Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to never play for ROI again.

• 21-08-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Just been on Premier Soccer Saturday. Stephen Ireland has says he'll never play for us again. Oh well, I for one am delighted. Don't need someone like him playing for us. It's a privilege to play for Ireland.

Good riddance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I got over the S. Ireland crap a long time ago.
    Would have been nice to have a top player like him in the team but meh..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

WHAT!!!!

This is an outrage, and completely unexpected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

You have to want to play for your country. he doesn't. Lets move on. We're betther off working with people than against them. Stephen ireland will only be a footnote in the scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

WHAT!!!!

This is an outrage, and completely unexpected.

Certainly is.

At least we have closure(hopefully) now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Holy Sh*t!

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS EXCLUSIVE?

was wondering why he wasn't included in the latest squad. That puts that one to bed so :D

• Advertisement

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Holy Sh*t!

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS EXCLUSIVE?

was wondering why he wasn't included in the latest squad. That puts that one to bed so :D

Yawn, well done on using a joke already used. Try and be a bit more creative. Good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

bald bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'm sure if the FAI was paying him he'd be over here like a shot.
    I'm sure he'd be able to pry himslef away from his precious "Saw trilogy" for a couple of days if this were the case.

Glazers Out!

He'd rather win the Premiership than WC? What is his problem, besides being unable to tell if his grannies are alive or dead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

A thread about Stephen Ireland?!?!?!?! In the soccer forum!?!?!?!

I'm shocked. Appalled even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The bloke's more interested in club football than international football. It's really that simple and he's entitled to feel that way. As someone else said, i'm completely over this now at this stage.

James McCarthy put in a decent performance tonight for Wigan, the likes of him are the future for Ireland.

Stephen Ireland is full of himself and we shouldn't be enlarging that ego of his by constantly questioning him about his country's activities.

He's a bit weird and a big mouth who likes to go all Roy Keane at times. This press conference for his Villa move is a case in point. Slagging off young players at City cos they are walking around wearing ten thousand pound watches, yet he's driving around in a pimped up range rover.

The bloke is a quality player, he really is and Aston Villa have got such a great deal out of his transfer from City. But he is clearly loving the attention he gets out of all the international talk. So just bury it. He doesn't want to play. End of story. We move on trying to qualify for Poland/Ukraine with players who are proud of their roots.

°°°°°

monkey9 wrote: »
    We move on trying to qualify for Poland/Ukraine with players who are proud of their roots.

His roots were one of the problems as I remeber, that "hair" wasn't fooling anyone. At least he didn't take to wearing hats like the Edge.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

"Watching Villa on television playing in Vienna this week it just felt that I had been here a long time because I have immediately felt at home."

I guess thats because he wasn't on the pitch ;)

°°°°°

jaykay74 wrote: »
    "Watching Villa on television playing in Vienna this week it just felt that I had been here a long time because I have immediately felt at home."

I guess thats because he wasn't on the pitch ;)

Post of the day surely.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It's beyond a joke at this stage lads.

nullzero wrote: »
    Post of the day surely.

Ah your roots pun was a good one in fairness! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Great news for Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Great news for Villa.
    Why?
    Do you think him being odd as fcuk will not effect villa?
    Good player but complete tit who i expect to follow the Stan Collymore road to stardom and retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

micks wrote: »
    Why?
    Good player but complete tit who i expect to follow the Stan Collymore road to stardom and retirement

Ah but if he was playing for Ireland all the quirks with him would not matter to anyone who knocks him

micks wrote: »
    Why?

I think it will have no effect on Villa at all. He was never a problem for City. He's a quality footballer who loves playing club football.

I agree with Openroad. It's a great signing for Villa and the fact that he still refuses to play for his country is even better for Villa.

Stephen Ireland will prove a better signing for Villa than Milner will for City. (Plus, Villa received millions from City as well)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

25irhuh.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

His body, his choice ...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Brady was gas on The Premiership earlier when asked what Ireland meant about the "strange" meeting they had.

"I don't think it was the meeting that was strange. I think he's the strange one"

Brady summed it up there. Now lets move on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Meh, if the lad doesnt wanna play for Ireland fair enough. No point in having someone on the team who just isnt in it.
    besides being unable to tell if his grannies are alive or dead?

And that hasnt been used thousands of times? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I can understand people bringing this up. After all he is a v good player who coul d play for us and we have precious few really top class players in midfield.
    I hoped that after the world cup and his absence from city team for alot of last season might have brought a change in perspective from him and he would see the value of playing for his country. Obviously I was a bit niaive.

