Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my deposit back

Options
  • 21-08-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

So, the landlord wants to evict us because my housemate threw one too many parties and the neighbours aint happy. We promised not to throw any other parties and we havent since they complained, and there is no damage done to the house. But now the guards have gotten involved (this has totally been blown out of proportion!). We only have a lease till the end of august anyway, but is the landlord allowed to keep our deposits because of noise complaints?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Ha, Ha delighted :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Hopefully he is, I went through 2 years of a nightmare living beside ignorant inconsiderate fools with their loud music and screaming at 5am. Not being able to sleep in your own home is not funny.

If every landlord evicted and kept deposits from these ignorant people this would teach them some manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

ah there was only 3 parties, and it didnt last all night, only till 1 or so. there hasnt been a party in 2 weeks since the neighbours complained and we said we wouldnt have any more people over to the house. im actually asking an honest question, can the landlord keep the deposit because of noise complaints?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

No your landlord can't keep you deposit over this

From Citizens Information:

Deposits
    As a landlord, you may withhold a deposit (or part of a deposit) only if:

The tenant has not given you proper notice when leaving
    You have been left with outstanding bills (i.e., public utilities) or rent
    The tenant has caused damage beyond normal wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Ah, as i hoped. thank god!

• Advertisement
Advertisement