Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation near LIT

Options
  • 21-08-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi Guys, I havent booked any accommodation for LIT, or anywhere, But now Im sure I will be going here due to points etc.

Anyone know of any decent accommodation at or around LIT, Cheapish aswell

Ill be an incoming first year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You can be almost sure that any cheap accommodation is gone by now with 2nd and 3rd years keeping an eye out for them! I got lucky myself regarding location and price.

There is the two student villages, Cratloe Woods and Thomond Village if you don't get any place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Blueshooter

mars bar wrote: »
    You can be almost sure that any cheap accommodation is gone by now with 2nd and 3rd years keeping an eye out for them! I got lucky myself regarding location and price.

There is the two student villages, Cratloe Woods and Thomond Village if you don't get any place.

I was thinking that, but thanks very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sleezyandy

I live about 5 mins from lit and the villages are very close to a rough area especially thomond village id avoid it at all costs. There is nice accomidation near dunnes stores behind ivans in clonmacken. I live in caherdavin theres always lots of houses around for rent cheap and its quite
    http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/limerick/caherdavin/

ennis road would be nice aswell just stay away from the student villages bud!

sleezyandy wrote: »
    I live about 5 mins from lit and the villages are very close to a rough area especially thomond village id avoid it at all costs. There is nice accomidation near dunnes stores behind ivans in clonmacken. I live in caherdavin theres always lots of houses around for rent cheap and its quite
    http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/limerick/caherdavin/

ennis road would be nice aswell just stay away from the student villages bud!

I heard Thomond isn't great alright, but the 2 years I spent in cratloe, I never had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

You don't automatically have to try Caherdavin side of LIT. Plenty of places nearby around Thomond Park area. Had a look at rent.ie and found these two, judging by the map they are only about a five minute walk from LIT.

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Sexton-Street-North-Thomondgate-Co-Limerick/943309/

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Sexton-Street-North-Thomondgate-Co-Limerick/918705/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

i got a place in cratloe. rang up lit and they recommended thomond:eek:! dont see why tho if its further than cratloe and sounds to be rough from what iv read on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ROCE1977

Limerick is like that all over. Nice estate next to a bad estate. All part of your education! lol:p

There is no part of Limerick (maybe even Ireland) that is 100% safe. Like anywhere you go, don't do anything you wouldn't do at home, safety wise anyway:D

Walking around with an ipod dangling from your neck etc is just asking for trouble, no matter where you are. Similar with walking along on your own yapping into your mobile. There is always a chance that somebody unsavoury might try and mug you.

Saying that, I've been a student in Limerick for the past 10 years (don't ask) and I never have had any trouble. Yes I have seen things happen, and heard of others but I could say that about a lot of places. Avoiding potential trouble often boils down to common sense.

Yep being streetwise goes along way.

RonMexico wrote: »
    You don't automatically have to try Caherdavin side of LIT. Plenty of places nearby around Thomond Park area. Had a look at rent.ie and found these two, judging by the map they are only about a five minute walk from LIT.

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Sexton-Street-North-Thomondgate-Co-Limerick/943309/

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Sexton-Street-North-Thomondgate-Co-Limerick/918705/

Who ever gets these will be lucky. Close to the college and they look like neat houses.

• Advertisement

those houses on Sexton street are small. But they are about 700meters from LIT. I'm from Limerick and If I was you guys I'd stay west of Hassetts Cross. North circular road, Ennis road, Catherdavin, and Clareview. Much nicer houses up there. 4-5 bed house en suites etc. Probably pay about 900 a month. But divide that with 3 others and you'll get better bang for your buck. And have a better place for the odd party!

Here are a few about 1km. Ten min walk away. http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/limerick/ennis-road/

You should also try this website for listings, I've found it to be good in the past.

http://www.collegecribs.ie

It allows you to do a search based on what college you are attending. Handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jenbelle

Hi...im staying in thomond. 1st year girl and know nobody...scared ALOT. oh dear..any advice for me? ha :(

jenbelle wrote: »
    Hi...im staying in thomond. 1st year girl and know nobody...scared ALOT. oh dear..any advice for me? ha :(

You'll be fine! :)

You'll get to know those you live with fairly quickly and you'll probably find yourself gravitating to people in your course quickly too. The first few people I met in college are the ones I'm closest to.

Thats what everyone says. Tis just a bit daunting. LOL thanks Mars bar :P

Hi Guys, I havent booked any accommodation for LIT, or anywhere, But now Im sure I will be going here due to points etc.

Anyone know of any decent accommodation at or around LIT, Cheapish aswell

Ill be an incoming first year

Im a 1st year too and i booked "thomond Village" the area isnt great but the security is a1.. its 69/79 a week which you can pay in different ways...all together, in post dated cheques. its quite affordable. all bills are included in the price at the start. hope this helps :)

seriously I know your all young, first time from home. But the way you all post you make Limerick out to be **** hole. IT'S NOT. Compared to the other
    cities in the country its heaven. And I'm don't care what people from any other town has to say. I've lived here best part of my life. And like the Song Limerick is a lady. Great people and great place.

Slagging a place before you gert there isn't on. I've travelled in my time. I've been all over the world. And no person i;ve meet are better then the people of Limerick

ROCE1977 wrote: »
    seriously I know your all young, first time from home. But the way you all post you make Limerick out to be **** hole. IT'S NOT. Compared to the other
    cities in the country its heaven. And I'm don't care what people from any other town has to say. I've lived here best part of my life. And like the Song Limerick is a lady. Great people and great place.