I thought him criticising the younger players on their spending was a bit of a pot, kettle and black situ.

Anyone got a video of his interview posted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Great decision by Steven. His football career developed ten fold when he left the international scene. Fair fcuks to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

can we make it a bannable offense to libel stehen by suggesting he has a pink land-rover or that he ever drove that car? its really beginning to piss me off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

he was quoted as saying in THE STAR ON SUNDAY as saying, when he was in the underage ireland squad he had to get a train to dublin and then a bus to the training ground, all the lads from outside dublin never got a look in, poor little thing had to get a train of all things to go play for his country, fck off stephen yer a knob

almanu wrote: »
    he was quoted as saying in THE STAR ON SUNDAY as saying, when he was in the underage ireland squad he had to get a train to dublin and then a bus to the training ground, all the lads from outside dublin never got a look in, poor little thing had to get a train of all things to go play for his country, fck off stephen yer a knob

it is ridiculous that it was harder for non-dubs to get a look in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

can we make it a bannable offense to libel stehen by suggesting he has a pink land-rover or that he ever drove that car? its really beginning to piss me off
    So he never was photographed driving it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

It didn't deter John O'Shea, Kevin Doyle, Stephen Hunt, Shay Givens and many many more. Stephen is just a spoilt, self-interested, egotist. Lets all just forget about him, i certainly don't want my kid to look up to him, playing in a green jersey. I can certainly point to Shay Givens, Richard Dunne, Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane and many many more who wear the jersey with pride and respect the joy it must give their families and communities when they pull it on. Stephen Ireland is exactly when we don't want our kids to turn into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

'whos' never going to play for ireland again?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

DILLIGAF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

He's a creep that likes the sound of his own voice

So he never was photographed driving it? :confused:

nope just sitting in his wife's car for a photo op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Are people really that offended by his decision or do they just dislike him? Personally i don't give a care for international football and just think its a distraction from club football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

roy keane was the same little chip on his shoulder antidub tw@t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

nope just sitting in his wife's car for a photo op

Just as bad as the range rover IMO :P

article-1126666-0332590D000005DC-980_468x286.jpg

°°°°°

He's a creep that likes the sound of his own voice

He's definitely not a rebel or a class act, nor does he stand up to bullies.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

He said the exact same stuff about feeling at home at city. But rips into them when he left.
    The funny thing is, we were so close to qualifying for the world cup, chances are we would have with him. He would be moving to a much bigger club than villa after a decent world cup performance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Paparazzo wrote: »
    He said the exact same stuff about feeling at home at city. But rips into them when he left.
    The funny thing is, we were so close to qualifying for the world cup, chances are we would have with him. He would be moving to a much bigger club than villa after a decent world cup performance

Its like the Roy Keane saga... Im glad he left, if you walk out on your team you dont deserve to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Nozebleed wrote: »
    bald bastard.

Ah here, no need to bring baldness into it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Fcuk him let him off, bald asshole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Posted in the other thread that this story was going to be in the papers, all I say is try and find the interview and make your own mind up but don't take the sensational headlines and believe everything you read

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Mod Note

Lads lets keep the personal abuse out of this,we are all grown adults right...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Hard to get to the truth of this whole situation with Ireland.

One thing though, if the rumours about him being bullied by some of his team-mates in the Irish squad were true, then I wouldn't blame Stephen Ireland for not wanting to play.

Even if it's not true, this villification of a young man is out of order. He doesn't want to play for Ireland, so what, we're not fúcking North Korea. If someone isn't patriotic, it's hardly a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Stephen Ireland is a half educated half wit. He is completely lacking in class and our international team is well shut of him. Let’s just forget about him and move on. As a foot note, Robbie Keane is a gentleman and a proud Irishman who gives 100% for club and country; you will never here Robbie bad mouthing anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The truth is .....

Today is Stephen Ireland's birthday. I only remember because I saw it once and it's two days before mine*.

For a birthday present this year, he decided to get himself an edition of the Sunday papers with his picture in them and his birthdate in the top corner. :D

*I want a big red truck and a tractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Dub13 wrote: »
    Well he was never going to win the world cup with Ireland.

Wrong.Most over rated Irish player ever = Robbie 'on the move' Keane.

As a Mod maybe you should not be bringing Robbie keane into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Great player two years ago. Might have lost some of that warming the bench last year.

He has problems but at least he can finish his aquarium.

• Advertisement
Advertisement