen facilities but Larkfield cant be matched for fun and getting to know people. I went up there not knowing a single soul. The common rooms were great (when they were actually opened).

My advise for any incoming first year is to live in Larkfield. You can live in a villa for the rest of your life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Well you could spend a sizeable proportion of your time around Larkfield even if you don't have to endure its squalid rooms.

I'd be all for Hampstead but that's probably biased after a year of cramped discomfort in Larkfield. Good craic though.

(when they were actually opened).
    How often are they open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hamkie2

you're flat was the place to be in first year mags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

DC09 wrote: »
    How often are they open?

Up until 12am I think it is. Until they get trashed and closed for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lucyc95

hi i know i'm probably too late but I think I've made the same mistake of putting Hampstead over Larkfield :( did Hampstead work out for you in the end?

Advertisement