Slagging a place before you gert there isn't on. I've travelled in my time. I've been all over the world. And no person i;ve meet are better then the people of Limerick

I've been in Limerick 2 years now. Never had a problem there, but it's not a patch on Galway or the people of Galway! :pac:

See, we're all a bit biased.

Limerick is not a bad place at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

those houses on Sexton street are small. But they are about 700meters from LIT. I'm from Limerick and If I was you guys I'd stay west of Hassetts Cross. North circular road, Ennis road, Catherdavin, and Clareview. Much nicer houses up there. 4-5 bed house en suites etc. Probably pay about 900 a month. But divide that with 3 others and you'll get better bang for your buck. And have a better place for the odd party!

Here are a few about 1km. Ten min walk away. http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/limerick/ennis-road/

QFT.

I would avoid Thomond Village like the plague. Take it from someone who lived in Limerick the last five years and knows the place as well as I know home. I lived in Thomond in first year, great for meeting new people, but it's deteriorated massively since then. If you're going with a student village, go with Cratloe. I'd actually advise 1st years to go for a village first, especially if they don't know anybody. Best way of meeting people.

Good luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

The first house party that u go to... ull get over any nerves in no time, People in the houses are great 95% of the time :)

• Advertisement

I really shouldn't post when I've been on the piss. lol Got a bit passionate about Limerick. Another night and I'd call the place a sh1thole too. lol:p

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

I heard Thomond isn't great alright, but the 2 years I spent in cratloe, I never had a problem.

I spent 2 years in Cratloe too.It was fine (and cheap) until I Woke up one Sunday in middle of night to some scumbag in my room. There was two of them with hoodies up in my house. I chased them out the back door and over the wall into that dirty estate behind it (cant remember the name of it). Managed to catch one who had a box of coins (all pennies") and thumped the face clean off him. I ran after the other guy but lost him down an alley.

The other guy got away with my phone. I called the Guards who arrived about 2 hours later, in the meantime I rang my phone and was told by someone on the other end not to call again and they were going to come back and kill me.

I quickly moved to another house, thankfully Cratloe wasnt full at the time.

I spent 2 years in Cratloe too.It was fine (and cheap) until I Woke up one Sunday in middle of night to some scumbag in my room. There was two of them with hoodies up in my house. I chased them out the back door and over the wall into that dirty estate behind it (cant remember the name of it). Managed to catch one who had a box of coins (all pennies") and thumped the face clean off him. I ran after the other guy but lost him down an alley.

The other guy got away with my phone. I called the Guards who arrived about 2 hours later, in the meantime I rang my phone and was told by someone on the other end not to call again and they were going to come back and kill me.

I quickly moved to another house, thankfully Cratloe wasnt full at the time.

Did that happen in the past two years?! I remember Vinny telling me about that if it did!

We had one incident where a guy knocked on our door and when our housemate opened it, he pushed her against the wall, banging her head so hard off it that it put a hole in the wall! A couple of the lads that we had over managed to get him out but he kept coming back. We had the security posted at the door for the whole night.

That's the only proper trouble we had.

Other problems were just with Cratloe itself, as in trying to get appliances fixed and getting fixtures and fittings that should have been there in the first place.

Grand otherwise.

Did that happen in the past two years?! I remember Vinny telling me about that if it did!

We had one incident where a guy knocked on our door and when our housemate opened it, he pushed her against the wall, banging her head so hard off it that it put a hole in the wall! A couple of the lads that we had over managed to get him out but he kept coming back. We had the security posted at the door for the whole night.

That's the only proper trouble we had.

Other problems were just with Cratloe itself, as in trying to get appliances fixed and getting fixtures and fittings that should have been there in the first place.

Grand otherwise.

I got held up at gunpoint once. Fun times!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

lOCK your doors .....

joke you'l be fine

Richy06 wrote: »
    I got held up at gunpoint once. Fun times!

You win! :pac:

I did work in the Spar that serviced Moyross though. There used to be a little shop in Moyross but the young scum burnt it out and Supervalu is over the other side. Most the people are fine but it's the young lads - Penny Boys for the gangs in the area - that create the most ****e. Just don't walk to or from Thomond on yer own after dark. That stretch from Spar down to Thomond especially.

Now I'm not trying to scare anybody, just trying to forewarn of places/things to be wary of.

Grove Island is a grand place for anyone that's going to the art college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I did work in the Spar that serviced Moyross though. There used to be a little shop in Moyross but the young scum burnt it out....

G'way?? Didnt know about that at all! That spar had the sexiest rolls ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Have a number for a guy with few houses near LIT if anyone wants a PM let me know.

• Advertisement

I did work in the Spar that serviced Moyross though. There used to be a little shop in Moyross but the young scum burnt it out and Supervalu is over the other side. Most the people are fine but it's the young lads - Penny Boys for the gangs in the area - that create the most ****e. Just don't walk to or from Thomond on yer own after dark. That stretch from Spar down to Thomond especially.

Now I'm not trying to scare anybody, just trying to forewarn of places/things to be wary of.

Grove Island is a grand place for anyone that's going to the art college.

Your right, like I posted earlier. A bit of common sense goes along way. I don't know about you all. But I wouldn't walk anywhere in a urban area after dark if I wasn't from around that area.

Street wise people, crime always happens when you least expect it.
    Go out drinking get a taxi home, or walk in a group. Its the simple things that work.;)

On Tuesday at registation, we had a bit of a laugh about a lad registering with a T shirt saying I love drinking fighting and smoking.
    Now if he happened to bump into a couple of trouble makers on his way back into town. With a T shirt saying that your sort of looking for trouble.

I thought the T-shirt was funny, but there are dick heads who would look at that as ... well you know what I mean.

Be like going to a Wolfetones concert with an England Jersey on. :p

Advertisement